PDA

View Full Version : Found FOUND: RM Nimbus PC

woodycool
19th February 2009, 22:25
Hi all,

I'm looking for an RM Nimbus PC, a working one, please!

For those who don't know what one is, here's a pic of one:
http://woody-cool.no-ip.biz/pics/rm_nimbus_pc.jpg
I live in the UK and don't mind picking it up.

Cheers
woodycool

Kin Hell
21st February 2009, 17:09
You're a "Brave" man....... :mrgreen:

Best of Luck though!

Kin

BinoX
22nd February 2009, 11:34
I believe that I have at least one of those hidden at the back of my shed...

I'll have a rummage around tomorrow and let you know :)

Not sure if I have the original keyboard or not though, although I'm sure I have one that will work :)

woodycool
23rd February 2009, 12:45
Thanks! 8)

BinoX
26th February 2009, 22:34
I'm sure I have the nimbus somewhere around, but I just can't find it!

I've found a mouse and a basic manual to go with the nimbus, but no idea where I've put the machine itself.

If I come across it I'll let you know.

Kin Hell
1st March 2009, 00:59
/....Kin sniggers.... :mrgreen:

woodycool
3rd March 2009, 11:38
This ain't looking hopeful!

shem
4th March 2009, 01:37
Wow last time I saw one of these I was still in school
just as a matter of interest what was the spec on this machine I remember using a program called mail box a primitive mailing software and it got me into a lot of trouble
these machines ran BBC basic and as the teacher removed all the games I decided to type a bbc game out it was snake just like the nokia version but in color and mailed it to everyone teacher was not impressed :D

woodycool
5th March 2009, 13:50
They had an Intel 80186 processor (probaly the only machine I knew that had one) and had 640k RAM.
No HDD (although later models had one) and they had a 720k floppy drive.

TheCorfiot
5th March 2009, 17:19
@woodycool

Bit OT but here goes, The BBC Master DOS 2nd processor carried an 80186 too.

TC :mrgreen:

shem
5th March 2009, 18:35
That's why it was easy to port BBC basic to it
Thats what got me into trouble

woodycool
13th March 2009, 13:58
@woodycool

Bit OT but here goes, The BBC Master DOS 2nd processor carried an 80186 too.

Cool 8)
That's a good fact to know.

btw. I'm still looking for a Nimbus .... is anyone gonna own up to having one? :lol:

woodycool
28th May 2009, 10:35
Bumpety Bump Bump ....... Bump :ROTFLOL2:

Sorry, but still looking for one of these :)

hillbear
28th May 2009, 13:42
I've made some enquries at work (which may or may not be a certain two letter establishment) - apparantly these are like rocking horse poop and therefore there aren't any kicking around. You might get a bite by posting on one of the UK Education ICT forums - I'm sure I've seen the odd Nimbus floating around in a server room or two on my travels, you just need to find the Network Manager/Technician that's using it as a footrest!

HTH!

woodycool
24th August 2009, 15:18
I've finally found one of these.
It works (it boots from the floppy disk) but I don't have the correct monitor cable/adaptor.
Does anyone know what the pinouts of the colour monitor connector (8-pin DIN) are?

TheCorfiot
24th August 2009, 15:25
@woody

I can't believe you found one working :shock:

Well done mate, I'll have a look around see If I can find the pinout. I'm pretty sure it's going to be TTL video levels though so we may have to go down the route of attenuation resistors for a regular scart or analogue monitor.

BTW -- Do you get the proper monitor with it ????

TC :D

Edit - Found this quote..

"The video output was either a BBC standard 5 pin DIN plug or a 9 pin Sub-D plug giving a CGA level output. The 286 and 386 versions had VGA 15 Pin Sub-D plugs instead."

So my guess is std CGA (TTL) pinout will apply :wink:

Merlin
24th August 2009, 15:41
Are you sure it's a 8 pin DIN? I thought Nimbus PCs came with either 5 pin DIN (like the BBC) or 9 pin sub-D connectors; the output is CGA standard, if that helps.

Could you post a photo of the connector?

