Digging up some of my old code...

LamboJay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Charlotte, NC
Way back when, One of my main HD's utterly failed. It's one of the reasons I put all my Amiga stuff in a closet the last 12 years or so.

The failed HD is long gone but I've been working on recovering as much as possible from floppy and tape backups and wanted to show off a couple of apps I wrote back in the day.

These probably have limited appeal to most people other than maybe Zetro and a couple others.

Anyhow, the first app is a table driven cross-assembler for the 8051, Z80 and several other cpu's. Back in '89 I was a college student studying embedded systems. We used 8051 micro controllers to build real word devices. The school had several Intel development workstations to write and assemble code. But I wanted to write the code from my dorm room. So I found an 8051 assembler for the pc that came with source code when you registered it. I got hold of the code, ported it to the Amiga and also added a dis-assembler to it. The assemble would spit out Intel hex files ready to be burned onto an empty chip. All I had to do was upload the file from my dorm to the campus server and burn a chip from there.

Here is a screenshot of the assembler in action along with a simple test program and the output files.

Attachments

• Txad2.jpg
    Txad2.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 0
The next app goes along with the first. It's an 8051 simulator. The app would load the source assembler and output hex files then allow you to single step through the code, allowing you to see the values of all the registers and ports of the cpu change as each line executed.

This app was never completed though and I don't have most of the source files for it. But here is a screenshot of it in action such as it is...

Attachments

• Sim.jpg
    Sim.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
It looks good - miles too technical for me.

I only ever wrote in 6502 assembler :oops:

Dave G :cool:

Both of these apps were written on an A1000 with 512MB ram, OS1.3 and dual floppy drives (No HD back then) and Aztec C 3.6

The 6502 code I wrote was on a UK101 - 4KB RAM, no HD, no floppy disc drive, only a 600 baud tape recorder - now I'm showing my age :shhh:

The 6502 code I wrote was on a UK101 - 4KB RAM, no HD, no floppy disc drive, only a 600 baud tape recorder - now I'm showing my age :shhh:

Cool stuff. Pretty sure the dev systems the school had at the time used an 8.5" floppy. Yikes!

Next app is a very basic spreadsheet. It doesn't seem to run/display properly on OS 3 for whatever reason. It had the basic math functions plus tan(), sign(), sqrroot(), etc, etc... but that's about all it could do. I made it for the sake of learning how to do it really. I think the name of the app is rather funny concidering how little it actually did :LOL:

Attachments

• Sheet.jpg
    Sheet.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 0
Things were relatively easier in the old days ;)

As long as you could squash your code into minimal RAM all was good. Not like some of the bloated stuff around nowadays :oops:

No need to worry about opening screens, windows, rastports and viewports etc. Just put the relevant byte into the correct address and your screen was ready to go (y)

Things were relatively easier in the old days ;)

As long as you could squash your code into minimal RAM all was good. Not like some of the bloated stuff around nowadays :oops:

No need to worry about opening screens, windows, rastports and viewports etc. Just put the relevant byte into the correct address and your screen was ready to go (y)

Oh, so true! Why does winbloze run so slow? They just ad more crap on top. Now a simple call has to go through 15 layers before it actually does anything useful. :tired:

Oh, so true! Why does winbloze run so slow? They just ad more crap on top. Now a simple call has to go through 15 layers before it actually does anything useful. :tired:

:ROTFLOL2::ROTFLOL2:

Back
Top Bottom