PDA

View Full Version : Closed Microdrive Cartridges (Speccy / QL)

TheCorfiot
14th June 2011, 20:11
Hello Forum friends.

Just picked up a gorgeous QL from Jomor58 and I'm looking for some Microdrive Carts.

Anyone have any they wish to get rid of for both the Spectrum & QL

Regards
TC :cool:

Allen1
14th June 2011, 22:14
Hi there TC,

you probably have tried this already but just in case, if you do a search on Fleabay using "Microdrive", there are some sinclair ones to be found amongst the other bits an bobs that appear (just 2 pages of stuff). One auction ends in just over 12 hours but there are others that ma be worth waiting for.

One of my mates had the spectrum drives years ago and they were a lot better than loading off a cassette :thumbsup:

z3spacial
14th June 2011, 22:18
I have some spare carts - you can have them for FREE (can manage 8 - but cant swear they will all work lol). Just pm me your address m8. Pay me when you see the price of the stamps... (Can't send till Saturday)

cheers

TheCorfiot
15th June 2011, 16:40
@z3

A most kind offer indeed my friend, I shall PM you my details, many thanks :thumbsup:

I have succesfully revived 2 cartridges today by transplanting chopped up pads from an old C90 cassette and applying a spot of superglue.

It's quite a procedure as you have to ensure you have removed all of the old pad & the awfull tar like residue it leaves behind, it's the sticky debris that jams the tape up in the cart once it gets loose..
Just use a light brush & a small scalpel to scrape it all away, the tape is easy looped up out of the way using a soft brush handle.
So far so good & my QL likes the carts giving me 223 Sectors which is not far off the max.

Thanks again z3 & I'm still on the look out for more so if anyone has any they want to get rid of or recycle then please send them on.

Regards
TC :thumbsup:

z3spacial
15th June 2011, 17:45
Got ya PM - will go on Saturday... I think most will work OK - if not all - I picked up a batch a while ago but haven't had much use since I got my DivIDE

TheCorfiot
20th June 2011, 13:27
@z3 Many thanks my friend, they arrived today & all 8 work fine :thumbsup:

Please let me know what I owe you for the postage mate & I'll get that off to you, in the meantime, I've left you some feedback.

Much appreciated
TC ;)

@thread, still open for anymore that maybe surplus to requirements, thx.

z3spacial
20th June 2011, 13:59
m8, as a one -off it's fine, think I can afford a few stamps...

cheers

Virge
26th June 2011, 21:49
Hi.

I have 16 microdrives formated and ok.
Includes a box to store your own microdrives 16
Had no intention of selling but ... :shhh:

Regards
Pedro

TheCorfiot
27th June 2011, 12:21
Hi.

I have 16 microdrives formated and ok.
Includes a box to store your own microdrives 16
Had no intention of selling but ... :shhh:

Regards
Pedro

Hello my friend, would you like to PM me with what you would like for these carts with P&P to the UK

Thx
TC :cool:

Allen1
28th June 2011, 12:04
Just out of interest, you do know that you can use a program on the PC to convert Tap and other files to WAV and MP3 so that you can load them onto a speccy via the ear/mic socket as you would with a tape. Using this method, you can store all of your games etc on an SD card or USB mp3 player etc and load them into the speccy via an MP3 player or even some mobile phones like the HTC Himalaya etc.

I was amazed when Alexh over at EAB mentioned this and the OTLA program which is free on the internet and it works brilliantly. I use the mobile phone as mentioned above, some players etc don't have enough output for loading so you would have to try a few models to get one that works OK. Definitely worth a go, I was going to go for a Divide until I heard about this option :)

Zetr0
28th June 2011, 13:37
@Allen1

I have used this method for some time, however there is a thrill and a buzz from using the original hardware.

With my 128k toastie + interface 1 and Microdrive I was grinning like a mad man just formatting the cassette cartridges for over 30 minutes!

with the combination of a multiface you can copy the memory contents of spectrum after loading from external input and the back it up to microdrive =D

Should get about 3 - 4 games per cassette cartridge =)

Allen1
28th June 2011, 14:45
@Allen1

I have used this method for some time, however there is a thrill and a buzz from using the original hardware.

With my 128k toastie + interface 1 and Microdrive I was grinning like a mad man just formatting the cassette cartridges for over 30 minutes!

with the combination of a multiface you can copy the memory contents of spectrum after loading from external input and the back it up to microdrive =D

Should get about 3 - 4 games per cassette cartridge =)

Mind you the +D interface and disk drive are great too :D:D:D
I still like the plus 3 and used to enjoy using the Lerm software for decoding various tape protection systems and finding the program code. Doing that allowed you to save the code from its memory location as normal code, then transfer it to tape ready to copy to the plus 3 floppy disk, those were the days and the amount of security used on tape loaders was often extreme but with the right software it was fun to dis-assemble and find the routines and addresses and length of the code etc.

Blimey, it must be about 16 to 20 years since I did stuff like that but it was so rewarding when it worked :thumbsup:

rkauer
28th June 2011, 23:13
Pff...

All tape protection routines fall on hearth when one uses an analogic copy (two cassette players).