Gaming issues with an 060

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Hello all ,

I'm having a few issues with my new ( to me) apollo 060, whd and workbench seem happy but doom has issues

okay , so Apollo 060 files copied to libs ...it won't boot, the Apollo installer seems to think there is no hard drive

So ok, installed mmulibs and all is okay , setpatch all good.

Now then ....adoom crashes at launch - blocky coloured screen
doomattack works but very slow , even on low res pal. prefs doesn't work properly and I can't edit the set up, it locks up.

gloom doesn't work with Apollo libs but seems to work with mmulibs, although there are graphic glitches.

The thing is all this worked fine with an Apollo 040 !

So an libs issue?

Ps all works on a4000 (but slowly)

A1200
3.1 rom / 3.1 wb
Apollo 060 32 mb ram
a500 power pack - known to be good on 040

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Sounds definitely like a LIBS prob mate ... Have you also got the CPU60 command in the startup-sequence?

Hi mjnurney,

The MMULib setup is definitely the way to go with the Apollo 1260.

Couple things, since I notice you're running 3.1.

IIRC, there is no "dummy" 68040 library included with the MMULib package, only the "real" one for '040 boards.

Two solutions here to getting the correct library loaded. One, go ahead and use the "dummy" (small file size) library from the Apollo or Phase5 libs, and the 68060 library from the MMULib archive.

Two (the better way), make sure you have 680x0.library in your LIBS: directory, and patch setpatch as per the MMULib docs. This modifies setpatch to load the 680x0.library, which then loads the correct library based on on your processor.

Later versions of setpatch (somewhere around OS3.9) load the correct library by default, so no patching or "dummy" libs are needed.

Also, you'll definitely want the "mmu-configuration" file in your ENVARC: (can also be DEVS) drawer. This modifies a few things which will speed up the system a bit. If you like, I can send you the modified mmu-configuration file from my setup, which is tweaked a bit and shortened to speed up booting.

There's more (you'll want to make sure mufastrom and mufastzero are both installed, possibly mumove4k as well). I'll have a look through my A1200 setup later this eve and follow up with anything major I've left out. (y)

Just out of curiosity, does that game (adoom) require strictly AGA, or does it also support RTG? Thanks :)

ADoom also works with RTG but its not playable above 320*240 even on PPC! But it runs and looks better :)
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/31.0.017; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

The only major thing I think I failed to mention, was to run Scout or SysInfo after you get the basics sorted, and see where exec.library ends up. If it's in chipram, you'll need mumove4k at the top of your startup-sequence, along with the FastExec switch of MuFastZero. (Not strictly necessary, but will speed things up a bit.) Good luck.

Ok thanks - I think lol , I will try that but so far I'm having no look the best I get is adoom running so slooooow or doomattack crashing at start up. Workbench show 060 at the top but info shows 040 !
I cannot run the installer on the Apollo disk , no hard drive error it says but if I copy the libs over 040, 060 and others it boot and wb is ok , doom is the same.

I suspect that the 040 lib is causing problems...

I'll have a play tonight and report back....

Thanks guys

@mjnurney

Sysinfo and ShowConfig will show 040 this is normal as they cannot identify an 060, use sysspeed tools instead this will give you correct benchmarking.

I still guess you have some other libs problems though that might account for the crashing.

I'm sure you'll get it all running (y)

@steve
yeah I kind of thought show config would get it wrong. I'd just like a set of libs to work , then play about with the setup to speed it up if possible later!

I would of thought by now there would be a prog to install the correct libs but I guess not
lol

Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

@damion

thanks for the info I kind of knew the Apollo 040 was not a real lib as I read it on the Apollo readme but I instantly forgot and copied them all over

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Pahhhhh never had any if this when my mighty a500 was the daddy lol !

Anyway back in the olden days I never played with the start up or libs , so this is kind of new to me guys, forgive my lack of knowledge and remember - all instructions should be aimed at the intellect level of a village idiot :)

thank you

okay tonights fun.....

copied the 040 libs from the Apollo disk to the mmulibs in libs - no difference

moving on to part 2..

Keep in mind:

There are two 68040.library files on the Apollo install disk, you want the small filesize one. Try that with just the Apollo '060 lib, your games should work OK.

yes, thanks tried the 040 lib 392 bytes

no go...games either slow or lock up / crash

the files on the 68060 folder on the Apollo disk are

68040 392k
CPU060 3,304k
68040 43,888k
68060 64,244k

i'll experiment some more.....

yes, thanks tried the 040 lib 392 bytes

no go...games either slow or lock up / crash

the files on the 68060 folder on the Apollo disk are

68040 392k
CPU060 3,304k
68040 43,888k
68060 64,244k

i'll experiment some more.....

