Amiga 4000 IDE Cables

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I did a quick search but did not find any information so here's my question:

Can I use newer 80-Conductor IDE cables with Classic Amigas (A4000 IDE Interface, Buddha, etc) or should I stick with the 40-Conductor cables of the computer's era? Honestly, the primary reason I would like to use the new cables is so I can use the nice rounded versions that are available. It would clean up the inside of my A4000D and help with air flow.

Thanks!

Heather

Re: Amiga 4000 IDE Cables

@Heather

You should be OK to use the 80conductor type, It's just the individual grounding they carry required for the higher speed transfer IDE specs, I've certainly used them in non-80conductor IDE Interfaces with no issues, It goes without saying though you wont get the speed improvement but maybe better sheilding & signal quality.

TC :mrgreen:

That's pretty much what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I don't have anything on my Amiga that is not backed up elsewhere but it can be a little bit of a pain to re-install everything.

Oh! I was able to use WinUAE to install ClassicWB 3.9 on my A4000. I am still getting used to it though.

Thanks!

Heather

@Heather

So glad you took the advice to install Classic Workbench 3.9, & I hope you got the Dec24 2008 release. WinUAE does make OS installs soooo easy & best of all you keep a "backup" of your system as a HDF file should you ever need to restore it.

You will enjoy Classic WB as it comes with all the useful tools already installed & configured

Best Wishes
TC :wink:

Yep! I did receive the December release. Bloodwych sent great directions and tips along with his message that made setup a snap. Now I just need to figure out where to put my WHDLoad registration information to get rid of the nag screens :)

Thanks!

Heather

@Heather

Great V24 Classic Workbench Rocks !!!!
WHDLoad is easy, Wepl will have sent you an LHA via email.
Simply extract the files & look for the WHDLoad.key file & place it in your "s" directory & the nag screen is no more :wink:

Let us know if you have any plroblems with it.

Best Wishes
TC :mrgreen:

I'll give it a try tonight! I love this site. :) I'll also try out one of the 80-Conductor cables.

Heather

Back
Top Bottom