GVP 040/33 Combo and OS 3.9 ?!?!

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
I have just put together ANOTHER system (my wife will kill me when she finds out...).

This time it is a Rev 6.4 A2000 (with 2mb chip onboard hack), ks 3.1 roms, GVP 040/33 Combo (16mb onboard) and a scsi to IDE converter with a 2.5GB Seagate ST1 Microdrive.

Anywho, I have set up ClassicWB 3.9 with boingbag 1 and 2 updates.... actually, I think I pinched the HDF of this from Zetr0s dropbox.... but dont tell anyone...

Well, it boots until it gets to Workbench, then it opens a CLI and just stops.

I have commented out EVERYTHING in the startup and even renamed the WBStartup drawr - still it does the same thing.

I pinched another 2.5gb microdrive from an A600 which has ClassicWB 68k on it - it boots up fine.

So it is not a hardware problem, it must be a software conflict.

Any ideas? Is the scsi.device from BB2 not compatible with the GVP Combo 040?

Help! :)

True, so it should make no difference what scsi.device updates the system loads. Good call. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is it trying to open a Copper Backdrop? (wont work on non AGA machines)

What? It just boots to a 1> prompt? I've had that happen to me a couple of times before. I'm still not sure exactly what caused it, but a re-install solved it.

Try typing SYS: then dir and finding out if the machine really booted from the volume you think it did. Whack an "echo Doing stuff" at the top of S:Startup-sequence and see if it ever echoes anything. Swap in a different DEVS:system-configuration with different default colours and see if it loads that. (Steal one from Workbench 1.3)

Maybe try 'execute S:Startup-sequence' and see if you can boot the system that way?

Well, not exactly. It boots, then resets (as 3.9 does) then boots until the workbench screen first appears (for a split second) then a cli flashes in front, behind, in front, behind, in front and finally behind the blank workbench screen... and this is where it sits.

In that case have you tested the short cut keys (sorry I can't remember the combination) to switch the WB screen to the back and see what's in the CLI window?

Dave G :cool:

Keropi, you win the prize! :)

I renamed 68040.library (the one that comes with 3.9) to 68040.libraryDISABLED... system boots to wb perfectly.

I have since tried the Commodore 68040 library that came with 3.1... no good.

Anyone know where I can get the GVP specific 68040 library?

ah, so it was the library after all!
I run into similar probs in the past with the 060 libs....

Back
Top Bottom