Cyberstorm MKII, 060 and overclock

lostrego

AmiBayer
Country
Spain
Region
A Coruña
Hi All.

I´m doing some research to give my old A4000 a push forward (like changing caps and some other reworks).

My doubts come with a Cyberstom MKII that I have, with an rev.1 060 that always runs fine clocked to 66 Mhz for some years now. (obviously plus heatsink, fan and no Cyber-SCSI controller installed at all).

My doubt is if this board tolerates well higher clock frequencies (say 80 Mhz) If I manage to get one of those rev.6 060s (mask 71E41J or some such). any clue ?

My current RAM config is with 4x32 MB 60 ns. SIMMS .

Thanks in advance to all. :)

Martin.

My MKII works fine with 80MHz but problem is to find good memory for this clock. With 72MHZ works with 60ns. I bought 75MHz and check it this Saturday.

Ok , thanks for the info. Now I remeber that someone told me something like that some time ago.

I assume that is more a matter of luck that a 60 ns. SIMM tolerates those rates or not, aren't it ?

Beacause as far as I know 72c SIMMs with rates below 60ns are ultra-rare and really hard to find (Don't know really but never seen one of those anyway).

Lets wait your testing and see, please tell me. :)

Mine will do 75MHz with 60ns (Crucial/Micron) RAM and a Rev 6 CPU. (Watch the voltage regulator, they can get really hot.) However, above 66MHz you might encounter issues with DMA devices. The MK-II SCSI-kit is almost out of the question, Fastlane and 4091 might also become problematic. (Especially in conjunction with a Picasso IV, which should have the latest bridge revision.) Ultimately, after lots of testing, I settled at 64MHz for reliability, and to keep the DENEB running happy in DMA mode.

Ok, thanks also for the info :) , In my case the troubles with any scsi controller doesn't matter, as I dont use scsi at all nowadays (thats and old story about crap cables, faulty devices, etc... , making me not wanting to mess with anything scsi related for a long time :|).

But is interesting your statement about the picasso IV as I also have one, however as far as I know, It is suited with the last revisions of those bridge chips (there are two if i remember correctly) and firmware.

So, actually dont use any other DMA intensive z3 board (I have got a fastlane also but unused for years), maybe I can give it a try on overclok (well, after finding a rev6. 060, hehe).

And finally for the regulator getting hot, one thing that will help , again if i remember corecctly, is that mine's is a bit over spec on amperage rating , I'll have to compare ratios again between form factor specs one and this one (my CS MKII is an 040 reworked to 060).

Back
Top Bottom