thanius

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Sweden
Region
Västerbotten
EDIT:
This thread tells the story of my journey of building my first Amiga tower. The project started with a towerization of my trusted old Amiga 600, but later on I realized that I wanted to play AGA games so I upgraded. Therefore the thread is called A600T but in fact today is a A1200T. :)
Thanks for checking it out!

/T

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´

I've got this blog up, but here's for you who don't read swedish.

The main goal of this project is to have a nice WHDLoad system with a nice menu (still waiting for Tiny Launcher and xBench) for me and my son (and upcoming son/daughter) to play with during the harsh winter nights of Sweden's northern forest country.

Without further ado, here's some progress:

K7Lqu007IkfezqbkRLgcV6pao1_400.jpg

Ian Steadman's wonderful work and a cheap plug I've ordered from France (so that I wouldn't have to slaughter my working PSU).

K7Lqu007Ikm9s6uctDzdBc4do1_400.jpg

K7Lqu007Ikm9tinnEOUB6fNro1_400.jpg

Soldering the plug into PERFECTION

K7Lqu007IlwajnrjroxuqYY6o1_400.jpg

First test-run - What a wonderful sight! Although I used to hate this purple screen since I had a faulty hard drive in my 600HD which would decide every other day to take a little nap. With the upcoming CFIDE, no more!

tumblr_l9tt1eLwu41qzxavmo1_400.jpg

Even though I started this project with a desktop chassi mod, I soon realized there wouldn't be much room for stuff - also, I didn't want to cut too much plastic in the front, I wanted the machine to look good! Got this ATX-case instead, donated from a friend.

tumblr_l9tt1eLwu41qzxavmo5_400.jpg

The joystick extension cables BARELY fit. Please, don't mind the soldering work. :roll:
I actually had quite some trouble making these, because of my fat soldering iron (I'm too cheap to get a smaller and better!) Also, I managed to make a straight connection the first times before I realized I had to swap places with the pins.

tumblr_l9tt1eLwu41qzxavmo4_400.jpg

1MB Chipmem I grabbed off eBay. Nice to have SIMMS instead of soldered memory in case I need to fix it some day.

tumblr_l9tt1eLwu41qzxavmo2_400.jpg

Case chaos! Thankfully, I've got lots of room and airflow for this tiny devil.

tumblr_l9vk88J2GQ1qzxavmo1_400.jpg

I needed something to make the machine easily identifiable. A case badge sticker would do!

tumblr_la8rewDu3a1qzxavmo1_400.jpg

The new ATX I/O shield made out of aluminium looks horrible from the behind! Luckily, only myself will be looking inside the case! All I need: Two DSUB9 ports, RCA connection and DIN5 connector for the Elbox keyboard adapter. Later on I'll install a port for the PS/2 mouse, but this would have to do for now.
Again folks, please don't mind the soldering. Although, by this time I've actually improved! Now all I need is proper tools.

tumblr_la8rewDu3a1qzxavmo2_400.jpg

It looks actually quite good from behind, especially with everything plugged in! Now for the ultimate test run:

tumblr_la8rewDu3a1qzxavmo3_400.jpg

TURRICAN 3 (so, so awesome!)

-- In the coming episodes:

• Installation of A608
  • Installation of CFIDE
  • Configuration of system
  • Buying WHDLoad key (!!)
  • Grab a PS/2 mouse adapter and hook up ports for the back
  • Installing mouse/joy autoswitch
  • Soldering/buying multiplayer adapter and move port 1/2 to front, replacing USB/Firewire ports
  • Playing awesome, awesome games all nights long!

Last edited:
@thanius -

that looks really cute indeed!!!!

since you are in a tower - theres a lot more you can add at virtually no extra cost -

like CD - Player, with the combination of 4 small resitors you can mix the CDROM and Amiga Audio outputs together.

The bonus here is that you can also run CDTV titles as well =)

Impressive bit of hacky - keep up the good work.

If you get some time - have a chat with an awsome amiga-fan Cammy on EAB - she
has done some amazing work with her A600!

Might I ask where you got the power connectors from?

ahhhh! The fine art of modding! :) That's the spirit mate, keep up the good work! (y)
@Z: I believe AmigaManiac has 'em!

A600T...

That's clever, I'm impressed. Lots of space in there to work on things.

Opposite of what I'm going to do with one though.

This is the first time I have seen a A600 Tower nice...(y)(y)

Chris :coffee:

@Buzzy

I wouldn't compare the two directly as they are different creations from different creators, each having a niche'

I have toyed many times in creating a small midi-tower build to bulding an A600 into DVD player chassis - perhaps even keeping the DVD player bit lol.

I love seeing the creative mind at work - its not only a joy to see but both a thrill and a source of continuious inspiration to draw from - I think its this why I am so in love with the Amiga Community to be sincerely honest.

Thanks for all the praise and support, this has been my baby for the past year. You can see the Compaq Deskpro case I was working on earlier on the blog.

Might I ask where you got the power connectors from?

