Question about A520 Modulator

Memphis

Country
USA
Region
ILLiNOiS
Hey guys I have A520 on my desk i dig it out from my closet, i have question was the any different between a520 modulator for NTSC and PAL, i belive i have pal version, i just would like to check it before i put it up for sale.

yep there are PAL and NTSC versions. A NTSC version used in the UK will display a black and white image

The PAL version should also have a little switch, to select PAL-I or PAL-G operation.

yeah I also pop it open and I see that crystal is for PAL version, I also test it on my ntsc a500 and its black and white picture. Merlin well the switch is L and H, unless that modulator is broken.

thanks!

All the 520s I've seen have only had L H on them. If I remember correctly that's for the sound carrier.

Dave G :cool:

Erm, I must be mistaken then. FAIL :oops: :Doh:

What was I really thinking of that had the switch for PAL-I or PAL-G? Was it possibly a console adapter...?

Merlin? :wooha: its ok we wont ban you hahah just kidding mate :D

As far as I know, all A520 have the H-L switch to choose which TV channel you want: 3 or 4 for NTSC units and dunno which ones for PAL units.

I belive the only way to tell the difference is just to pop it open and look at the crystal number, i google it and it is PAL.

The NTSC unit doesn't have a crystal.

I'm surprised the PAL one does! I'd have thought that both modulators would get their timings from the Amiga video port... Still, who expects consistency from the big C= anyway? :)

I sold my NTSC A520 on other-bay about 5 years ago. The video output from this El-Cheapo looked like a VHS tape running at the slowest speed.

I hope the PAL version has better quality video output than the NTSC version does. I know there was an S-Video hack for the PAL A520 but I don't know if it works for the NTSC version?

The A520 (both types, as I tested) have the very same crappy quality of the internal RF on A600/1200. Drop all your hopes on the matter.

I actually have the Amitek PAL modulator.

Gotta say, even though it's only composite, fair bit o' difference between that and the A520!

Back
Top Bottom