Amiga Power Connectors

WonkeyDonkey

AmiBayer
Country
U.K
Region
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Hi all,

I've been looking at some replacement Amiga components of late and considering the issue of power connectors. Since the original pcb mount sockets are no longer available, I've been wondering if the original square connector could be substituted with a round one. These are readily available at retail and cost next to nothing, and the corresponding plugs are also readily available. Although these are more commonly used for audio and such, I don't see any obvious reason why they couldn't be used for power, given the low voltages involved. I spotted these particular ones on ebay with a nice metal front cover, and cheaper plain black plastic ones are available too:

DinSocket2.jpgDinSocket.jpg

Any thoughts if something like this could be a new alternative ?

Voltage won't be the issue, rather the current carrying capacity of the terminals (Ironically, the voltage being low adds to this problem). On the Commodore Plus 4 the computer also had a square power socket that could be replaced with one of the sockets you've shown, but only because the PCB footprint was identical, however, I'm not sure whether the Amiga socket footprint matches those sockets.

Bryce.

A few are suggesting max 5 amps @ 1 amp per pin. Im guessing thats not enough considering we get around 4.2 or 4.3 max on the 5 volt one ?

- - - Updated - - -

And then I come across this :

https://www.vesalia.de/e_psusocket.htm

A few are suggesting max 5 amps @ 1 amp per pin. Im guessing thats not enough considering we get around 4.2 or 4.3 max on the 5 volt one ?

Yup, that's a problem. The connector would get extremely hot if > 4A was permanently passing through it.

Bryce.

Back
Top Bottom