Closed Atari 520ST 2MB upgrade (solderless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sputnik

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Barnsley, Yorkshire
£17 + P&P - Paypal Gift

Gengtech RAM+ HP 2MB Memory upgrade for Atari ST

This is for the earlier machines that don't take SIMMs - 520ST, 260ST, etc. Also should work with an STF/M as they are basically the same, however I've not done this msyelf.

It's an easy solderless upgrade, the process involves :

• Removal of the MMU & shifter chips (I will supply an IC/PLCC extrator for this purpose)
  • Connecting 2 x grounds to the printer port
  • Connecting jump lead to a 5v source (I used the power supply)

Total job takes less than 10 minutes

I've had this working in a 520ST for many years without a hitch, giving a total of 2.5Mb.

On the board, there are 16 empty 128k DRAM slots which mean you could upgrade it to 4MB if you can source the DRAMs.

Hi

Can you post pictures please?
If you also have a picture of it installed, that would be great :)

Hi if I get time tonight I will post a pic, it's not currently installed but can dig out an ST for this.

Hi,

Here's a pic of it not installed. I will have time at weekend to install it if you like.

Please note the yellowy colouring is harmless flux residue which is how it came from the factory. It could be cleaned off but doesn't seem much point as a) it doesn't affect operation and b) the memory upgrade is internal.

In the pic you can see the MMU unit, the shifter socket, the 2 ground points and the 5v jump lead (no solder required). Also, the 2 x 1MB unpopulated RAM banks.

atari.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom