Increase memory of A4000D

bobsmith2012

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Windsor, Victoria
Hi,

What would be the cheapest way to increase the memory in an A4000D with buster 9 ?

Currently has 2mb chip and 16mb fast on the motherboard and the A3640 processor card.

Cards in it are Cybervision 64 and Deneb.

Thanks.

Cheapest: grab a slow Zorro 2 expansion memory as a C= A2058 and you'll have more 8Mb of (not so) FAST RAM.

You'll find some half length cards with the same amount of memory pretty cheap.

But if you really want to improve your A4000, grab some more money and go buy a ZoRAM (128 or 256Mb), true FAST RAM for Zorro3 Amigas (A3000, 4000 and tower variants) for ~£100 plus postage. [EDIT] Oops! I missed the "Buster 9" bit! Sorry.

In this case only one of the three other memory expansions: the Phase5 Fastlane (64Mb or 256Mb, pending on board version/update, "free" SCSI controller), the DKB 3128 (up to 128Mb, no SCSI) or the rare as hens teeth PPS ProRAM3000 (up to 64Mb of RAM in 30 pin SIMM).

Or go the "classic" accelerator route: you'll get both a faster system and more memory (and in some cases a "free" SCSI controller).

If I was to upgrade the buster to an 11 is there any conflict with having the zorram and the deneb in the machine ?

Hi!

I have an Apollo 4040 in my machine (40mhz 040) cracking accelerator card plus holds the full 128mb Fast Ram & has SCSI (although not currently using it) I'm very pleased with the Apollo (y)

I also have Buster 9 and my machine will not boot with the Z3 Fastlane in place, maybe I'm doing something wrong or Z3 or my Daughter Board are faulty, in any case I have a Mobo on the way with Buster 11 so I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Amigakit sell the Buster upgrade and I was going to get one before finding this Mobo/Tower kit.

Steve.

For building a whdload machine am I better off to use a A1200 or A4000 ?

A4000 is 040/25, A1200 has blizzard mk iv 030/50 with scsi board.

Trying to cut down on what I have sitting on my desk.

Thanks.

Hi,

For just WHDLoad Machine the A1200 + Bliz 1230 IV is perfect, a nice low profile 64mb Simm and you can close the trapdoor. You don't really need the SCSI kit but its a nice addition for an external CDROM (keeping PCMCIA free) and gives you potential to add up to another 128mb of Ram.

Its still a useable system if you want to dabble in some emulation or take your Amiga online + the PCMCIA is very useful for Networking/File Transfer.

The A4000 is the way to go if you want to have nore upgrade options in the future, Zorro slots will give you access to upgrades such as RTG Graphics, SCSI Options, Sound Cards, ZorRam or you could even go PCI with Mediator Di :cool:

I'm lucky to own both systems, and IMHO if its just for WHDload the I'd get the A1200 with Bliz 1230 IV (y)

Steve.

Actually do own both those systems, plus a 500 and a 600.

But don't have enough space to keep them all, so trying to cut down, without much luck.

Keep thinking that as soon as I get rid of a machine I'll find a perfect use for it.

Keep thinking that as soon as I get rid of a machine I'll find a perfect use for it.

indeed.... this is correct.... I cannot fault this logic as its the same as my own.... thus I now have

2 A500's
1 A500+
4 A600's
2 CDTV's
2 CD32's
1 A1000
4 A1200's
3 A2000's
1 A4000

of various upgrade levels from stock to 060's.... omg.... I have turned into fellow AmiBay'er Slayer!!!!!

and thats not mentioning the the various spare motherboards / adapters etc...

oh dear.... logic be damned!!!

anyway - you got Blizy SCSI on your A1200 - use that instead of the crappy IDE - you wont regret it!

you can get SCA80 2.5" SCSI hdd's for about £14 on fleabay - you can get an SCA80 to 50 pin adapter for next to nothing on there two.... all you need to do is then get AmigaKit tomake you a nice 25 - 50 way blizzard SCSI cable... and you are ROCKING!

I think Steve-o managed to get about 6MB per second with nominal CPU usage with his!!!

I was very impressed!

indeed.... this is correct.... I cannot fault this logic as its the same as my own.... thus I now have

2 A500's
1 A500+
4 A600's
2 CDTV's
2 CD32's
1 A1000
4 A1200's
3 A2000's
1 A4000

of various upgrade levels from stock to 060's.... omg.... I have turned into fellow AmiBay'er Slayer!!!!!

and thats not mentioning the the various spare motherboards / adapters etc...

oh dear.... logic be damned!!!

anyway - you got Blizy SCSI on your A1200 - use that instead of the crappy IDE - you wont regret it!

you can get SCA80 2.5" SCSI hdd's for about £14 on fleabay - you can get an SCA80 to 50 pin adapter for next to nothing on there two.... all you need to do is then get AmigaKit tomake you a nice 25 - 50 way blizzard SCSI cable... and you are ROCKING!

I think Steve-o managed to get about 6MB per second with nominal CPU usage with his!!!

I was very impressed!

Im confused :blink: I always thought for 50 pin SCSI you need a 50 pin drive, so Im forever looking for reasonable sized SCSI 50 pin HDDs that arent dying, and never find any!
So what your saying is I can get an 80pin SCSI drive and an adapter and use it with my Blizzard 1230IV SCSI kit in my A1200T? Have I got that right? If so, could you post links to the adaptor and a suitable drive? (y) (y)

Taj

In ebay look for item number 200517359031, its the adapter.

scsi drives something like item number 360309641569

In ebay look for item number 200517359031, its the adapter.

scsi drives something like item number 360309641569

Nice one Bob! Ill check it out when Im not on the thought police network (ie at work!) (y)

Back
Top Bottom