amigaman2000

Amiga Forever
AmiBayer
Country
Spain
Region
Pontevedra
Hi all

I have a very strange problem installing OS 3.9 on my Amiga 4000 with Cyberstorm 060 on a SCSI hard disk.

I put my original copy of OS 3.9 on the CDROM and start the installation script, first of all I want to create an energency floppy to start from it and start the real installation, the program create a floppy and then restart the Amiga and boot from my new create floppy, but in few seconds a CLI window is open and an error message is printed, "SetPatch is not an executable" and the boot process from floppy is stopped, so I can't start the installation.

Anyone have the same issue?

Regards

I had similar problems, I didn't find out why though I followed Thomas' guide and done the install in WinUAE instead:

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39uae.html

Then I just transferred the files to my Amiga (y)

If you go with this option don't forget to add the 060 libs.

Steve.

Strange! Must only happen with certain revisions of the scsi controller as I have no such problems with my Cyberstorm Mk III.

Create emergency disk, boot off emergency disk, start os 3.9 install from cd. Done.

Sounds like the Setpatch file is corrupt so in actual fact it is a non bootable binary OR for some strange reason (because I'm sure the AmigaOS doesn't actually need it set in most circumstances) your kickstart revision requires the Setpatch command to have its e protection flag set...

Could be worth investigating both these scenarios?

e.g. boot off your usual OS and examine the emergency disk and also examine the CDRom just incase it has another unaffected Setpatch command elsewhere on the disk like the actual C: directory not the emergency directory and err yes, copy that over to the disk

food for thought ;-)

Why boot from the Emergency floppy?
I just start the installation from the CD within OS3.1... no need for the floppy at all.

Hmm... maybe it's needed if you boot from the CD?

I just start the installation from the CD within OS3.1... no need for the floppy at all.

Well, because I tried to install from Workbench 3.1, a new fresh version installed from floppies, and the OS 3.9 Installation works but when finished I reboot on OS 3.9 just to find that I can´t open any window, I can double click on any icon an a Workbench error appear "Try to initializate xxx Window", or something like that, and I can´t do nothing with that, so the installation is corrupted.

Sounds like the Setpatch file is corrupt so in actual fact it is a non bootable binary OR for some strange reason (because I'm sure the AmigaOS doesn't actually need it set in most circumstances) your kickstart revision requires the Setpatch command to have its e protection flag set...

Could be worth investigating both these scenarios?

e.g. boot off your usual OS and examine the emergency disk and also examine the CDRom just incase it has another unaffected Setpatch command elsewhere on the disk like the actual C: directory not the emergency directory and err yes, copy that over to the disk
I copy the SetPatch command found on the OS 3.9 CD over the floppy, start from floppy and a new error appear "Mount is not an executable", so I copy Mount from CD to floppy and restart again, now I get a workbench requester "Please Insert Volumen OS_3.9 in any drive", so the mount doesn´t mount the CD ROM and the I can´t access the OS 3.9 CD.

I had similar problems, I didn't find out why though I followed Thomas' guide and done the install in WinUAE instead:

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39uae.html
Well I never used WinUAE so this is a bit complicated for me.

I need your help guys, Can anyone send me an .adf copy of the OS 3.9 emergency floppy?

Regards

Hmm... maybe it's needed if you boot from the CD?

If you use this method you will end up with problems due to files having wrong protection bits, you probably can fix them all later but you'll have issues with screenmode prefs and such.

@Amigaman2000 I think the emergency disk is created spacifically for your setup so I don't think someone else's would help.

But I could be wrong there.

Lets hope the bump gets you some more replies :)

Yes, the CD is original

I have an idea, I will try to install it on my Amiga 4000 Tower through the internal SCSI chain instead CyberSCSI and see what happen.

I will try this at night.

Thanks for your help guys :D

Regards

Wel, I have just installed OS 3.9 without any trouble on my Amiga 4000 Tower so I have a hardware problem in my Amiga 4000 + Cyberstorm MK2 + SCSI Kit.

I have reflashed the card and now the SCSI isn´t working anymore, I reflash again with no luck so I think the card is broken :(

Regards and thanks for all your help

Well, I can't comment of the flash situation, seems a little bad luck has turned into a bigger bit of bad luck

It would appear that all the files on your emergency disk are missing there e executable flag so it could have been a simple case of cd to your disk directory and typing something like:

protect #? rwed all

or a slight syntax variation if I've recalled it incorrectly

what this does is set all files and files in sub directories with the read write delete and executable flag

I think I have a cyberstorm MK2 somewhere but I've never used it...

anyway you seem happy now? ;-)

@Slayer

The problem was a hardware issue, not software, the same OS 3.9 CDROM was installed perfectly in my Amiga 4000 Tower and refuses to work in my Amiga 4000, but now I have a broken Cyberstorm :-(

Regards

sorry, I'm just used to following everything to its logical conclusion regardless of how inprobable it probably is; only then can you truely rule out that potential path :)

Back
Top Bottom