Edit: not quite quick enough on the draw - TC got there first!!
2nd Edit: 8 pin, not 9 - :Doh:

TheCorfiot
24th August 2009, 15:43
Are you sure it's a 9 pin DIN?

And I think Merly means 8 pin :run:

Merlin
24th August 2009, 15:45
Shucks, 8 pin.....

@ TC

Do you think Woody might get this to display on an EGA monitor? If so, I may have one (an old IBM) in the loft.

TheCorfiot
24th August 2009, 15:50
@Merlin

Possibly

EGA is defined as Digital Input which is basically TTL levels for R-G-B and then a control signal for intensity....Analogue. The Line frequency may have been different though, can't remember this is all to long ago :lol:
If he has a Beeb style 5pin socket then this can be configured to work with any 15Khz screen by the use of some clever limiting resistor's ala Beeb.

Truthfully anything can be hacked to work one way or another :twisted:
Lets see if woodycool has the original monitor first...

TC :wink:

woodycool
24th August 2009, 15:52
Shucks, 8 pin.....

@ TC

Do you think Woody might get this to display on an EGA monitor? If so, I may have one (an old IBM) in the loft.
Well, I can get it do display an out of sync picture on my TV :laugh:
And yes, I'm 100% sure it's 8-pin DIN for the colour connector and 6-pin DIN for the mono connector (why it needs 6 pins to display a B&W image is beyond me)

woodycool
24th August 2009, 15:54
I'm pretty sure it's going to be TTL video levels though so we may have to go down the route of attenuation resistors for a regular scart or analogue monitor.
I have a Microvitec CUB monitor (like the ones people use on the BBC Mirco) and that's TTL :) just got the wrong lead for it :(

BTW -- Do you get the proper monitor with it ????
They did have an official monitor with them at some point, but I was given base unit only :(

Kin Hell
24th August 2009, 17:39
@ Woody

I have a Cub Monitor lead here. 23 pin Amiga to "5-pin-round-AT-thingy-meh-jobby".

Ne gud?

Kin

woodycool
24th August 2009, 17:44
@ Woody

I have a Cub Monitor lead here. 23 pin Amiga to "5-pin-round-AT-thingy-meh-jobby".

Ne gud?

Kin
Are you sure it's 5-pin? If it's for a Cub monitor, it should be 6-pin at the monitor with the pins arranged in a sort of double V shape (and NOT the 6-pin that's actually a 5-pin with a centre pin added)

but not the in a circle (I can get a pic if needed) ... if you have a BBC Micro, Acorn Electron or an Amstrad CPC, it's the same monitor connector as they have.
The later Cubs, had an 8-pin (kind of like the RM Nimbus I have)

If the cable is a 23-pin D to 6-pin DIN, then although it's not needed for the Nimbus, it would be useful to me anyway, as then I could use my Cub on one of my Amigas :)
Name your please (once you've confirmed the amount of pins etc.)
Thank you!

woodycool

Kin Hell
24th August 2009, 17:53
See scabby Pics. This is not at all clean. FOC if it's any good & ya want it.

Kin

woodycool
24th August 2009, 18:06
See scabby Pics. This is not at all clean. FOC if it's any good & ya want it.

Kin
Cheers
That'd be 100% useful (although not for the Nimbus) .... it'll give me the ability to use my Amiga on the Cub monitor :thumbsup2:
Can I have it please?

I'll PM you my address

Cheers
woodycool

TheCorfiot
24th August 2009, 18:47
@woody

The Microvitec Cubs (Acorn Beeb Version NOT Sinclair ZX Specials), are TTL Voltage input my friend. ie they output +5V pulse on the relevent colour line to switch the Electron Guns on or Off, hence max colour bandwidth = 8 Colours (inc Black & white).

Amiga's as you know are Analogue RGB based which output a variable 0 to 0.7V analogue signal on each colour line to provide an infinite colour bandwidth dependant on the D to A Resolution of the Video Generation circuit.

For reference
Amiga OCS / ECS = 4 Bit, ie hex 0 to 15 per R-G-B line
Amiga AGA = 8Bit, ie hex 0 to 255 per R-G-B line

I can't see an Amiga working with a BBC Microvitec cub monitor I'm afraid.

