PDA

View Full Version : Closed A4000 zorro ide or IDE fix

mjnurney
30th June 2011, 11:01
I need an IDE solution for an a4000 . Either zorro or IDE fix but it must have cd32 emulation or software to allow it..

I have to complete beneath a steel sky you see :-)

Cheers

Laudrup
30th June 2011, 11:56
I have one of these cards available: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/atbus2008

No ram on the board, its EUR 43,00 incl. shipping to you. Drop me a pm if you want this.

Zetr0
30th June 2011, 12:05
@MJN,

I am a little confused buddy,

The A4000 already has a buffered IDE port that (with the assitance of a couple diodes) will handle upto 4 IDE devices.

Aproximate speed will be about 2 -2.6MB pending your A4000 accellerator pull, from this you can run IDEFix software without any problems, infact the updated scsi.device will improve performance.

IDEFix provides one of the best CD32 emulators, however, perhaps the best CD32 emulator for the Amiga is the software that comes with the surf-squrriel interface, this can also be used with a little modification with the mountlists for the CDROM device.

Now, using a Zorro 2 Card on a Z3 bus will net you about 3.5MB a second max pull - again pending on your CPU's ability. I will say that this will also be dependent on the card itself.

Hope that lot helps.

mjnurney
30th June 2011, 12:15
Now that's interesting zetr0 my impession of the A4000 IDE was that it could not handle cd-rom drives?

I need to use 3 IDE devices , so the 4000 can handle this ok?

Why is there a idefix kit for the 4000 then?

Many thanks

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

If the A4000 can handle 3x IDE devices Then that's fine no additional hardware is required - excellent.

So what is the IDE fix software for? Do I need it ?

bazzaq
30th June 2011, 12:22
The 4000 only has 1 ide connector, you have to split it to get more than 2 devices.

using summat like this http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=599

the idefix software enables the extra port.

you can use a cdrom on the a4000 ide without this adapter. Easiest way is using idefix software though. I have found.

Zetr0
30th June 2011, 12:56
Well you either need a specific cable and or break out the Veroboard and 26awg wire or perhaps purchase the adapter that AmigaKit sells. It is pretty much all that in a can, from that all you would need is the IDEFix software.

I have found though that after installing IDEFix, if you addi it at startup it keeps crashing my machines, its possibly a conflict with setpatches / ROM updates + classic-workbench packs... but it works a treat without it beeing added to the startup sequence.

If you would like a hand installing it, hit me up on PM =)

mjnurney
30th June 2011, 13:18
Cheers zeets , I didn't know a 4 device IDE ribbon existed ? Ill have look in to this later ..Or is it simply 2 IDE cables connected together some how..

All good stuff :-)

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Does IDE fix still need to be registered?

davideo
30th June 2011, 13:28
Cheers zeets , I didn't know a 4 device IDE ribbon existed ? Ill have look in to this later ..Or is it simply 2 IDE cables connected together some how..

All good stuff :-)

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Does IDE fix still need to be registered?

I don't think a 4 device IDE cable exists. AFAIK you have to have hardware to allow 4 devices to be used - 2 on each ribbon.

And again AFAIK IDE fix has to be registered otherwise you get the continual nagging screens. There are ways around that though :D

Dave G :cool:

Zetr0
30th June 2011, 13:34
@Davideo

You can easily make a 4 way IDE cable for the A4000,

All you need a long 40pin IDE cable to start with (no bigger that 60cms), two more connectors and two diodes. its very easy to make.

A little soldering and heatshrinking and bam!... you have a 4 way IDE cabel... although its a little time consuming, with a skilled tech could make this in under 10 minutes.

The cable would function exactly the same way as the AmigaKit IDEFix for the 4000 works, since its essentially the same thing in hardware form.

theres no magic chips, just voltage Diodes. and wire.

davideo
30th June 2011, 13:36
@Zeets

Which just goes to prove that you can learn new things even at my age :oops:

Dave G :cool:

mjnurney
30th June 2011, 13:50
As I recall the IDE fix bit of kit is basically IDE headers on a board . I did briefly have one some time ago..

Zetr0
30th June 2011, 14:31
I live to learn somthing new everyday =)

sometimes, you wish you could unlearn that right away though... so I have reduced my youtoobin time since the last one.... :blink:

Anyway some simple facts

The A600/A1200 (Native) IDE interface
The natvie IDE interface is unbuffered while you can put multiple devices on it, you are likely to get cross-talk and data corruption with said devices.

