Closed PSU for Macintosh Performa/LC/Quadra 630.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I am in dire need of a power supply for my Quadra 630. :(
Don't mind condition aslong as it is working and doesn't make any noises.

Thanks for looking.

@tokyoracer: Seeing as you have a power problem, i did some reading around; does the 630 have a power button on the case, or just the keyboard?
If there's only a keyboard button for power, maybe you should consider trying a different keyboard? Just a thought there.. :)

@tokyoracer: Seeing as you have a power problem, i did some reading around; does the 630 have a power button on the case, or just the keyboard?
If there's only a keyboard button for power, maybe you should consider trying a different keyboard? Just a thought there.. :)
Hi salaxi, it has both but it's not power thats the issue, it's noise. It makes a very annoying high pitched screech when connected to the mains.

Well, in that case, you'd either look to repair it, as it sounds like a transformer is noisy or maybe some caps (?). Looks like an easily-accessible unit, meaning an electronics serviceman could do a repair i guess!
However, as this is a BIN, i found this on the other bay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Power-S...-/370505238140?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item5643d5467c
Unfortunately it's across the pond, so dunno shipping charges.
You see, these things are actually more of a lottery-ticket case, someone sells you one saying it's working, you take it, it might work, and still be noisey..
Perhaps a member of this here establishment could offer you a helping hand, and take a look at it? Someone living near you maybe?

Thanks again, I made a thread about the PSU before but it seems theres no real repair options other then another PSU unit. It's not a cap issue, it's a transformer problem.

Thans for the link but postage to the UK would be well north of $50.00 which is out of the quetion for what it is really.

Must 've forgotten your past thread.. Yes, that kinda shipping would be prohibitive! Might as well get yourself another ol' Mac for that kinda dough.. :) Luckilly, the 630's psu is interchangeable with a couple more Macs, like the PowerMac 6200 and 6300, so perhaps sticking with one of those could help.
Good luck on your search mate! (y)

Must 've forgotten your past thread.. Yes, that kinda shipping would be prohibitive! Might as well get yourself another ol' Mac for that kinda dough.. :) Luckilly, the 630's psu is interchangeable with a couple more Macs, like the PowerMac 6200 and 6300, so perhaps sticking with one of those could help.
Good luck on your search mate! (y)
That link was useful to know that the same PSU is used on the 1 form factor (like you said). :) Thanks for your help.

ATX conversion? Looks like someone did it for a 6400:

http://www.zone6400.com/files/mics_mac_info_2.html#ATX_power_supply

which links to the French:

http://www.macbidouille.com/articles/115

If this is one of those boards that's interchangeable with a 6200/6300 then it will also be possible to swap into a 6400/6500 chassis so the same psu conversion might work [and if not, a whole shell swap should, if you can find one].

Not sure whether the 5200-5500 boards are interchangeable with the 6200-6500 series but if so, then 5200s come up cheap from time to time - one on ebay now. In fact here:

http://lowendmac.com/lab/app2.html

someone puts a 5200 board into a 630 case.

Thanks ratfink, the issue with the PSU is that any normal ATX supply i'm aware of would be far too big to fit in the already cramped and awkward case. It's easy enough in the 6400 towers but sadly not for my machine I doubt. :(

Also I am aware of the motherboard swapping and it's a really neat design but i'm happy with my 040/486 hybrid. :)

aw nice, didn't realise you had the hybrid one.

good luck with your search, must say it's a bit worrying when parts start drying up

You should really consider using an ATX after all the wait mate!
There really are quite a few out there that should fit in your original psu's casing, and the wattage would be more than adequate (judging from the 68w the Apple one gives)
Meanwhile, here's an interesting pic:
http://www.g-news.ch/articles/images/plugs.gif
Remember, the 6200/6300 has the same psu.

You should really consider using an ATX after all the wait mate!
There really are quite a few out there that should fit in your original psu's casing, and the wattage would be more than adequate (judging from the 68w the Apple one gives)
Meanwhile, here's an interesting pic:
http://www.g-news.ch/articles/images/plugs.gif
Remember, the 6200/6300 has the same psu.
You're probably right, I wouldnt know where to look though to be honest (keywords and the suchlike). :(

Easy-peasy! You should start by taking a measurement of your original psu's outer dimensions. Then start looking for something that would be just a wee bit smaller, or even much smaller. Once you get an ATX that's small enough, you could start the conversion, and transfer the innards of your new psu to the original psu's case.. (y)

Easy-peasy! You should start by taking a measurement of your original psu's outer dimensions. Then start looking for something that would be just a wee bit smaller, or even much smaller. Once you get an ATX that's small enough, you could start the conversion, and transfer the innards of your new psu to the original psu's case.. (y)
Hmm true, what about ampages and the suchlike? Obviously I need to get a 220v one but what if I cant find the right ampage?

If I search for PSU's all I get are universal ones and ATX types. :( I can't find the tiny unique ones with all the common ones cluttering up the search results.

Hi.

I have a power macintosh 7200, if its psu is ok for you model i can sell it for 35 euro plus 30 euro for shipping (UPS). I am in Spain. I can send you the whole cpu case if you want to pay more for shipping, same price, 35 euro.

Let me know.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom