Unable to copy "big" files from PCMCIA CF to HDD

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
Hi

Today I took a known working (on Amiga of course) 4GB CF card from a friend since I needed to copy some files to both my A1200 machines.

On my 030 A1200 I had no problems, mounted CF0 & copied all files OK.
On my BPPC A1200, I'm only able to copy very small files.
Any file I try to copy which is near 1MB or above, causes the copying application to get stuck (tried Dopus & copying via workbench).
Copying will start, get to between 5%-20% progress, then just get stuck with the mouse pointer showing the clock icon :(

Both machines have ClassicWB installed (3.0 & 3.9) which comes with fat95 & cfd.

I've been messing with this for over an hour & ran out of things to try.
Any idea would be most welcome :)

What is your MaxTransfer value set to?

Not really :(

I tried copying big files between HDD partitions, all Ok.
Looks like it happens only with the CF.

Doubt it, if the BPPC & BVision work Ok, a lowly CF card will not trouble a 300W PSU :)
I had voltage problems with this setup but all is solved now, 5V is steady across the board.

Did you try disabling the bppc and booting without drivers?
As you did save the files on your other machine, now its time to find out why the bppc machine fails.
This is also the machine that had a failing hd-led?
Can you borrow the hdled from the other machine?
Maybe reading from CF is not the problem, but writing to harddisk.
Fitzsteve asked in that direction too, and he knows a lot.

Grtz, PymerOne.

Its not possible for me to boot without the BPPC right now, the machine has KS3.0 & I'm using the BPPC's maprom to get KS3.1 (actually KS3.9) so OS3.9 can boot.

I can of course install WB3.0 instead, but even if it does work on that, it probably wouldnt help with fixing the problem on OS3.9.

As for the HDD writing, I just copied a few files of sizes over 50MB between partitions, there were no problems with that.

I'll try to copy from the CF to RAM: , bypassing the HDD & see what happens :)

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Strange, copying CF->RAM and then RAM->HDD is Ok!
Looks like the problem exists when CF & HDD work together :(

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

And another update:

I just found out that if I take the CF card OUT when copying is stuck, a requester pops up asking me to re-insert it.
When I do that, copying resumes, but then it happens again if the file is big :(

CF-HD fails, CF-RAM-HD works ok.
Nice step into the wright direction, if nothing else you just invented a workaround :)
Ok, now i officially lost it...
I had lotsa writing errors on HD when i fiddled around a bit with maxtransfer, mask and somesuch silly settings.
Guess thats not the prob here.
Oh by the way, my machine (underequipped as it is) failed copying large amounts of files (dragging a folder noobie-style), it seemed my machine simply ran out of memory.
Also not the case here, as you can fit all files in ram and then copy to hd OK.
Sorry to say, better wait for the bigbrains to wake up.....

Grtz, PymerOne.

Yeah, will wait for tomorrow.
Right now it looks to me this is either a SW problem, or maybe a HW problem caused when both CF & HDD work together.
Maybe interference caused by the HDD, who knows...

Thanks for all your suggestions :)

Just to update: it now seems to happen with smaller files as well (<200KB) and when copying to RAM :(

Dear UberFreak,

just a little something i found on tweb:
Q:I cannot copy large files (e.g. .lha archives) to my ZIP/SyQuest (or other removable-media drive) with Workbench anymore, since I installed OS 3.5 on my Amiga--all of these files are corrupted. I use a Phase 5 SCSI controller; what has happened?A:Under OS 3.5, Workbench writes files in a different manner (different to OS 3.0, 3.1, or 3.9 Workbench) which leads to trouble if your hard drive controller doesn't correctly support reselection (which are mostly Phase 5 controllers). Switch off reselection for the appropriate unit and everything should work fine.
[Wolfgang Hosemann]

Grtz, PymerOne.

Hi PymerOne

Dont think this is relevant to me as I'm using OS3.9 with IDE (no SCSI on my BPPC) and also the problem is not file corruption.
When they are copied they seem to be fine, from what I can see.

Try lower the MAX transfer to 0xFE00 or, in worst case scenario, 0x1FE0.

Do you have any other types of PCMCIA drivers installed on the DEVS: drawer? Surf Squirrel drivers are very envious of the port and can mess with its use.

Other than that, maybe an incorrect MASK pointing to non-existent RAM may fuss the matter a bit more. Any SCSI patch running other than "official" NSD?

@rkauer:

Is there a max-transfer setting for the PCMCIA CF?

No other PCMCIA devices installed, only cfd.
As for SCSI patches, I didnt add anything beyond what the BoingBags (1,2,3) do.

No settings needed for the PCMCIA devices, the Gayle itself is a bandwidth limiter "device".

The TTL buffers near the PCMCIA port goes unusually hot? Maybe a near-death TTL chip can explain this erratic behaviour.

Capacitors on the mobo are replaced, right?

The machine is currently closed, i'll have to open it this weekend & check if there's unusual overheating of the TTL chips.

All capacitors on the mobo have been replaced.

Back
Top Bottom