Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
This is a long shot, but you never know.... I am looking for one of the Markus Brenner C64S adapters, that allow you to connect a C64 Datasette to the parallel port of a PC. I would like to put some of the old games I used to play back onto a tape and play them on one of my C64s.

The link from Markus' site to the 'buy one' page doen't work any more and I suspect that he gave up. I've e-mailed him about the board layout pictures, but I'm not holding my breath.

Does anyone out there have one spare, or knows of a link to the circuit board layout pictures, so that I can print and etch a circuit board to make myself one?

Here's a picture of the unit, along with the schematic.
[attachment=2:23ryewbf]adapter4.jpg[/attachment:23ryewbf]
[attachment=1:23ryewbf]Adapter5.jpg[/attachment:23ryewbf]
[attachment=0:23ryewbf]lpt64.jpg[/attachment:23ryewbf]

Attachments

• adapter4.jpg
    adapter4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Adapter5.jpg
    Adapter5.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • lpt64.jpg
    lpt64.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
Re: Wanted: C64S PC to Datasette adapter

OMG Merlin! :shock:
If you go any further back than this stuff, its all clockwork eh! :LOL:

@Merlin: that schematic you gave above is pretty straightforward to me, the adaptor is that simple?

Taking my chances for hijacking the board owner's thread: where can I find schematics for the C64 floppy controller/unit?

I got a reply from Markus Brenner about this. He has contacted the other person who ran the site and made the adapters and has asked for the layout; he isn't hopeful, although we may get lucky. Apparently the last of the production run of these was given away :!: in July 2008, so I missed the boat.... :(

I can't work out what the jumpers are for on the circuit board, hence this is why I requested the layout, as the schematic makes no reference to them.

I'll see if I can lay hands on some PCB layout software and put one together based on the schematic; I can use a broken C64 board I have here for measuring the tracks and spacing for the Datasette connector. I recently bought a digital micrometer and have been looking for a reson to use it :)

@Merlin.

The row of headers could just be for using a IDC type cable instead of the D socket, ie direct connection to MoBo Printer Header.

The other 2 pin "Jumper" is actually where you will need to supply +5V to power the C64 Datasette.

Looks like another Basic interface solution where the software does all the actual hard work.
Do we have a copy of the software, If you have then check if it is NT/XP compliant as when NT took over the PC World the way Parallel & Serial ports were accessible changed big time due to not being able to hit the hardware directly...

Let me know If I can help, My Datasette died years ago so I wouldn't mind one of these interfaces, Oh & a new SID chip as my C64 remains mute... got to start a thread some time :LOL:

TC 8)

Is this any help http://c64.kset.org/64tools.shtml (tapeio.zip)
contains tapeio.exe plus docs

TAPE CONNECTOR LPT PINS
Upper
???????????
?????___________GND (pin 18..25)
?????___________+5V
????? ?
????? ?
?????___________Motor ON (+5V)
?????___________Data (pin 10)
?????___________Write (pin 3)
?????___________Sense (pin 12)
???????????

+5V can't be get from the LPT port, it is the easiest to get from
the game port (+5V directly from the motherboard).

LPT64 connector (by Miha Peternel & Uros Platise)

The LPT64 connector allows connection of CBM IEEE devices (disk drives,
printers) and C64 compatible tape drives to PC's LPT port.

LPT64 connector is compatible with X1541 type of connector. It does
not require a full featured LPT port, a simple printer port will do.

C64S software allows C64 to PC data transfers as well as real-time
communication of emulated C64 programs with external CBM IEEE devices.

The connector schematics can be found in LPT64.BMP Windows bitmap file.
Text files LPT1541.DOC and LPTTAPE.DOC describe connector specs separately.

The following notes go to the LPT64.BMP schematics:
- The LPT connector part (top) needed is MALE. The schematics shows
pin layout as seen from the connecting side of male connector. When
you solder wires from the rear side of the male connector, you need
to make a MIRROR IMAGE to connect the right pins.
- The CBM IEEE connector part (bottom left) is also MALE. However
the layout drawn is as seen from the rear (non-connecting) side of the
male connector. When you solder, do it exactly as it is drawn, do not
mirror.
- The TAPE connector part (bottom right) is a part of printed board,
dimensions 1 inch (width) times 2 cm (may be longer). The metal
stripes are 2 mm wide, with 2 mm of non-metalized board inbetween.
The hole is cut between the 2nd and 3rd metal stripe, with dimensions
1 mm (width) times 0.5 inch (length).
- +5V source may be a normal 4.5 battery. Another way of getting +5V
is from the PC joystick connector.
- The lead between LPT part and IEEE part is recommended to be shorter
that 2 m. Longer lead (I use 0.7 m with no problems) may be a cause
of communication difficulties. I suggest less than 1 m just to be sure.
- The lead between LPT part and TAPE part should be even shorter,
less that 0.5 m. Again longer lead may cause load errors. I use 0.1 m
with no problems. I suggest not more than 0.25 m as the tape drive is
also equipped with it's roundabout 0.5 m tail.

I have had a flash of inspiration about this. How about re-designing the board so that it draw +5v via a USB cable? The new circuit board design could have a USB 'B' socket so that a standard USB cable could be used.

I've got hold of a copy of Eagle but haven't quite sussed out drawing tracks that cross but don't touch on the schematic; I need to RTFM really, unless Zetr0, rkauer or Ultrareliable can give me a few pointers on using Eagle 5.0. I'll get the measurements of the Datasette port tracks and cut for the alignment slot tomorrow.

I reckon once it's designed, we can see what the interest is (two here already on AmiBay!) and maybe get a short production run made.

@Merlin

I though about using the 5volts from usb but there is one problem
The average onboard usb can only supply 0.5Amps or 500mA and I would guess that the Datasette for the old commodores requires about 1Amp maybe even more so that would damage the usb port on the motherboard.
There should be a pc blanking plate made with a standard hd power connector just for such apps maybe I will make one just for experiments sake

I've been speaking to TheCorfiot about this, and we reckon the best way forward is to add a Molex socket to the back of the PC and use a standard hard drive power connector as you suggest.

I would like to put some of the old games I used to play back onto a tape and play them on one of my C64s.

A little off topic but have you ever tried this method?

Converting .TAP files to .WAV and then .MP3 with available software. Loading them onto your favourite MP3 player and then using one of these in the datasette.

I tried it a couple of years ago with a CPC464 and found it to work quite well as long as your MP3s were of decent quality. Never tried it on the c64 due to my preference for disk drives. ;)

Of course there is nothing stopping you from just recording the wav files directly to a tape hooked up to your PCs audio output.
http://plus4world.powweb.com/tools/TAP2WAV

*ahem

personall CD Player....

*ahem

..... i wasn't here right?..... no one saw me.... k?

Merlin,

Have you had any further thoughts on knocking a prototype up?

I would certainly purchase one for my VIC.

Also, what software would one use to enable recording? Would emulation take care of this side of things?

C90 tapes at the ready!!

Many thanks
Magno

I built one of these not long ago, my intent was to make a few extra after testing it out. I got all software and such sorted out, but my datasette was bad, I need to test it with a datasette that I know is working. It has got built in rectifier and 5V voltage regulator so I can use any power supply (DC or AC) that supplies 9-24V. The computer's parallel port need to support SPP. Here's a picture, I can give instructions for the software if needed.

Attachments

• datasette_adapter.jpg
    datasette_adapter.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom