Storm

SYS64738
AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Hello Amiga Gurus,

I have upgraded my old OS3.9 BB4 installation to the new OS3.1.4 (with the eproms installed).
My A4000 has a CyberStorm MKII 060 @ 72MHz, Deneb USB with 4MB Flash ROM and a Picasso IV.

Now my questions are;

1. Should I use the maths libraries that come with OS3.1.4 OR still use the HSMathLibs?
2. Use Cosmos' 46.20 68060.library OR Thor's libraries?
a. I do have Thor's mmu.library installed with Cosmos' library ATM.
b. If using Thor's complete package, what MuTools do you recommend?
3. Not even a question, Peter K's latest icon.library is a must! :LOL:

Thanks in advance (y)

Last edited:
I am going to buy the 3.1.4 for my A4000 with a mk2 so interested to see what answers come back on this one

I'm not gonna "update" my trusty and stable AmigaOS 3.9 BB4 system with some Workbench 3.1.4 made by a belgian company; simply don't trust them anymore. HSMath Libs are the fastest around so stick with them. The same applies for icon.library as well. I don't recommend to use Cosmos' libraries. At least I didn't have a stable system either with 68060 or workbench or etc libraries. I guess because he's based on Apollos and not Cyberstorms?

I'm not gonna "update" my trusty and stable AmigaOS 3.9 BB4 system with some Workbench 3.1.4 made by a belgian company; simply don't trust them anymore. HSMath Libs are the fastest around so stick with them. The same applies for icon.library as well. I don't recommend to use Cosmos' libraries. At least I didn't have a stable system either with 68060 or workbench or etc libraries. I guess because he's based on Apollos and not Cyberstorms?
3.1.4 was not made by Hyperion, it was made by Amiga fans who actually know what they're doing.

Also, not sure why something made by a Belgian company would be bad in the first place.

For obvious reasons I didn't name them, just mentioned their origin. That doesn't mean that all belgian companies are bad.

Apparently, you have not followed my FastCache040+ thread and the FixMapP5 tool, which was developed to improve stability with the Phase 5 68060.libraries. I suggest you try the tool (with or without FastCache040+).

Also, with 0S 3.9 make sure your Stack size for Workbench and the Shell are set to 8192 minimum (But keep in mind that some Software Apps may require a much higher Stack size).

Then, report back here if your stability has not improved.

BTW, the Cosmos patches for the Phase 5 libraries are to enable support for 3rd party FPU libraries which has nothing to do with "Stability". ;)

P.S. I don't trust Hyperion either but a companies trust usually has nothing to do with the country it operates from.

Last edited:
For obvious reasons I didn't name them, just mentioned their origin. That doesn't mean that all belgian companies are bad.
Have a look at https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=73694a where Thomas explains what was done in detail. Pretty cool to read imo.

It is the first AmigaOS install where I didn't need any workarounds (winuae), patches, libs, fixes to get the OS running. It just worked first time on a CF of 16GB out of the box.

Last edited:
@ SpeedGeek

Thanks for the links, will try them out and report back my experience. Again, mentioned origin so everybody will understanding which company it is.

@ Amon_RA

Thanks to you too for the link. I trust Thomas Richter to the max.

Amiga OS 3.1.4 is very stable. I'm just trying to achieve the best install for my favourite machine. I'll give FixMapP5 a go and see what happens. I only have issues on a few WHDLoad titles with the 'Exception "Access Fault" ($4008) PC= $4C5A0 Long Read from $E2CEC4B9', whatever that means lol. I just assumed it's a 68060 thing.

So OS3.1.4 CPU libraries are the best at the moment?

A note on Cosmos' 68060.library, he did also remove a lot of redundant code, so the file is a similar size to the OS3.1.4 version.

About the WHDLoad, the best compabitle processor is a 68030. Try to use NOCACHE, NOMMU tooltypes.

About the WHDLoad, the best compabitle processor is a 68030. Try to use NOCACHE, NOMMU tooltypes.

Yeah, I have tried changing every tooltype known to mankind to try and fix that particular issue. Luckily I have other Amigas to run those titles, so I don't miss out ;)

... and yet Batman The Movie only works on my 060 machine and not the 030 one! 030 just goes black screen on me when launching the game! All other WHDLoad games are fine on the 030! I understand A500 Roms are needed for some games.

Maybe it's your setup? Batman the Movie works flawlessly here.

What version of WHDLoad are we all using? I’m running the latest beta.

FWIW - OS 3.1.4 doesn't have any 680x0 CPU libraries included. You have the accelerator OEM offerings for 68040/68060 (if provided), the MuLibs package which are Thor/Thomas R. offerings, or you can pick the 68040.library versions from the C= era, or the v44 68040.library offering from the V3.9 OS offering.

Also, the 3.1.4 CPU command no longer offers FastROM - use (in no specific order) OEM Kickstart remap tools (if applicable), features of your OEM CPU library offering, SpeedGeek's remap tools (support larger Kickstarts), MuLibs, or (for full 68030 CPUs) SetCPU 1.60. I'll note that for 68030's with MMU, the SetCPU FastROM command negates the CIIN errata warning, as does the MuLibs 68030.library. YMMV as to the best performance with your accelerator board design.

I personally think that OEM CPU libraries will be the best performing.

Back
Top Bottom