A1500 resto

lewism

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Highlands
I dug an old A1500 out of a fairly cold / damp environment today, case was in a bit of a mess and there has been some battery leakage. All I've done so far is give the case a clean and remove the battery. The motherboard will get a good scrub tomorrow and the affected area cleaned with lemon juice, photos of that will follow :)

The case has cleaned up reasonably well, but there's a bit of discolouration where there was a sticker on the top, and a little bit of rust around the rear edge of the case :(

Front/back of case before being cleaned:

picture.php

picture.php

Front/back of case after being cleaned:

picture.php

picture.php

Battery:

picture.php

Battery removed:

picture.php

ROM/CPU legs look a bit corroded, and the top of the chips and surrounding PCB are covered in black spots, not sure if this is to do with battery leakage, or something else? (Looks a bit like mould)

picture.php

Last edited:
It looks like you've been very fortunate in the battery leakage stakes, that doesn't look too bad at all. I'd still give it a once-over with lemon juice and then IPA just to be sure, but the chip legs all look to be of reasonable colour and integrity. Good luck with the restoration! There seem to be a lot of A2000s coming out of the woodwork at the moment!

yep wot andy said

suggest you carefully take the ks rom out of its socket, this will then give u a better idea of how bad the damage may be, compared to my A1500 it looks immaculate hehehehhe all the best

yep wot andy said

suggest you carefully take the ks rom out of its socket, this will then give u a better idea of how bad the damage may be, compared to my A1500 it looks immaculate hehehehhe all the best

I'd had the same thought myself but so far I'm having a bit of trouble, both the ROM and the CPU seem to be completely welded into their sockets. My plan had been to use a flat headed screwdriver to lift each a little on alternating sides until they were out completely, but I can't get them to budge. I'm worried if i try and use any more force it may come free suddenly and I'll break it. Is there a special tool for this?

yep wot andy said

I'd had the same thought myself but so far I'm having a bit of trouble, both the ROM and the CPU seem to be completely welded into their sockets. My plan had been to use a flat headed screwdriver to lift each a little on alternating sides until they were out completely, but I can't get them to budge. I'm worried if i try and use any more force it may come free suddenly and I'll break it. Is there a special tool for this?

That's what I've done over the years. Flat-bladed screwdriver under one end and rock it up-and-down gently until the chip starts to move, then a little bit more force until you start to pop the chip out. Obviously don't put too much force on 'em, but the Amiga chips are pretty tough beasts, they'll take a bit of force. Good luck!

That's what I've done over the years. Flat-bladed screwdriver under one end and rock it up-and-down gently until the chip starts to move, then a little bit more force until you start to pop the chip out. Obviously don't put too much force on 'em, but the Amiga chips are pretty tough beasts, they'll take a bit of force. Good luck!

Got them, just had to be a little brave and they eventually started to shift :)

picture.php

picture.php

Doesn't look like there's much damage at all, but the contacts on the sockets are very green (the camera phone pictures don't show it all that well). I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to replace the sockets?

That bottom socket (Kickstart?) looks like it really could do with being replaced. The top one isn't so bad, I imagine that one is probably still good to go.

I had all these shenanigans recently with an A3000. Replaced a couple of sockets and the old girl was good as new again!

Back
Top Bottom