salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Some time ago, this fellow member (Cal) has got a card like this from this site. This thread has nothing to do with complaining or anything, purely technical! The card was sold as-is, so there's no question wether it worked or not. With that detail cleared, i'd like to know if any fellow members have any experience with such a card.
Suppose it's an ok condition, can anyone give any hints as to the setup of it?
There's only one (1) jumper for selecting between 000 and 030 mode of operation. He told me that this card is a real tight fit, estimating that it has been slightly modded on the 68000 socket. Probably to better fit on other Amigas? Dunno.
So, i have a few questions that might help our friend solve the mystery.
By the way, the manual a two page pdf is in German http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/Professional530.pdf
Anyone making something out of it i'd appreciate it!
Does the card require some sort of software installation for the 030 to be visible?
Is the extra RAM module mandatory for the card to work in 030 mode?
000 mode is operational by the way.
The 030 and fpu have been tested to be functional as chips. So is the oscillator. The card is plugged on an A500 rev 6A mobo. Tested with both a 1.3 Kickstart and a 2.1 version.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks (y)

Manual Quote: The memory on the optional ram card is not autoconfig but needs to be glued in startup-sequence. This to insure it does not has to be undeclared for incompatible programs.

It is quoted as optional through the manual. The fpu is autorecognised. There is comment that it is kick 2.0 compatible.

Nothing further to report within your questions.

Last edited:
@salaxi

<Does the card require some sort of software installation for the 030 to be visible?>
It should certainly not. The Amiga software is not designed to switch host CPUs at runtime.

<Is the extra RAM module mandatory for the card to work in 030 mode?>
No, it can still work with the Amiga's RAM accessed via the 68000 16-bit bus @ 7.xy MHz. In that respect, as far as the Amiga is concerned, the access scheme is identical to what you get with an 68000.

<000 mode is operational by the way.>
This is good news only to the extent that it lets you know the card has been well seated in the 68000 socket. But the 68000 mode has no difference from a directly plugged 68000, so you can't really infer anything about the functionality in 030 mode.

<The 030 and fpu have been tested to be functional as chips. So is the oscillator. The card is plugged on an A500 rev 6A mobo. Tested with both a 1.3 Kickstart and a 2.1 version.>
So this leaves you with PCB tracing problems, malfunctioning PAL chips, socketing problems etc. Give the board a careful visual inspection for any obvious signs of damage and remove/reseat all socketed chips. You may also try running the board without the FPU.

By the way, the manual doesn't really tell you anything you don't already know. Only worthy note is with KS 2.0 it can map its local RAM, if present, with the proper command outside of the Amiga's default 24-bit space
, so it can be well-behaved with Amigas which already have 8 MB of Fast RAM.

Good luck
Nikos

(By the way, looks like this board can be used with Indivision ECS without mechanically conflicting with it? Most all accelerators I've seen reach way up close to the Denise socket for that).

Hi,
you need a CPU with MMU support. You better remove the FPU and test again. Could you remove all socket chips and took a hires photo?

Best regards

FD

Back
Top Bottom