PDA

View Full Version : Dial-Up Amiga Games

SkydivinGirl
17th February 2009, 20:05
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a way to play Dial-Up Amiga Games (Such as Firepower) over the internet using WinUAE or any other emulator? I would love to be able to play some of these games against my friend from High School; we used to play constantly.

Thanks guys!

Heather

Harrison
18th February 2009, 00:23
You might be able to get them working using WinUAE - Kaillera. Which you can find at http://kaillera.abime.net/

However, this project was discontinued quite some time ago so the version of WinUAE used in the last version released is quite old. 0.8.23 or something. It allows you to play Amiga games over a network or internet connection so it is what you are looking for.

I am actually very surprised that no other projects have continued this idea for more emulators, or that no one else has tried to continue with Kaillera.

SkydivinGirl
18th February 2009, 16:31
That is truly an amazing project! I wish it was still in development. Unfortunately, it seems more like a remote control mechanism, allowing both players to play on the same virtual machine, than allowing you to emulate a dial-up modem over the internet.

I'm not holding out too much hope for this... I could hook up a modem to my Amiga and dial long distance but my friend and I both no longer have land lines... Stupid technological advances... :D

Thanks!

Heather

Justin
18th February 2009, 17:01
thought i'd better self mod my smutty comment there! :evil:

SkydivinGirl
18th February 2009, 17:11
:?: I'm confused... :?:

Heather

Hessu
18th February 2009, 17:40
Long time ago, i managed to play Stunt Car Racer, against my friend using A1200<-Null serial cable->Win98PC/WinUAE(I think it was an early version of cloanto) And i think we had to use a Jrcomm/Hypercomm connection between the amiga and pc. Haven't tested it with WinVista, but should work, though, the Hypercomm has to be downloaded or dig it out from previous Windows version, since Vista has dropped it out.

Kin Hell
18th February 2009, 17:41
Yeah Juv? - Why the self-mod m8y? :lol:

SkydivinGirl
18th February 2009, 17:55
@Hessu

But were you playing a local game or over dial-up? He's got a real Amiga to play on but, as I said, neither of us has land lines. I'm somewhat shocked that there is not a program that emulates a modem over Ethernet. Enter the IP Address as the phone number from your old program then the emulated modem "Dials" that IP address and the same software on the other end "Answers".

If I were a programmer, I'd write one myself. :)

Heather

Hessu
18th February 2009, 18:11
Local, as it was connected via null cable, but it was so long time ago, that i can't tell you for sure, but just told as how i remember it done. By the way, i had a modem connection back then and played many games via modem with my friends, but i think i've never tried it with amiga games, but there was a possibility to make a telnet connection over the ethernet, if i remember this correctly, at least by the windows side. Not sure if there is such a program for amigas.

Justin
18th February 2009, 18:52
Yeah Juv? - Why the self-mod m8y? :lol:

lol Kin, i thought you'd deffo pick up on it!! :D

Kin Hell
18th February 2009, 20:51
/Kin gazes @ the Monitor Blankly......

TheCorfiot
18th February 2009, 22:39
/TC gazes @ the Monitor Blankly......

Merlin
18th February 2009, 23:05
/Merlin thinks JuvUK made some kind of smutty "interface" type comment, :shock: or summat like that..... :roll: :oops:

fnarr!

Kin Hell
18th February 2009, 23:09
Ay up! - Merlin has his dirty "laugh head" on again! - Fnarr!! :lol:

Justin
18th February 2009, 23:15
lol i ain't saying what i thought as it may incriminate me :wink:
wern't nowt 'bout interfaces though lol

JuvUK

Merlin
18th February 2009, 23:19
OK, I think I get it.

Maybe a comment like something about "playing on virtual machines...?"

oooerrr missus!!

I am in "Finbar Saunders" mode tonight, so I think I am sort of in the right area....

/Merlin waits for SdG to really get confused now; Google is your friend, as always.... :D

Kin Hell
18th February 2009, 23:50
LOL!! I'm crying with laughter wondring wtf Juzzer is making of all this! :lol:

/Kin rolls off the stage & into the crowd to hide..... 8)

SkydivinGirl
21st August 2009, 21:59
I asked a question back in February.

Does anyone know if there is a way to play Dial-Up Amiga Games (Such as Firepower) over the internet using WinUAE or any other emulator?
Well, I found an answer! A company called Lantronix makes Serial to Ethernet adapters that allow you to connect serial based devices to your network then access them from your computer using a virtual serial port.

They also have another feature. You can connect the serial end of the device to a terminal or retro computer and "Dial" an IP Address and Port using the ATDT command. In order to use this as an internet modem, you would have one of these devices connected to each of your Amiga computers and open a port through your firewall that points to the devices IP address. Next, you open your video game/terminal software/any program that uses a modem and tell it to dial the IP address of the other device. For example, ATDT192.168.0.2,222 would call the IP address 192.168.0.2 port 222.

I used this device to connect my Commodore 128 to Quantum Link Reloaded and from there I was able to chat on IRC from my 8-Bit computer. Unfortunately, the devices aren't cheap and I only have one so I haven't been able to test it connecting two Amiga games to each other. The main problem I can foresee with games is that they may not let you use periods or commas in the phone number field.

Thanks!

Heather

Harrison
25th August 2009, 17:59
That sounds like a very useful device for older systems. Do you have a link to the actual product you are using? I looked on the http://www.lantronix.com site but they have a lot of products to go through.

Personally though I would love someone to take up the Kaillera idea again and continue developing it for the current version of WinUAE. I don't really understand why this hasn't been done, or why there hasn't been much interest in it being a part of WinUAE.

The SNES emulator SNES9x has had this feature for years and it works perfectly.

SkydivinGirl
25th August 2009, 18:24
The exact model I have is the UDS1100 (http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/uds1100.html). Click on the model for a link. It has the "Modem Replacement" mode that allows you to use it like I showed. :) Let me know if you get one! I'd love to test a game over this device to see if it will work.

Thanks!

Heather

Harrison
26th August 2009, 15:53
Reading how this works, surely someone must have written some software that does a similar thing for emulators in software. Intercepting serial port modem calls from the emulated system and emulating it to connect into a LAN, making the emulator think it has connected via modem?

This modem emulation is surely something that WinUAE could really use as a built in feature. Maybe we should approach Toni and ask him?

SkydivinGirl
26th August 2009, 16:32
I know that WinVICE allows you to connect a serial port to an IP address, just like this device does. You can connect through terminal software to a telnet BBS through the VICE emulator using this feature. So it obviously has been done in emulation already. Having it done in WinUAE would be great!

I also thought of a way of getting around the IP Address length using the Lantronix device. Simply make a DNS entry for the IP address then you can use that short DNS name instead of the IP address in your dialing process. For example, instead of having to "dial" 192.168.0.1,222 you could create a DNS entry called 5551212 then "dial" 5551212,222 and the DNS server would resolve the address. Of course, I haven't tested whether or not the device will resolve DNS names so it might not work like I think it does. I'll have to test it to find out. :)

Take care,

Heather