Fried Prometheus

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
When I was helping to test Radeon cards in a Prometheus under OS4.1 I made the mistake of choosing a replacement cable (I couldn't find the proper one and I just wanted to get to work, patience grass hopper was overlooked :p ) that I thought was a good match to power the board but unfortunately it wasn't (even though it shared the flat side orientation of the original cable) I brought another from Amigakit so I could continue the tests and the Fried Board was placed to one side.

Just thought I'd ask your opinion about what you think happened during those moments of Fry-Ness!

The closest chip to the outside of the case got extremely hot infact I'm sure I burnt my hand on it but other than that there doesn't appear to be any sign of scoring or anything on this side. Flipping it over there is 3 areas where 3 and 3 and 6 small brown marks are in the tracks. I take it this is where the tracks absorbed the high voltage and burned out and they are all positioned very close to where the chip got hot but not in line with the points on the 4 sides of the actual chip.

If I am lucky it would be a case of soldering wires from the good part over to the other good part... right?

I'm thinking of taking it up to Anthony when he is back in NZ to do when he starts on my A4000 MBs, it'll be my surprise to hin ;) :D

anyway, any thoughts? (y)

One thing that is the most likely suspect is the voltage requirements of the cards. PCI and AGP had several versions and the voltage requirements varied with each type, e.g. 5v, 3v, etc.

In some cases, they fitted slots in the cards to prevent you from putting a wrong card into the wrong version slot, but I suspect that you have some sort of 'universal' adapter that is compatible with only one particular type. This has allowed too much voltage or even reverse voltage through the Prometheus board.

A quick trip to pinouts.ru to research which slot version you have on the Prometheus and a quick trace of the lines affected to the edge connector of the adapter might give you more of a clue as to what went South as you switched on.

aww crap.

If you look at this
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml

You will see that if the card have a jagg in pin 12-13 it is a 3v card
and if it has a jagg in pin 50-51 it is a 5v card.

I have the 5 volt version on my prometheus board i think :)

Looks like this,
Front ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||| Back
And by front i ment that the VGA connector will face that way when i put it in.

That's the one, and if I were a gambling man, that's where I'd put my money....

Back
Top Bottom