PDA

View Full Version : Closed Prometheus [express please!]

Slayer
5th February 2011, 09:14
Greetings

I need another one of these boards, I need one because I was that excited the other day to plug it in and get it all going and I couldn't find the proper power cord so I improvised but not realising that the two middle wires weren't supposed to be there and I think I fried my board! :(

The Altera chip beside the power plug got so hot it burnt my fingers :Doh: And if I turn the card over there are some brown marks across the 3 little tracks on either side of where the chip is...

I do have some hope that the other chip is OK? and perhaps two of the PCI slots MIGHT work once I find if I find the right power cord for it...

I know AmigaKit still sell them but it's a tad expensive...

I kind of need it because I need to test a variety of graphic cards... :thumbsup:

anyone? cheers!

I do hope I haven't fried any of the cards while I was at it...

abraXXious
5th February 2011, 09:18
Bugger. :( This sounds like something I would do - Im always impatient to see some results... and often rush in where angels fear to tread.

Cant help you with the board, but if you want someone to fix it then I can only suggest you send it to Nathan at AmigaManiac. Your usual Amiga techy in NZ is in Antarctica I believe.

Slayer
5th February 2011, 09:36
That is SOoooo true :nod:

ANTHONY you SELFISH B------D! :lol:

Where the hell ARE YOU when I need you!?!?!? :p

That was just a joke btw, nice one AbraXXious I got to let it ALL out! ;)

Justin
5th February 2011, 09:46
middle 2 wires shouldn't be there?

here's a pic of my Prometheus connector, it seems to be fully connected

abraXXious
5th February 2011, 09:50
Looks like the Prometheus uses a P19 connector (from the AT days) which has two earth wires in the middle. My guess is that me'mate Slayer has plugged in a P18 (again from the AT standard) connector, which is identical.... except has 12 volts on the middle wires.

Hence, Amiga style barbecue. :)

Slayer
5th February 2011, 09:53
Slayer reports JuvUK for teasing him :cool:

abraXXious
5th February 2011, 09:54
Noperz, upon zooming in I see it is not a P18 or P19 connector. It looks like a standard floppy power connector....

....so exactly WHAT did you hook up to it Slayer?!

Justin
5th February 2011, 09:56
OIC. sorry dude, that some major suckage right there:(

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Noperz, upon zooming in I see it is not a P18 or P19 connector. It looks like a standard floppy power connector....

....so exactly WHAT did you hook up to it Slayer?!

it's twice the size of a floppy connector m8y

abraXXious
5th February 2011, 09:58
Weird. Is it some custom connector? Its not a P18/19, not a floppy connector, not a molex...

Kin Hell
5th February 2011, 16:25
Looks like a Stock Molex connector to me. :thumbsup:

@ Slayer

If you just gave it the Red & the Yellow, you're not getting any power to the card.

Yellow + Black next to it = 12v
Red + Black next to it = 5v

Either way, a stock Molex power connector from your PSU should be fine. You might need to acquire one of these.

http://static.scan.co.uk/Images/Products/1837-a.jpg

You can also get long series ones if you shop around a bit. ;)

Kin

Justin
5th February 2011, 16:42

@ Slayer

If you just gave it the Red & the Yellow, you're not getting any power to the card.

Either way, a stock Molex power connector from your PSU should be fine. You might need to acquire one of these.

Kin

the wiring is the same as a molex, but the actual connector is different

mjnurney
5th February 2011, 17:22
its not a molex but a more of a square shape, i can t say ive seen one before.

it is similar to the old AT power fitting but not quite...

Slayer
6th February 2011, 01:49

@ Slayer

Kin

Yes but the trouble is I gave it ALL 4 wires it wasn't until later I realised I probably hit it with too much Juice (and after viewing a few pictures, not that good really, I noticed one design had the two wires in the middle missing so I tried removing the two black ones in my next few attempts, but even without the cards in the slots the computer refused to boot up). I will try with the red and black and see if I still have a few Amiga miracles up my sleeve. I want to try the voodoo you sent me!. The male end is different from the standard plug you are referring too... it is square and has a rigid angle lip on it to prevent you from putting it around the wrong way. Same principle as the power supply connector on the A4000 motherboard.

Thanks all for your feedback back but I would still like to get another Prometheus (still hopeful the other might be okay or 2 slots anyway otherwise it is a replacement and back to square one), I have more than 1 A4000 you know :thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Well, I've done some investigating. It will boot with the 5volts which is great but it doesn't show in Ranger or the early boot menu...

I'll just have to accept that it is fried... I'm seriously ****ed because usually the power cord does reside with the board, just this once its seperated and look what happens... and of course I spent a good 2 hours turning out all my cpu boxes and looking behind desks and all kinds of shifting! Then, I got a bright idea to modify a similair cable... the only thing I didn't do is research the real cable first... THEN I might have avoided this and also actually managed to juryrig the replacement... but hey, now I know, about this voltage thing LOL

God Darn It!

Is there a small chance I got the tracks/tracings on the rear of the card fixed that it would go? The thing is, to get this repaired I could probably just buy a new one?

Grrr I'm somewhat annoyed!

Kin Hell
6th February 2011, 07:22
@ JuvUK

Thanks for the correction m8y. Do you have a larger pic of the real thing please? :)

@ Slayer

You could always Mail it to Anthony Hoffman for a look-see. He might be able to pinpoint the problem for you. :thumbsup:

Kin

*edit* - Best forget it a while.... Anthony might be away on an Arctic/Antarctic expedition or something for some months yet.....

Slayer
6th February 2011, 07:28
Yes, I know all about Anthonys trip, I actually got 3 of my A3640s upgraded to 3.2 the week before he left... and it was his idea... good man and he's just up the road I could literally drive there in 3 hours :-)

Kin Hell
6th February 2011, 07:33
You're a lucky man to live so close to such a star. I've had success with the guy every time & yes, ....he's a grand chap. :)

Kin

Slayer
9th February 2011, 10:14
Well we can close this, I just placed an order for a new one from Amigakit

I was curious though (its been awhile since I've brought something from an offshore shop) didn't we used to get things VAT free? What's happened there? Does it automatically detect where from OS and deduct it or do they charge us VAT anyway and we get stung with Customs Tax at our end too?

Once this Query is answered perhaps close the thread ;-)

Kin Hell
9th February 2011, 16:09
I guess you need to talk with your own Customs & Excise dept. I'm sure they'll be able to advise you best.

Anything much over 5.00 into the UK can have Import Duty @ 10% + 8.00 re-postage fee + V.A.T @ 20%. I think there is a limit of 15.00 value for things deemed a Gift. So if you want to send a loved one or family member anything back into the UK, you get royally screwed.... :nuts:

Kin