fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Well I was lucky enough to get an A4000 Motherboard complete with Elbox Power Tower last week, it needs a little work (retr0bright) and I'll need to save for upgrades, maybe after xmas it can see its full potential.

CSMkIII maybe :ninja:

However for now, using spares from my boxes of bits I've built a fully working Amiga albeit in a basic setup, crying out for RTG and a faster CPU though.

A4000D Motherboard with 030 CPU, 8mb Motherboard Ram & 48mb on Z3Fastlane which is driving the SCSI CDROM. Have also installed my X-Surf which is hooked up to a wireless gaming adapter, and yep - this gets online through my WiFi Network!

The other CDRoms/FDD's are PC drives just to fill the gaps as I have no blanking plates ;) DF0 is via the External FDD (assume that's what the Jumper on the Mother sets!)

As always I've taken some pics, however don't expect to make any further progress on this for a while :huh:

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

As I say this is work in progress, I'll get the front off and try my hand a Retr0brighting at some point.

Steve.

But how do you find all this material? :D
I hard to find an A4000 for a cheap price. :-(

But how do you find all this material? :D
I hard to find an A4000 for a cheap price. :-(

I found this one here on Amibay from Bebek! I guess I was just lucky! :cool:

Right place at the right time...

I'm also thinking once I get the case looking nice I might transfer the PicassoIV into the Tower and go Mediator Di in the desktop!

I'll need to really save my pennies!

Yes alot of potential there Steve, nice case too! :cool:

I will look for front bezzels just have`t had chance yet, wot with F1 at stupid O`clock and mum wanting me to do stuff

will see what I find this week

My latest acquisition for this little project, a PicassoII.

Just wanted a basic RTG for this system without all the frills and I must say, very impressed :cool:

The pass through is simple but works a treat on my system. As you've come to expect there are some pics :D

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Next planned upgrade basic 040 Accelerator, then a bad boy CS 060 when one comes up :ninja:

Hi Fitzsteve,

Always good to have look through your projects, also like your JVC monitor where did you get it, very smart indeed. (y)

Hi Fitzsteve,

Always good to have look through your projects, also like your JVC monitor where did you get it, very smart indeed. (y)

Hey DonAmiga,

Thanks for the kind words (y)

The JVC is just a HD LCD TV. I got from ebay for about £110 its great becuase it even takes the native 15khz Amiga Output!

The only snag is, for some reason Scart does not work from my Amiga's and consoles :(

Great for this kind of RTG setup thought with native passthrough.

Steve.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Hey guys!

I made a little video for my Youtube Channel :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2xQJU68HI

Enjoy!

Picked up my Elbox 1200 Tower today and have transplanted the front onto my A4000 Tower :)

Looking much better now:

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Still waiting for A3640 and some 30pin Simms to arrive, damn Royal Snail (n)

looking good there m8

well I`ve finally found the front bezels that I miss placed, so not that I think u need them now but if you do you know who to ribbit ;)

Just the esc key of my pc key board to find now its been missing for over a month now, its gone and escaped it has hehehehhehe :D

My A3640 arrived today from MarcB :D

The Card is immaculate, I took her for a quick test drive and she's running fine. I did have a couple of connection issues but I'm pretty sure thats becuase I don't have the little plastic standoffs, my set got lost in the post sending them out on loan.

Hopefully I can find another set soon and enjoy this great card! When I had it running there was a very decent speed boost.

As you've come to expect, pictures follow my little speech ;)

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Now you need to hack a little (OK, don't need to be tiny!) fan over the heatsink for reliable operation of the accelerator.

Or swap the original CPU for a hen's teeth MC version.

I'm living my upgrade fantasies vicariously through your upgrade:)

Looking great!(y)

...Looks great Steve! Super clean and tidy as usual :) and look at that lovely beastly Accelerator! WOW! I hope you get her running smoothly, and nice one Juvvy for helping with the standoffs (y)

...Looks great Steve! Super clean and tidy as usual :) and look at that lovely beastly Accelerator! WOW! I hope you get her running smoothly, and nice one Juvvy for helping with the standoffs (y)

Thanks mate (y)

Juvvy posted the stand off's today so with any luck I'll have some more updates over the weekend, plus hopefully my 30pin Simms will be here by then, damn I forgot how long stuff takes to arrive from USA lol :whistle:

A huge thanks to Mr JuvUK :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

OMG, the package I've been waiting for over three weeks from USA finally arrived today!

Got stung for 20 squids taxes (grrr) but I'm soon getting over that because my dream has (almost) been realised!

So whats tonights upgrade you ask?

16x 16mb 30pin Simms for a total of 256mb of Z3 Fast Ram!!!

4 CPU Stand Off's from JuvUK so I can fit my A3640 properly (thanks Juvvy)

And the A3640 of course!

IMG_0510.jpg

Now these Simms were a right bar steward to fit, so I just started with 4 and set the jumpers. Plugged in the card, switched on and prayed! Yippppeeeeeeeeeeee! 64mb Fast Ram :D

So we know it works with 16mb Simms! Great (y)

In goes the rest...

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

Ok so the more observant of you have spotted there is 48mb awol somewhere, I think some of the simms might have not gone in fully becuase they were so damn tight to fit, so they're all comming out and will be refitted!

More on that and the A3640 later!!! :cool:

Steve.

Last edited:
hi steve
that looks amazing what will use that much ram mate

hi steve
that looks amazing what will use that much ram mate

Thanks mate!

I only play Superfrog on it though :ninja:

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Another pic for you guys!

Fitted the A3640 with Mr JuvUK's stand off's: