Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi.

As i am thinking of rebuilding my A1200 T Mediator later this year, and being now an absolute fan of PC bridgeboard in every big box amiga, a weird question comes to my mind.

In a PCI busboard, there is of course no ISA slot to use with a Commodore bridgeboard or GoldenGate. However, a PCI single board computer could be used, with a lot more CPU power than usual bridgeboard. But, as those cards have the ability to control other PCI cards by busmastering, what would happen with, for instance, a SoundBlaster PCI card if both the Amiga part and the SBC part take control of it at the same time?
This problem does not occur with ISA slots in big box amigas, since ISA slots have no way to be used directly by the Amiga.

Any idea?

Last edited:
As far as I know, you can't install a SBC inside a Mediator.

Of course not! I don't want to fry a MediTator MACH chip (or all).

It may be ok with those Zorro IV busboards that have inactive PCI slots then.

I would only find this intersting in a big box tower amiga, since the d versions are all very hot machines and when you like to bring to today standards you need all the pci slots it has. Like on a4000:

deneb usb slot taken
pci sound blaster
pci graphic car radeon
pci network like realtek

And then if you put it in and if it works wich I will not take part in discussion, you end up with a switch box.

Now i'm asking the same question about ISA SBC and the AteoBus.

The AteoBus has 4 ISA slots, but only the Pixel64 RTG and the AteoNET are useful. AteoSCSI and AteoSER/PAR are crap and there is no soundcard driver available (though a Gravis Ultrasound driver has been discussed a couple of years ago on a french amiga board).

But again, would a SBC trash the bus?

Back
Top Bottom