PDA

View Full Version : Smoking 1200 help.

imnogeek
12th November 2008, 16:14
Today's not gone too well :(

I have recieved my Blizzard 1230 MKII and it was fussy about the 32MB SIMMs I put in (would only read 16MB per bank and errored on startup.) I understand that Blizzard is fussy compared to my Apollo so no fault of the Blizzard.
I decided to re-check SIMMs on my Apollo and in my haste did not plug board in properly, it smoked, my house stinks, and there are a few gold connectors missing off the 1200 Motherboard now. :evil:

BTW It still runs OK as long as you dont want to add an expansion board :roll:

Anyway I do have another 1200 Motherboard here, a bit tatty and old, so I need to start again.

I seem to remember that you needed a certain revision MB to use later ROMS, so before I blow something else up can someone tell me the pitfalls/problems I may have if I Mix and Match the following.

My smoked board is a Rev 10.4
I have V40.68 ROMS

My spare tatty board is a Rev 2B
it has V39.106 ROMS

I use an IDE buffer and external Keyboard in a Power Tower

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

I don't suppose this is the time to add my Computer Repair Company to my Sig :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zetr0
12th November 2008, 16:23
hello m8y,

the 10.4 board is infact a 1D.4 board to be exact :D.

sounds like you crispied the accelerator port, it might be possible to fix with a hot-air reworking, but depending on the damage it might not.

the other is a Classic 2B,

both boards will run perfectly any A1200 version of 3.0 or 3.1 kickstart so no worries there m8.

the only problem if memory serves is that *SOME* 2B boards need a timing fault repaired, have a scout arounf on eab.abime.net or amiga.org, these might give you more info on the timing fault fix.

I belive it only becomes aparent with some accelerators, not sure wich though m8,.....

best guess... try it :) (just make sure you are NOT rushing.....)

.... btw.... did i ever tell you about the time i set the A1200 motherboard on fire via the IDE ?! ... no?.... remind me to do so sometime lol...

Kin Hell
12th November 2008, 16:37
RE: /Re: Smoking 1200 help.

Tsk tsk Gary! :roll: - Vaseline any good? :mrgreen:

imnogeek
12th November 2008, 16:57
@ Zetr0

Thanks, transplanting MB now

@ Kin

are you posting in the right thread :lol:

Kin Hell
12th November 2008, 16:59
Just spreading it around m8. :lol:

Harrison
12th November 2008, 17:03
Vaseline and your skin type? I don't want to guess at how the next avatar update is going to look!

Zetr0
12th November 2008, 17:09
EeeeeeeEEEEeeeeeKKKKkkk!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.22992306.jpg

Charlie..... talk to me Charlie,.......

.... stay away from the light..... sttaaaaayyyy awayyyy from the liiiiiight!!!!!

Kin Hell
12th November 2008, 17:25
PMSL!! :lol: :mrgreen:

Merlin
12th November 2008, 17:59
EEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEwwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

:shock: :oops: :lol:

Kin Hell
12th November 2008, 18:43
I must pull myself together for tomorrow! :|

imnogeek
12th November 2008, 21:36
Update-- now up and running on other motherboard with Blizzard Mk II and 64MB RAM :)

have a spare 1200 Motherboard with some teeth missing.. but still works
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii77/c4all_storage/Burnt1200.jpg

The Apollo is a little burnt too
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii77/c4all_storage/apo.jpg

what are the chips left of the CPU (Mach210-12JC) and below/left of the battery (Mach210-15JC)??
as I have an empty socket on the Blizzard next to CPU and the apollo is for spares now.!
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii77/c4all_storage/Blizz.jpg

ZeBeeDee
12th November 2008, 21:41
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii77/c4all_storage/Burnt1200.jpg

mmmmmm crispy!

Kin Hell
12th November 2008, 21:43
Both do the same thing, but might perform different functions.

Mach210-12JC is a High-Density EE CMOS Programmable Logic Chip. Prolly the bridge device between CPU & FPU tbh!

Link (http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/000/MACH210-12JC.php)

As is Mach210-15JC

Link (http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/013/MACH210-15JC.php)

:wink:

Zetr0
12th November 2008, 22:32
@Imnogeek

f*ck m8.... thats not good.....

Looking at it, clearly something must of gotten onto / into the socket to cause that... perhaps a bit of the gold edging of the connector rubbed up as you were slotting it on...

arugably the mobo is repairable but it would certainly take some time, that sucker has burned into the substraight of the PCB... f*ck :shock:

the Apollo Card on the other hand...

It doesn't bode well my friend, I am sorry to say... the only redeeming point is that looking at the plastic melt / heat up, I would say thats where the short happened SO you might get lucky with the card as that ass nasty current didn't get to the chips..... just please.... make sure the connector is 100% clear and ok before plumbing it on another board m8...

I would double, nay tripple, check the pin alignment, then test continuity and if there is any shifting of the pins, then do the whole tests again in situ on another board.... if there is a problem with any of them m8.... then that card is likely toasted as well...

although if thats the case, i'd buy the 030 chip of you lol..

thats some f*cked up luck there my friend.

what ever happens m8, just PM me, I can try and help....

<---- :shock:

Zetr0
12th November 2008, 22:51
okay....

I have had a bit of a breather and a closer and closer look, and after the initial shock, and i admit it was a shock, now although i have not seen the reveres of the motherboard, I do believe the damage was caused by a serious grounding of pin 102.

I believe this grounding was caused by a flake of gold contact from pin 114, this could be something that JUST happens over time or perhaps a bit to much forcefull installation either which i doubt anyone could be 100% positive m8

so lets look at edge contact damage

#
96 -obilterated
98 -obilterated
100 -obilterated
102 -obilterated
104 -obilterated
106 -obilterated
108 -obilterated
110 -edge cut

114 - dangerious contact damage

so what signals have you burnt here?

96 /AVEC
98 /DSACK2
100 ECLOCK
102 /+5Volts
104 FC1
106 /RMC
108 NC (not connected)
110 NC (not connected)

114 /BOSS *

*the later although not lost will need some re-work to make it both stable and 100% functional.

with the damge to the above. NO card will work in the expansion port, no fast ram card or accelerator. with closer inspection to the Apollo 030 i would say that the short may of saved the card, but again closer inspection, testing and time will tell.

some seriously bad luck there m8, whats the underneath of the mother board like? and the accellerator?

rkauer
20th November 2008, 20:51
Just a hint for the Mach chips: they only perform memory controlling and accelerator interface with the A1200 motherboard.

The CPU and FPU are always connected together, pin to pin. No interface needed between 'em.