If you don't have the original Apollo Install disk, you will never be 100% stable & no surprise on a 3D shooter killing your rig. ;)

The Apollo cards are very very very sensitive about the Libs they use. These cards are faster than the Blizzards & 50Mhz but Over-Clocking them too far can have an adverse effect on the cards overall performance.

If you don't have the Original Apollo 060 Install Disk, you can download it here: http://www.l8r.net/install/accel/apollo060.DMS

If this still doesn't work for you, then something else is shafting you & snoopdos to a .txt file is your answer. :)

Kin

@kin

those files are from the original apollo disk, but i cannot use the installer as it says no hard drive found! (cf)

its a clean install of classic workbench and mmulibs - thats it.

michael.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

what about cache ? cpu060 ...

ie done a full install of mmulibs , copied 68040 dummy lib & 68060 apollo lib over ...still slooooow or things not running right

I agree to stick with the Apollo libraries for now. (However, the card will also run perfectly fine with the MMULib library, including Doom/Quake/etc.)

Just checked my old Apollo install disk, there are three files:

68040.library (dummy lib loader, loads 68o4o or 68060 lib)
68o4o.library
68060.library

Delete all other cpu libraries, and copy all three of these to LIBS. That should eliminate the libraries as an issue.

what about cache ? cpu060 ...

You shouldn't need that, but to be sure you can run c:cpu or SysInfo to check the caches.

now before i set fire to my amiga stuff (large bonfire with marshmallows)

heres the story so far...

all libs removed.
copied all libs from Apollo floppy - boots fine as 060 , doom slow
install mmulibs -boots fine as 060 , doom slow

copy 040 & 060 & x60 to libs - amiga thinks its 040 and crashes

replace Apollo 060 accelerator with an Apollo 040 card and it zooooooms along as an 040

pop the 060 accelerator back in and it crawls with 060 libs...

Can someone send me the correct libs from there folder or im going to kill the amiga and use a 486 - so there!

whats the other file in the libs on the Apollo disk, do i need it? or use the mmulibs one?

68o4o
asl.library

Possibly dumb question #1 - is the fastram on the 1260 being recognized?

Possibly dumb question #2 - Any chance the "c:setpatch" line in your startup-sequence has been accidentally commented out, or is missing?

now before i set fire to my amiga stuff (large bonfire with marshmallows)

OK, let's back up a little.

When the Amiga starts loading Workbench, a file in your startup-sequence named "setpatch" is executed.

Among other things, it checks for the presence of a 68040, if found it loads the Commodore 68040.library.

PROBLEM: This version of setpatch is so old, it doesn't know to check for anything better than a 68040, and it sees a 68060 as a 68040. the Commodore 68040.library does not work correctly with the '060.

Hence, the confusing library drama.

The Apollo software gets around this by replacing the Commodore 68040.library with a new one, and two others. The new 68040.library determines which processor you actually have, loads the 68o4o.library if it detects an '040, and the 68060.library if an '060 is present.

If you deleted all CPU libraries, and installed the 3 from the Apollo install disk, everything should work fine.

heres the story so far...

all libs removed.
copied all libs from Apollo floppy - boots fine as 060 , doom slow
install mmulibs -boots fine as 060 , doom slow
Odd - hence the reason I'm wondering about the fastram.

copy 040 & 060 & x60 to libs - amiga thinks its 040 and crashes
Exactly. The MMULib setup works a bit different, since it includes libraries for more than just '040 and '060. Setpatch must be patched if you want to use the 680x0.library.

whats the other file in the libs on the Apollo disk, do i need it? or use the mmulibs one?

68o4o
asl.library
Yup, the first three. (The last one has nothing to do with why it's running slow.) Forget the MMULib setup for now, revisit that later once you get the system working correctly with the factory software.

---------- Post added at 07:00 ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 ----------

One last thought -

I can't recall if the Apollo software enables the caches or not. (It should automatically). If not, that would cause your slowdown problem.

After booting up with the Apollo software, open a shell and type:

cpu caches

Hit return, then try DOOM.

Thanks for your help, it really shouldn't be this hard...

Yes the fast ram is found and works fine, I've even swapped the 060 for a 040 CPU and tried it last night, the 040 flys along.. So I'm sure it's a libs or set up problem.

I will try the cache when I get home today , many thanks for your help :)

michael

Thanks for your help, it really shouldn't be this hard...

LOL! Hey, this is Amiga after all... never had so much fun while going bald. :p

I honestly think it's going to be the caches, from what I tested here the Apollo software doesn't enable them fully. :-/

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

DOH!

After booting up with the Apollo software, open a shell and type:

cpu caches

Hit return, then try DOOM.
That should be: cpu cache (no s)

(y)

Back
Top Bottom