A600HD Black Screen

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
Hi guys,

Bought an A600HD, powered up, power led comes on, hd led comes on then off, disk spins up (no abnormal noises) then HD led on constantly aswell as the Caps lock, just a black screen. Are we talking cpu issues here? It still has it`s warranty sealed so would be a shame to pop it but if anyone has any ideas :)

cheers,

Re: A600HD Black Screen

I've encounters exactly this behaviour before with an A600, with the power, HD lights and caps lights all on, and it was a faulty kickstart rom.

Try stripping back the A600 to the bare minimum first to test it. Take out any trap door rm expansions, disconnect the HDD, and then try to boot the system to the kickstart screen. If it still won't boot then it is the kickstart or another hardware issue.

@B

Once you've tested the PSU is OK I'm afraid you are going to have to break that seal.

Firstly as H say's give the KS ROM a good re-seat.
If that doesn't work then try powering up the system without the keyboard connected.

TC :mrgreen:

yeah you know that was exactly what i was thinking after submitting my post, i had the same with an a1200 a little while ago.. I`ll dig it out tonight and :( break the seal... I`ll let you guys know how i get on... If it is the rom i guess i`ll stick a new topic on the wanted section, see if anyone has a 2.05 rom spare for sale.. I presume the a600 rom is the same as the a500/a2k rom, i think i have switched them before (i really should know this after the years i`ve spent sorting miggys out).

will report back,

@B

The KS ROM is NOT the same as the A500/A2000 ROM, you need ver 37.300 which has the scsi.device & pcmcia drivers too.

I'm pretty sure that a re-seat will clear your problem.

TC :mrgreen:

if you have to many problems i have a working a600 m/b from the a1200 in an a600 case if you need it

james

@TheCorfiot: Ah ok, it`s all coming back to me now.. I`ll have a play tonight anyway.

@jimbob005: Appreciate that, i`ll get back with my progress.

cheers,

If you do need to replace the rom make sure you get the later 2.05 (37.350) revision as it supports larger than 40MB HDDs. Or better still get a 3.1 rom, and for 3.1 roms they are the same rom as the A500/A2000 version.

Back
Top Bottom