A4000D IDE Options

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Everyone,

I had a few questions about using IDE devices in the Amiga 4000 Desktop. I would appreciate any assistance.

1. I know there is a way to use four IDE devices on the A1200. Is there a way to do this on the A4000D?

2. I installed the demo version of IDE-Fix 97 and was able to get a CD-ROM drive working. This seemed to work great but I was wondering, will IDE-Fix 97 will allow me to use a DVD-ROM drive to read both CDs and DVDs?

3. I just updated my Kickstart ROMs to 3.1. Assuming I can use up to four IDE devices, I would like to install a hard drive, DVD drive and IDE Zip drive. What is the best solution? Is it IDE-Fix 97, AmigaOS 3.9 or something else?

Thanks everyone!

Heather

Re: A4000D IDE Options

SkydivinGirl said:
Everyone,

I had a few questions about using IDE devices in the Amiga 4000 Desktop. I would appreciate any assistance.

1. I know there is a way to use four IDE devices on the A1200. Is there a way to do this on the A4000D?

Hello Heather.

Yes, use the pretty same hardware: an IdeFIX or any other IDE splitter (there are suitable versions for the 40-pins version of A4k). Or even using a 40-to-44 pin adaptor and then the 1200 versions.

Other option is using a DIY cable splitter using nothing more than 2 diodes (and the cable headers, of course). Look in the hacks section of Aminet. :wink:

2. I installed the demo version of IDE-Fix 97 and was able to get a CD-ROM drive working. This seemed to work great but I was wondering, will IDE-Fix 97 will allow me to use a DVD-ROM drive to read both CDs and DVDs?

Just look for DVD mountlist on Aminet and be happy, again. :mrgreen:

3. I just updated my Kickstart ROMs to 3.1. Assuming I can use up to four IDE devices, I would like to install a hard drive, DVD drive and IDE Zip drive. What is the best solution? Is it IDE-Fix 97, AmigaOS 3.9 or something else?

Thanks everyone!

Heather

OS3.9 came with a short-legged version of IDEfix97, so your bases are covered. The newer IDEmax (the IDEfix97 version available on Aminet) will work faster. If you want the faster and expensive way, try the Elbox FastATA.

Good luck with your 4000!

@Heather

The problem you'll have is very similar to mine - not enough space for proper airflow and physically fitting it all in :roll:

A small IDE drive isn't a great deal of a problem as these are available in shorter versions. My problem is I'm trying to use my SCSI interface and these tend to be a bit longer and so it's causing me problems fitting it in.

@rkauer

I wasn't aware that OS3.9 came with a version of IDEFix97 :?:

Dave G 8)

@rkauer

Thanks for the precise information. I called AmigaKit and asked if they have a 4-Device Buffered IDE Interface for the A4000 and they said they did (Product Code ADAA4KIDE), but they were out of stock and were not expecting to have a new batch for another 6 weeks! Does anyone know where else I might be able to find one of these? I could get the A1200 version but then I'd have to use a bunch of converters and I'd rather avoid that. It would not be so bad if I had a network adapter in my A4000 but I am currently using a floppy disk for transfers from my PC to Amiga (Blech!).

I was thinking about just getting a Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition to get around the whole issue. Would this be a good alternative? Does anyone know what the maximum hard drive size is with this product? I can't seem to find any information on their site or the AmigaKit site about maximum size.

Just look for DVD mountlist on Aminet and be happy, again. :mrgreen:

I searched Aminet but was unable to find a DVD mountlist. Would you please post a link or a search term that would help me find it?

OS3.9 came with a short-legged version of IDEfix97, so your bases are covered.

I read somewhere that the IDEfix97 version that comes with OS3.9 does not like the 4-Device cable solution. The Buddha comes with a full version of IDEfix97 so I wonder if that is the way to go.

I love my Amiga but this stuff is more complicated than it needs to be :)

@davideo

I'm going to mount the ZIP drive below the floppy drive in the A4000 and the CD/DVD drive I have is a short BenQ drive so I don't think airflow will be an issue.

Heather

you might consider using 2.5" HDDs in your A4000D's... I have them in both mine. They are small (duh) and allow better ventilation, they don't get hot and they draw less power (in loaded A4000s there can be power issues)
just a suggestion...

I thought it worth pointing out that the A4000's IDE port is buffered and supports 2 devices as standard. Whereas an A1200 IDE port isn't buffered and only supports a single device.

Because of this you should not use buffered IDE interfaces for the A1200 in an A4000.

Your best solution is to get a separate IDE controller as it will be faster and support 4 devices out of the box.

@keropi,

I was actually considering using the 2.5" HDDs but wanted to figure out the connector issue first then work on the actual drives I install. The Buddha has one 2.5" IDE terminal and that is the way I'm leaning. I would appreciate input from anyone who has actually used a Buddha.

@Harrison,

Good information! I'd hate to get the wrong thing even though the 4-Device cables are not too expensive. I've got enough unusable hardware sitting around :) I'm eventually going to go through it and post some of it here.

Heather

I have used a buhhda (last version from amigakit) with an A4000D... threre was NO SPEED difference from the onboard IDE. Plus, if you don't use an idekiller (or connect a cd/dvd to the internal IDE) you will have a 30sec delay in each boot (as kickstarts waits for a HD to respond)
On one of my A4000s I just use a 3.5"->2.5" converter , and a standar rounded IDE cable to connect the HDD and the CDRW I use...

Since I'm not too worried about super fast speed on my IDE devices, I went ahead and ordered the Buddha Flash. From the specs, it looks like it will do everything I am looking to do with IDE on my A4000D. The fact that the cost with shipping was fairly inexpensive, just over $70, and the fact that it gives me all the software I need and an A600/A1200 style clock port makes it a good fit.

Thanks again everyone for your comments! I value your opinions!

Heather

SkydivinGirl said:
@rkauer

Thanks for the precise information. I called AmigaKit and asked if they have a 4-Device Buffered IDE Interface for the A4000 and they said they did (Product Code ADAA4KIDE), but they were out of stock and were not expecting to have a new batch for another 6 weeks! Does anyone know where else I might be able to find one of these? I could get the A1200 version but then I'd have to use a bunch of converters and I'd rather avoid that. It would not be so bad if I had a network adapter in my A4000 but I am currently using a floppy disk for transfers from my PC to Amiga (Blech!).

Did you consider the Cloanto's Amiga Explorer solution? Serial or network connection, no physical media spent...

I searched Aminet but was unable to find a DVD mountlist. Would you please post a link or a search term that would help me find it?

You are welcome! :mrgreen:

DVD support

Did you consider the Cloanto's Amiga Explorer solution?
:shock: I am such a dork! I totally forgot about that! I will definitely be setting that up. I have, after all, bought every version of Amiga Forever that has been released. Thanks for the knock upside the head.

DVD support
Excellent! I will post the results of this endeavor to this thread after I receive the Buddha. I'm quite excited!

Heather

Did u get an IDEkiller too? or u will connect the cd/dvd on the internal IDE? this is important! :mrgreen:

If I can use the internal IDE in addition to the Buddha, which I think I can, then I will either put an IDE-CF adapter or a CD-ROM on the internal controller. If not, I'll get an IDE terminator to take care of the issue :).

Heather

yes you can use both onboard and buddha ide, they are different devices

Back
Top Bottom