I got mine from a french site I got from google, was really cheap too about €3 with shipping if I remember correctly. Really didn't want to chop up my PSU. AmigaManiac's looks exactly the same, and I like the look of that cable!

Part deux - Moar memz!!

Part deux - Moar memz!!

So, I finally got my A608 from Fitzsteve today (four days is a LOOONG wait! :D) and managed to get it working in the tower.
First thing that happened though was that I hadn't pressed it all the way down and the miggy roared to me with a red screen that all the memory had "BAD STATUS"! Eeek, I thought as I promptly shut it down. A firm press and it ran like a dream. Now I can finally run all the WHDLoad-games I want (Except, of course, the AGA ones. :| I want an A1200!) with WHOPPING 6 megs of RAM!

tumblr_lb0lu6HKJH1qzxavmo5_400.jpg

The card all installed and ready to go! Unfortunately, the CF-IDE-adapter I got yesterday which installs right onto the motherboard doesn't fit with the upgrade. Anyone got an idea how to fasten this one? I wonder if there are any longer 2.5" IDE-cables out there...

tumblr_lb0lu6HKJH1qzxavmo2_400.jpg

Swedish Chef says: 2 megs ooff cheepmem und 4 megs ooff FestREM. Hoo neece-a!
Also: Workbench in Swedish rocks.

tumblr_lb0lu6HKJH1qzxavmo4_400.jpg

Game-test: Superfrog! Awesome game. All of its four disks should be a great test for the board. Looks like it's going to be aaaaall right...

TO BE CONTINUED...
(Insert dramatic music here)

Awesome stuff thanius (y)

Very nice custom Amiga you have there :cool:

Glad the A608 is serving you well.

With regards to IDE cables, I got a much longer one from Amigakit and it can reach all the way to the HDD bays with plenty of cable to spare.

Or you could do like I have on my Tower and use and IDE-CF that mounts on the rear slots of the case so you can remove the CF easily without opening the case, these are usually 40pin so you'll need 40-44pin converter or better still 4Way Buffered IDE (Again from Amigakit) and then you can run a DVD/CD ROM and use normal 40pin HDD Cables.

Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is a fantastic project! Good work thanius :) And although its an A600 in there i'd be quite tempted to fill up a bit of that space in the tower with some bits and bobs ;)

Swap the 44 pin interface for a 44>40 pin IDE converter, then use an ordinary 40-wire IDE cable to a slot-screw-able CF adapter.

You'll have the ability to change the CF without having to open the tower.

Thanks for all the tips and praises!
Although I'm not sure whether or not I should put in an optical drive in it, what use would it have? Are there any CDTV only games worth grabbing?
Perhaps I should do as suggested and grab a slot-in for the CF, is it possible to have the LED connect to the HDD-led on the front?

Thanks for all the tips and praises!
Although I'm not sure whether or not I should put in an optical drive in it, what use would it have? Are there any CDTV only games worth grabbing?
Perhaps I should do as suggested and grab a slot-in for the CF, is it possible to have the LED connect to the HDD-led on the front?

I think its worth getting 4WayIDE & and optical drive (you can use a modern IDE DVD Drive) and then you open up to a wealth of CD Content, there are some great CD Games as well and many will work with 2mb Chip/4mb Fast. Look for wasted dreams, thats worth a play.

Amigakit do an LED Adapter for A1200 Towers, it won't work with the A600 but its a very simple solution so no doubt you could make your own with some basic soldering skills.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming (y)

Steve.

Should I need 4 way IDE if I am only to use a CF-adapter and CDROM? Or doesn't the IDE-port allow more than one connected unit?
The CDROM games looks promising, I had no idea there were ECS-compatible ones! Is it hard to find original copies of these?
Too bad I need AGA for OnEscapee and Payback, two games I had been watching back in the late 90's. :/

Should I need 4 way IDE if I am only to use a CF-adapter and CDROM? Or doesn't the IDE-port allow more than one connected unit?
The CDROM games looks promising, I had no idea there were ECS-compatible ones! Is it hard to find original copies of these?

You can find them on ebay and I have bought a from here/EAB.

I know you can run two devices off the A4000/A1200 IDE but I'm not sure about the A600 and in any case 4way IDE is quite cheap compared to other solutions and you can use standard 40pin cables after you install the 4Way IDE so you wont need to buy 40-44pin converters :cool:

Steve.

I think I'll grab a 2.5" to 2.5" and 3.5" from AmigaKit and then an older CDROM from the county surplus. It would be nice to have an easily removable CF but since I believe I won't be doing that all too often I think I'll stick with an internal solution.
After we've moved to the house in February (Uh, yeah - We bought a house this week) I'm going to set up a working area where I can solder undisturbed and build me some multiplayer-adapter! Hopefully by then I've grabbed all the things for the PS/2 mouse as well. So updates will be scarce from now on.

Ok, since I can't seem to get rid of my new PCMCIA angle adapter, I thought I might use it after all. Perhaps I should grab a WiFi-card and mount an external antenna on the case?
What else can one use the PCMCIA port for except for transfer, memory, CDROM and net?

Back
Top Bottom