fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Before you go on, if you haven’t already you probably want to read part 1 of this epic tale before moving on!

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=12846

Fitzsteve's Amiga Journey - Part 2

Finally having my dream A1200 setup I turned my attention to its little brother the A600, what I wanted to achieve was a replacement for my A500 with a smaller footprint but with the added bonus of an internal CF-HD solution.

After much searching for the right one I found my very first A600:

IMG_7124.jpg

I was very pleased being a nice clean example, plus it came with an extra 1mb of Chip ram so this was ideal for my intentions.

I picked up a 1.3-3.1 Rom Switcher kit from evil bay which I installed so that I could roll back to 1.3rom to play my old floppy collection and also have 3.1rom for my Workbench.

IMG_7122.jpg

I also picked up a 2mb PCMCIA SRAM card for it and with the extra Ram it was ideal for my newly setup Classic Workbench 68k. As you can see I was a little new to setting up these Workbench’s but I don’t think I did a bad job, nice and simple:

IMG_7184.jpg

So you would think I would be satisfied with this?

Well erm, no… It wasn’t long before I wanted to accelerate my A600, but it was real tough to find an accelerator for it. And as you can imagine at this time before the new ACA630’s they were not the cheapest of upgrades.

However I’d set my sites on having an Apollo 620 or 630 so after a couple of months of searching all the Amiga sites and the bays imaginable I finally bagged myself an Apollo 630!

IMG_9714.jpg

My first impression was how small the card was, I was expecting bigger, but you soon realise you wont fit much bigger in the A600 and even this was tricky to get in the case with all the other components.

Luckily I was able to get one of Mika’s awesome angled CF-IDE adapters so this made installing much easier.

IMG_9713.jpg

IMG_7259.jpg

I was really impressed to see Classic Workbench ADV running on an A600 and it ran very well indeed, a little slow with 16colours but nice and quick if I dropped to 8colour:

IMG_7258.jpg

So finally I had my dream A600 setup!

IMG_7938.jpg

Click here for Part 3

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Another great project, m8. (y)

One thing about your WB customizations....

These are your works? Wich soft you use?

Every WB in your machines looks :woot::bounceBoingBall::inlove::bounceBoingBall::woot:

Best wishes

Hi Steve,

Every WB in your machines looks :woot::bounceBoingBall::inlove::bounceBoingBall::woot:

Best wishes

Thanks Mate!

Although this project has seen many changes since, and will soon see an ACA630 and of course the Indi ECS!

I use for all my projects different versions of Classic Workbench, I spend so much time on the hardware side its much easier for me to go with the pre installed packs and customize them.

I guess at some point I should do my own though ;)

Steve.

Great stuff Steve, I would love a super clean A600 like yours, I was drooling over it at R3play alot. I love the small footprint. Me and my son have been having some great fun with his A600 (which is not really in amazing shape, but was cheap) with it being all vanilla and able to play games easliy, Zool and Lemmings are his fave and he loves D Paint :) He's looking forward to accelerating it with an ACA630 so he can use the extra memory and speed for "Super cool animations" in D Paint, bless him :)

http://www.sasg.com/mui/

Hi Steve,

Best wishes

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Hi Steve,

I'll have indivision ecs, aca 630 and usb soon! Let's give them something to talk about :D

greetz

Great stuff Steve, I would love a super clean A600 like yours, I was drooling over it at R3play alot. I love the small footprint. Me and my son have been having some great fun with his A600 (which is not really in amazing shape, but was cheap) with it being all vanilla and able to play games easliy, Zool and Lemmings are his fave and he loves D Paint :) He's looking forward to accelerating it with an ACA630 so he can use the extra memory and speed for "Super cool animations" in D Paint, bless him :)

Cheers mate!

I think its awesome your lad's into the Amiga's too and wants an ACA630, thats pretty hardcore lol!

Next you'll be buying him a Subway USB :whistle:

Awesome stuff!

And now I've read through Pt2 :) Looking forward to Pt 3 (y)

oh no its endded :( surly not theres the new aca030 for the a600 :)
I`m sure this is not the end

though like i said still looking foward to the towers come pci hurdles you had last year, really was a good read and glad you have transrvsed that learning curve

oh no its endded :( surly not theres the new aca030 for the a600 :)
I`m sure this is not the end

though like i said still looking foward to the towers come pci hurdles you had last year, really was a good read and glad you have transrvsed that learning curve

He he, I didn't mean the end! I mean you know how the Tower project turns out ;)

Will write up part three this week, maybe today if we have a slow one in the office (y)

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom