PDA

View Full Version : Closed Socket 478 motherboard wanted

Merlin
16th February 2009, 12:44
Hi,

I'm looking for a socket 478 motherboard, preferably one that can take DDR-II memory; it doesn't matter if the board is AGP or PCI-E or even has on board video, I am just building a spare machine for my son. It doesn't have to be mint and boxed, as long as it has the backplate, manual and drivers CD.

If you have one lying around spare, give me a shout with price including UK postage.

Ta

Merlin

arnljot
16th February 2009, 15:34
I have one working dell, and one more beefed up. The later has it smd bios chip removed. I never got around to put in the new socket.

The bios less is free. Cost of shipping only. The dell one is $64000 or ONO:-) lol

Hi,

I'm looking for a socket 478 motherboard, preferably one that can take DDR-II memory; it doesn't matter if the board is AGP or PCI-E or even has on board video, I am just building a spare machine for my son. It doesn't have to be mint and boxed, as long as it has the backplate, manual and drivers CD.

If you have one lying around spare, give me a shout with price including UK postage.

Ta

Merlin

arnljot
16th February 2009, 15:37
Ps, I have a burnt bios chip for it. Just not the right kind of socket, I ordered the wrong kind from biosman.com

Kin Hell
16th February 2009, 16:09
I have one working dell, and one more beefed up. The later has it smd bios chip removed. I never got around to put in the new socket.

The bios less is free. Cost of shipping only. The dell one is $64000 or ONO:-) lol

LOL arnljot! :lol:

arnljot
16th February 2009, 16:36
The "no bios" card is a MSI 865PE Neo2-V (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=865PE_Neo2-V), and I have two spare bios chips for it. But the card has no socket for them, it needs to be bought elsewhere and soldered on. Like I said, this bundle is free, only cost is P&P.

The dell card is from a Dell Dimension 8300, support info is here (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/techov.htm). Having done some soul searching, and research. I've decided that a fair value for the Dell card is 30, and then add P&P.

One important thing to bear in mind with the Dell card is that it's not any common form factor. It's Dell. So you either need to customize a case, or buy a Dell case. This Dell 8300 is collecting dust in my attic with my 3Ghz P4 prescot cpu. If you don't take it, I'll "MAME" it one day.

Merlin
16th February 2009, 19:28
@ arnljot

I'll pass, thanks; I think my old Black & Decker "rework station" might melt the socket while trying to attach it!!

:lol:

Zetr0
16th February 2009, 19:47
pics pics pics,

I may be able to help :)

arnljot
16th February 2009, 23:08
pics pics pics,

I may be able to help :)

Merlin, I do not mean to hijack your thread - but I think the idea is that Zetr0 might fix this puppy up for you :-)

Zetr0
17th February 2009, 10:42
@Arnie

easy peasy!

even in my weak (infected) state I can do that, I think i have a 28pin PLCC socket doing nothing ;)

think I may have a few programmable chippies too :D

@Merlicious

upto you m8y, if your not in a rush I can do this for you m8, Kiniies Z3 must come first :)

arnljot
17th February 2009, 11:01
@Merlin

The price is btw sans CPU. If you need that too we can discuss. Just realized that I'd posted pics with CPU & Fan.

@Zetr0

Glad to hear you can help. Btw it's either "Ar9" or "arnljot". "Arnie", "Arnljot" or other variants are not acknowledged :lol:

Zetr0
17th February 2009, 16:55
LOL

sure thing Ar9 :)

Triumph
18th February 2009, 16:04
I have a Gigabyte Skt 478 Mobo you can have for the price of postage - It`s AGP. I have the backplate and I think Drivers, doubt I have the manual.

There is a small problem with it - Some of the Capacitors need replacing - the board will run fine for months, then Blue Screen of death, reboot, fine for another few months.
It`s a pretty decent board other than that, I was pondering whether to bin it or sell it till I saw your post.

Lemmy know if you`re interested..........

arnljot
20th February 2009, 17:18
@Merlin

You lucky git :-) :lol: Now you have two suitors, if you take me up on the offer I will ship it to Zetro tomorrow.

arnljot
25th February 2009, 17:03
I withdraw my offer since I've desided to make a MAME tabletop

Merlin
25th February 2009, 18:36
Fair enough.

scrappysphinx
28th February 2009, 14:58
Hey Merlin, if your interested i have 3 motherboards with CPU's you can have for the price of po$stage.
The first is a fully working ECS K7S5A complete with AMD Duron 1600Mhz CPU and heatsink/fan.
[attachment=2:8lp456t8]K7S5A.JPG[/attachment:8lp456t8]

The Second is a fully working MS-6380E complete with AMD Athlon 1600Mhz CPU and heatsink/fan
[attachment=1:8lp456t8]MS-6380E.JPG[/attachment:8lp456t8]

The third is an untested (because i had no heatsink/fan) MS6787 with (i believe) a P4 skt478 CPU but no heatsink/fan.
[attachment=0:8lp456t8]MS-6787.JPG[/attachment:8lp456t8]

I don't have any driver disks for any of them although i'm sure you could find them on the web easy enough. Also the two AMD mobo's don't have backplates but the skt478 p4 does.
I recieved all these mobo's from freecycle and don't wanna bin them if they can be of use to you or someone else.

Thanks

Mike

Merlin
28th February 2009, 19:09
Thanks Scrappy,

Please let me know what the postage would be for the third board & CPU - the MS6787, and I will sort payment out..

Cheers

M

scrappysphinx
3rd March 2009, 00:49
pm sent regarding postage

shem
4th March 2009, 22:44
The 2nd one looks interesting
I have to upgrade my sisters pc as she is using a celeron 1Ghz dont know how she manages

Kin Hell
4th March 2009, 23:00
Not wanting to appear as though I am pimping one's thread here, but I have a 2.4Ghz Celeron available if required! :wink:

shem
4th March 2009, 23:03
@Kin

lol

I doubt my sister board would take a 2.4 I would need the mb and cpu :roll:

scrappysphinx
4th March 2009, 23:23
sorry guys, the first is reserved for merlin when i hear back from him regarding shipping and the other two are spoken for now. The k7s5a has been given to my brother to upgrade him from a p3 800mhz to the amd 1600Mhz and the middle (red) one has now been installed into a tower for my grandmother (an 87 year old lady who wants to surf the net!?). She's a mad one lol
I may have another amd board with i think a 1400mhz duron or athlon if your interested shem but i'll have to check and make sure.

mike

Merlin
5th March 2009, 09:11
@ Scrappy

I'll get payment to you over the weekend.

:)

M

Triumph
20th March 2009, 19:58
@ Scrappy

I'll get payment to you over the weekend.

:)

M

Merlin,
I assume you`re not interested in my Gigabyte board now? lemmy know & if not I`ll pop it in the recycle bin.........

Merlin
20th March 2009, 20:13
Oops, sorry for not getting back to you on that, Triumph; you can put yours in the Recycle Bin.

Cheers