PDA

View Full Version : Closed 2MB Chip RAM for A500 and PC mouse adapter for Amiga

czarek
30th January 2011, 13:13
Like in a title - I'm after Chip RAM expansion for A500. Not that I need more Chip memory, I need faster access to it and I think by providing better Agnus and probably better memory chips it will be a bit faster.
Second thing I need is a PC mouse adapter for Amiga, be it PS/2 or USB - anything that will allow me to connect PC trackball as Amiga trackballs are rare and a bit crap and I have few spare Kensington balls I could use with miggy (older expert and almost new orbit, with my primary workstation I'm using new Expert with scroll wheel).

johnim
30th January 2011, 13:35
see mkls adapter there great http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=7158&page=5

bebek
30th January 2011, 14:28
Like in a title - I'm after Chip RAM expansion for A500. Not that I need more Chip memory, I need faster access to it and I think by providing better Agnus and probably better memory chips it will be a bit faster.

I do not think it will make any difference in speed ...

rkauer
30th January 2011, 17:46
More chip RAM will not speed the A500, but will give it the most necessary RAM to play music & better video modes (more colours on Workbench, higher resolutions, etc).

If you want speed gains, then you must grab real FAST RAM (ones that not slides in the trapdoor). The Tom Thull's IDE+RAM is a perfect example, other is a Supra RAM RX. The computer will run around 33% faster.

czarek
30th January 2011, 22:30
@rkauer - it's for this monster here:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?p=131897
I don't really need any more and any faster Fast RAM and better video modes than my CV64/3D can offer. But I have issues playing some WHDLoad games which I and some other guys think may be caused by slow access to Chip RAM - I measured it in few benchmarks and it's indeed slower than A3000 or even A2000. If this faster Agnus chip (8372B/8375 like in A3000 and most Chip RAM expansions) could lift it at least to level of A2000 or maybe even A3000 I think it's worth trying. Apart from that I don't need Chip RAM at all - I play modules in EaglePlayer from Fast RAM using 14 bit Paula replayers and for graphics I use RTG entirely.

rkauer
31st January 2011, 00:36
In your case (pun intended), the extra 1Mb will easy things a lot, but remember the 060 is not that compatible with most OCS/ECS games.

A humble 030 will give better compatibility with games than your impressive 060.

czarek
31st January 2011, 08:56
It's just as incompatible as 030 - had same issues with GVP 530 before I towerized my A500 - some games like MK2 or stuff that uses blitter / copper a lot are just very slow on any turbo I ever used in my A500 or A2000, I never tried expanded Chip RAM and newer Agnus though.