SaGaiA

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
I'm on the hunt for a small form factor PCI soundcard for a project I'm working on.
It needs to be SFF as the case I have is for SFF cards *DOH* (hmm forward planning was not a high point, looks came first)

It needs to have, and this is the importand bit, NEEDS to have a Coaxial Dolby Digital Output on it.

I've seen loads of cards with optical outputs and 5.1 output over 3x3.5mm jacks but I need the coaxial 5.1 output as my Amp only has Coax inputs :(

Brand is not overly important so long as Windows XP / Vista / Ubuntu Drivers are readily available.

I'm looking elsewhere also as I'm in dire need for this as I'm at that point where it's the only thing I'm missing.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

SaGz

Re: WTB: Small Form Factor PCI Sound Card with Coax DD5.1 output

@SaGiaA

my friend, if you want I can build you a stereo 3.5mm jack to dual Coax phono's if thats any help m8. I think I have most of the bits here should be able to build it and send it for a couple of quids m8y :)

any help to you?

@Zetro

Cheers for the offer. It's not quite what I'm after. I need it to actually provide Digital 5.1 sound so I need a card which has a Dolby Digital 5.1 encoder on it.

My day to day PC has both a Coax Digital (SPDIF type connection) and split 5.1 (6 channel over 3x3.5mm jacks) but this is on-board so I cant use it :(

I've found one (yes only 1) new from a local store but I was hoping to drop on a used one as people seem to be building gaming machines with 7.1 sound so 5.1 simply would not do :LOL:

Thanks again Zetro

Wotcha mate :D

Did you get sorted in the end?

I'd recommend two things: either using an Edirol (M-Audio) Transit USB which gives spdif output, or any soundcard that gives spdif output, and an spdif to coax converter.

Maplin have the converters (L74BA) for 15 quid, but you can get them for a fiver or so...

Hope this helps, and hope you're still snapping away :D

@chiark

Now then,

Cheers for the heads up on the M-Audio Transit USB. If drivers are available for Ubunbu then that might be an option.

That adapter from Mapin makes more sense though and for the price, is a real result!

I can get a 5.1 output card locally for a few quid and one of these will do the job nicely. I'm guessing these will also do a nice job on the XBox :?: Can see why not. Hmmm Ideas falling from the sky :LOL:

Thanks for the insight, this will really help.

fyi: got an SB800 t'other day since Nikon were kind enough to announce they have canned it for the SB900. Well happy, just need better weather. Cold + Me = Wimp :wink:

Just in case you haven't already got one, CPC have the very same converters for 3.95!

cpc.farnell.com/........

@ chiark

Sorry m8! - Had to remove the off site link. I guess CPC are ok to endorse about being a suitable trader, but it's the .PDF thing.......

Best Wishes,

Kin

Oh balls, my apologies once again!
I'm getting consistent at doing this. Must get my "amibay rules" head on :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom