What problems do a3ks get with age?

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Battery leakage is the obvious one, but does this do as much damage as sayo n an a4k?

Also, do a3ks have caps failures like a4ks/a1200s/a600s and cd32s?

Corrosion is the worst problem. (DIP sockets and Fat Agnus near battery leak, all PPGA and ZIP sockets, and CPU connector)
CPU connector gets loose due to heat.

Caps are not SMD. It takes much longer for them to start leaking. So far I have not seen any A3000 that's badly damaged form caps leak. They should be however replaced asap.

OKiez, thanks Elerion - next question. I have a VGC A3000 (25 mhz) but it is Revision 6.3 (one of the very first). It has had all caps replaced, ram is 2mb chip and 16 mb fast on the mb, it has the original hump mouse 1.6mb floppy etc etc.

But I cannot get an A3640 to work in it. the 3640 is a rev 3.1 with correct gal etc. All caps replaced (and the 3 backwards ones righted). The a3640 works perfectly in an a4k.

I have set all mb jumperson the a3k correctly (ext clock etc etc etc). But I get a black screen.

Is this just the curse of the early a3ks?

V36 kick rom and DMAC-01 will not work with 68040, and even DMAC-02 could cause problems.
You have to replace them with newer version. Also, putting a newest Ramsay would be a good idea. (New dmac may not work with old ramsay.)

V36 kick rom and DMAC-01 will not work with 68040, and even DMAC-02 could cause problems.
You have to replace them with newer version. Also, putting a newest Ramsay would be a good idea. (New dmac may not work with old ramsay.)

I keep seeing conflicting information about that. The general consensus seems to be that DMAC-04/RAMSEY-07 will give you the best chances, but DMAC-02/RAMSEY-04 should probably work, particularly if you use Kickstart 3.1 and Fast Page RAM for the FastRAM. Even if your DMAC/RAMSEY combo doesn't work, the Amiga should still boot, just the onboard SCSI won't work. Also, your DMAC and RAMSEY need to be 'matched', so if you upgrade one, you have to do the other too. DMAC-01/02 pair with RAMSEY-04, DMAC-04 pairs with RAMSEY-07 (Or so I'm led to believe)

If you don't want to shell out $obscene for a DMAC-04, you could keep buying -02s until you find one that's within-tolerance for the '040. I have all this to look forward to once I get my hands on an A3640... Joy!

Thats what I read!!!

But its not true.

I have fast page ram installed (all 16 mb) and am running ks 3.1 roms (actual roms, not rom image).

The machine has DMac-02 and Ramsey-04.

All literature online says it SHOULD work, and if it doesnt then the worst that can happen is that the a3k scsi will not work (without a mod).

It does NOT work. At all. Blank screen and the power led stays dull.

Thats what I read!!!

But its not true.

I have fast page ram installed (all 16 mb) and am running ks 3.1 roms (actual roms, not rom image).

The machine has DMac-02 and Ramsey-04.

All literature online says it SHOULD work, and if it doesnt then the worst that can happen is that the a3k scsi will not work (without a mod).

It does NOT work. At all. Blank screen and the power led stays dull.

Yeah. This is the thing, you read so much crap online but your own empirical evidence disproves it. By all accounts, your A3000 should work. I assume the A3640 has been tested in another Amiga? I assume the A3000 works fine and dandy without a CPU card. I assume you've set the motherboard jumpers to EXTCLK when installing the A3640.

Couple of questions on that: What revision of A3640 do you have (What's the U209 GAL revision?) and does the A3000 work with any other accelerator? (It'd be just typical for the whole thing to come down to a dry solder joint on the CPU Fastslot.)

I have TWO a3640s. Both rev 3.1. Both with correct gal etc. Both have been fully refurbed (new caps etc) both work perfectly in my two a4ks.

So its definately not the a3640s.

The a3k has a new atx psu, all voltages with 5% of required levels. A3k performs flawlessly.... except when you attempt to run an a3640 in it. :)

I dont have any other cpu cards to try in the a3k atm (except a Cyberstorm Mk III that Im not sure if Im keeping - but its at amigamaniac getting fixed.

Its been a while since I looked up the gals, which ones do I need to look at?

I have TWO a3640s. Both rev 3.1. Both with correct gal etc. Both have been fully refurbed (new caps etc) both work perfectly in my two a4ks.

So its definately not the a3640s.

The a3k has a new atx psu, all voltages with 5% of required levels. A3k performs flawlessly.... except when you attempt to run an a3640 in it. :)

Yeah, so just to humour me, have you tried any other CPU cards in it? It's not impossible that the CPU fastslot is at fault here. Of course, you could well be right and your A3000 just hates A3640s, who knows, they're tempramental beasts!

Will have to try the Cyberstorm when it gets back.... although Im trying to get hold of a well priced 040 for one of my a4ks.... if anyone has one to sell.... :)

I'ts possible that you are just unlucky and your motherboard has some timing issues due to some component that Commodore used at the time.

I would:

Check again are following jumpers set for 25Mhz rom and cpu timing:
J151: 1-2
J152: 1-2
J851: 2-3

Try to underclock A3640 to 20Mhz to see if timing or 68040 itself is the problem. (don't know if this method works, but it just occured to me as something you could try...)

I heared it will not work with SUPER KICKSTART A3000 .If you have a oler rev, it may be the problem. You have to use real Rom instead of Super kick WOM.

gehtjanx

I heared it will not work with SUPER KICKSTART A3000 .If you have a oler rev, it may be the problem. You have to use real Rom instead of Super kick WOM.

gehtjanx

This is definitely true. The Superkick ROMs rely on the '030 MMU to map the softkick image to the right place. The '040 MMU is subtly different and so is incompatible with 1.4 ROMs. But abraXXious is definitely using hardware 3.1 ROMs, so that's not the issue in this case. :)

Yessum.... I am running kickstart 3.1 ROMS (as in rom chips - nothing being kicked to ram) - so that rules that out. :( I WISH I were running KS 1.4 - then there would at least be a reason for it not to boot with the a3640 installed.

Oh well.

The A3k is a ***** when trying to use A3640, only the 3.2 version will work OK.

Back
Top Bottom