General help getting games running...

WhyreByter

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Washington State
I'm having some general problems getting games to run on my a1200, and am hoping that you wise ones can help.

My system:
a1200
GVP 1230 (Jaws) w/16MB RAM
Indivision AGA
8GB CF in adapter
KS/WB 3.1

My issues:
- Trying to write various disk images to floppy and run them generally results in failure:
- Purple or red screens with garbage bits on them
- Black screen w/red letters, software error, typically 8000 0003
- Lock/hangs
Some games (esp. originals, such as F-18, 688 attack sub, Silent Service, etc.) work fine

- Trying to use WHDLoad (v16.9) is pretty much a mess. I can get a couple of games to work (688 attack sub), but most everything else dies, with these sorts of symptoms:
- Marble Madness - complains about missing kick34005.a500, tried dropping an a500 KS ROM image in the path referenced, but now gives an error during "resload_loadkick", saying the rom is invalid
- Dragons Lair - same as Marble Madness
- Lemmings 2 - Detects and uses expansion ram, then just locks up with a black screen
- Unreal/Spy vs. Spy - Pulsing Power LED, Software Failure, 8000 000E before the WHDLoad screen even comes up (SvsS used to work, but doesn't now).
and so on.

This is my first Amiga (I had a 500 back when it was new for ~ 2 weeks, but that's about it), so I'm still learning the ropes, so apologies if it's something simple.

Help, please? Thanks!!! :)

Last edited:
@WhyreByter

I am unsure, but the problem with your disk drive could well be the media you are writing too... that and possibly the physical Drive itself might be on the way out.

In the case of WHDLoad you are missing kickstart roms that exist in the
Code:
SYS:DEVS/Kickstart/
directory

Unfortunately these kickroms are copyright as such you cannot ask for binary downloads here on AmiBay, I would suggest that you hunt these on the interwebs as I am sure with a good search you will find what you seek =)

good luck on your quest.

Thanks for the responses...

re: drive/media - The drive seems to read OK; it dumped my brandy-new WB disks and gave proper CRCs. But, I'm trying to use HD disks, rather than DD. That may be a bit of a problem, yes? Doing a bing search doesn't reveal any conclusive data one way or the other...

re: legal KS/WB copies - As much as I don't want to, I'll probably pull the trigger on AmigaForever, even though I use the newer WinUAE train as my actual emulator. Basically, I'll just be buying a license for the ROMs/WB images, and ignoring the rest of it. (<shrug> it's cheaper than buying a physical machine or ROMs for every config I want :))

Thanks!
WhyreByter

Back
Top Bottom