TC :)

Kin Hell
24th August 2009, 19:08
*cough*

I had a Cub Monitor that did work on the Amiga. This is the lead from it. The monitor arrived Fubar courtesy of Royal Fail. Can not remember the eBay number, it's that long ago.

Was a black thing I recall, ....longer than it was square from the front, ....with a screen so curvy, it looked like a Globe of the world sliced in half. - PMSL! :jester:

But yeah Woody, it's your's fella. :D

Kin

woodycool
24th August 2009, 19:34
@woody
The Microvitec Cubs (Acorn Beeb Version NOT Sinclair ZX Specials), are TTL Voltage input my friend. ie they output +5V pulse on the relevent colour line to switch the Electron Guns on or Off, hence max colour bandwidth = 8 Colours (inc Black & white).

Amiga's as you know are Analogue RGB based which output a variable 0 to 0.7V analogue signal on each colour line to provide an infinite colour bandwidth dependant on the D to A Resolution of the Video Generation circuit.

For reference
Amiga OCS / ECS = 4 Bit, ie hex 0 to 15 per R-G-B line
Amiga AGA = 8Bit, ie hex 0 to 255 per R-G-B line

I can't see an Amiga working with a BBC Microvitec cub monitor I'm afraid.

TC :)
Just to settle things, I have tried an Amiga on a TTL monitor before ... it does work, but some colours don't display as expected.
To make things a tad bit better, the Cub monitor I have is Spectrum special version (it has Spectrum input and a TTL input) .... and from what I've been told, it's also possible to change a jumper internally to switch from TTL to Analogue RGB (although I'm yet to investigate this)

And anyway, if it doesn't work with the Amiga, I'll chop the 23-pin D off the end and have a go at putting an 8-pin DIN (for my RM Nimbus ;) )

But yeah Woody, it's your's fella. :D
Cheers :thumbsup2:

TheCorfiot
24th August 2009, 19:52
@Kinny

*cough*

The Microvitec Cubs (Acorn Beeb Version NOT Sinclair ZX Specials), are TTL Voltage input

woodycool
24th August 2009, 19:54
@Kinny

*cough*

The Microvitec Cubs (Acorn Beeb Version NOT Sinclair ZX Specials), are TTL Voltage input
Well, the one I have does TTL at the moment (and apparently it's changeable via a jumper)

TheCorfiot
24th August 2009, 20:00
@woody

I don't deny that the "Sinclair" versions are much more flexible and indeed the later Archemedes compatible ones too (Analogue RGB)...

Well, the one I have does TTL at the moment (and apparently it's changeable via a jumper)
That's because it's the Sinclair version, same as Kinny's

But the Bog standard Acorn BBC Micro cubs are TTL only, I've repaired quite a few of them over the years and still have one at home for use with my Beebs. :D

Kin Hell
24th August 2009, 20:22
@ TC

Is TTL input like the 9 pin Monitor affair? - It's so long ago, I can't remember. :ROTFLOL2:

RE: the Cub I had here, 'twas binned after Royal Fail coughed up. :D

Kin

woodycool
24th August 2009, 20:46
@ TC

Is TTL input like the 9 pin Monitor affair? - It's so long ago, I can't remember. :ROTFLOL2:
No, it's a 6-pin DIN plug, just like the one on that lead you sent me a pic of.
Under normal circumstances, I believe that TTL is normally a 9-pin D-SUB, but the CUB monitors were made mostly for Acorn hardware, which had the 6-pin DIN plug, so to make it easy, they put the same connector on the monitor. This ment you could (well, still can) use a 6-pin to 6-pin DIN cable to hook the machine up.

Kin Hell
24th August 2009, 21:25
/....Kin put's glasses on.

One, .....two.....three....four....five.... :roll: ....sixxxxxx. :whistle: :oops:

Meh! :Doh:

Kin

TheCorfiot
24th August 2009, 21:27
@Kinny

Oh you just made my night.......... :drinkin:

PMSL :woot:

Best Wishes
TC :ROTFLOL2:

Kin Hell
24th August 2009, 21:29
@ TC