If you want to use more than one IDE device I humbly suggest a 4 way Buffered IDE interface like the IDEFix97, IDEFix Express and or FastATA Mk3, although the latter is quite a powerfull little beastie (and finiky at times too)

Native IDE speed are from 1.1 - 2.2MB persec pending on device, accelerator card, in the case of the IDEFix-Express and Fast ATA Mk3, you can expect speeds above 4MB persecond - again pending accelerator adapter.

The A4000 (Native) IDE interface
The native IDE on the A4000 is actually buffered, it can handle upto 4 devices with a specific cable or adapter. (now making a schematic ... loading please wait.)

The natvie A4000 IDE can handle PIO 1 speeds upto 2.6MB persecond as a factory standard with a fast accelerator (see 040/060). I have seen some amazing stuff done by a crazy - awesome AmiBayer modify his A4000 upto PIO mode 2 giving you about 3.5MB a second on the native IDE.

anyway now drawing a quick schematic =)

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

@MJN

my friend, I may be able to knock a cable up for you if I have the diodes, I must check.

mjnurney
30th June 2011, 14:47
Thanks Keith,

I don't mind making one , I have a bag of diodes here but a diagram would be handy :-)

I have some IDE ribbons to I think , old type ones ...

Zetr0
30th June 2011, 18:31
@MJN

heres a cable schematic, it looks more complicated than it is, its only a few cuts and a couple of solders =)

http://s2.postimage.org/r1wuopt8g/A4000_4x_ide_cable.png (http://www.postimage.org/)

here is the net list

Motherboard LUN 0:0 LUN 0:1 LUN 1:0 LUN 1:1
IDE Header Pri Master Pri Slave Sec Master Sec Slave

1 1 & 38 1 & 38 1 & 38 1 & 38
2 - 27 2 : 27 2 : 27 2 : 27 2 : 27
28 28 28 NC NC
29 - 30 29 : 30 29 : 30 29 : 30 29 : 30
31 - 1N4148 31 31 -- --
31 - 1N4148 -- -- 31 31
32 - 33 32 : 33 32 : 33 32 : 33 32 : 33
34 34 34 NC NC
35 - 36 35 : 36 35 : 36 35 : 36 35 : 36
37 37 37 NC NC
38 NC NC 37 37
39 39 39 NC NC
40 40 40 40 40

You can get the original source by xs@xnet.it from here (http://aminet.net/docs/hard/4IDE.lha) (thank you www.aminet.net (http://www.aminet.net))

How to make the Cable

Step 1
Firstly ensure that you have a good length (50cms or so) of common 40 wire IDC cable (standard 28 AWG IDE cable), its easier to start with a standard 3 connector then add two more IDE headers.

Step 2
Once you have added the two extra Headers, you should now remove wire that you wont use. Now remove the following wire away from the Primary Slave and the Secondary Master

Remove wire(s) 39, 34 and 28.

while we are here we need to cut (but not remove) wire 31 from the Primary slave (we will need this in a bit)

Step 3
Now, from pin 38 of the IDE header cut the and attach this wire to any Pin 1

Step 4

Twist the leads of + end of both Diodes together (use a bit of solder here) leaving the negative ends free and independent

Step 5

Cut wire 31 between the IDE Header and the Primary Header - leaving a a fair amount of cable either side of the cut

Step 6

Solder the positive side of the (paired) diodes to wire 31 on the IDE Header side.

Step 7

Solder the remaining wire of 31 to one of the negative diode leads and the other negative Diode lead to wire 31 from the Secondary Master.

And thats it, you are done.

Recomendations

If you are going to do this I humbly suggest double checking the original source from xsnet thats linked above. I would also suggest good quality insulation tape, or better still some heat-shrink tubing.

There.... that should do it.

mjnurney
30th June 2011, 18:36
hi keith,

thanks , this will be a next week job i expect...

i have shrink tube :-)

many thanks, i'll let you know how i get on..

if you hear nothing the A4000 has beaten me in to a bloody pulp :-)

protek
30th June 2011, 19:22
Well you either need a specific cable and or break out the Veroboard and 26awg wire or perhaps purchase the adapter that AmigaKit sells. It is pretty much all that in a can, from that all you would need is the IDEFix software.

I have found though that after installing IDEFix, if you addi it at startup it keeps crashing my machines, its possibly a conflict with setpatches / ROM updates + classic-workbench packs... but it works a treat without it beeing added to the startup sequence.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I remember having weird behavior with m A4000, when I had IDEFix in my startup sequence. So it does work ok otherwise? I reckon there is some way to get it running automatically without having to put it in startup sequence.

Laudrup
3rd July 2011, 22:45
I have one of these 4 IDE adapters for an A4000.

Drop me a PM if you want this thing...

mjnurney
4th July 2011, 21:28
Thanks guys , I'm going to make the ribbon as suggested by Keith as I get time..

This can be closed now

Thanks all