PDA

View Full Version : c64 keys

shem
4th March 2009, 23:14
Earlier yesterday I was cleaning some c64 keyboards
I left the key caps to dry and today I re assembled them :D

SkydivinGirl
5th March 2009, 15:29
Either the Retr0Bright works incredibly well or you're pulling a fast one on us. :wink:

Heather

Zetr0
5th March 2009, 17:15
@Shem

Lovin' the checkerd flag look!!!

shem
5th March 2009, 19:32
Well these were not yellowed so as I had to clean up a vic20 and a c64c
I did the usual trick of removing the key caps stripping the keyboard cleaning the key shafts cleaning thekeyboard pcb pcb etc
I always tend to clean 2 keyboards at onece one white and 1 brown that way you never mix the keys up which might be yellowed but this time i decided to mix things up
When I pack the machines up I will also fit a blue led and a reset switch

SkydivinGirl
5th March 2009, 19:44
I'd love to see the finished project. I have a VIC-20 and C128 that have no yellowing whatsoever. Very lucky finds for me.

Take care,

Heather

shem
5th March 2009, 20:36
@SkydivinGirl

So you have an immaculate c128 that is a rare find :D

I have 2 c128's and a few c128d the desktop versions with the built in 1571 I had to get those from Germany
I guess they are still not as rare as an amiga 1000

SkydivinGirl
5th March 2009, 22:11
@shem

LOL, I'm having the opposite problem. I have Amiga 1000s coming at me from everywhere but I can't find a 128D anywhere! Well, that's not totally true. I have found 128D computers on the auction sites but they usually go for more than $100 and I'm not willing to spend that much on one.

When you collect lots of different machines, you gotta set yourself some price limits. :)

Take care,

Heather

shem
5th March 2009, 23:40
@SkydivinGirl

Yep you have to set yourself limits otherwise you will have no money left
I suppose you could get a 128d from germany or something but I guess you want one for NTSC land
I better set myself some limits too as over 60 c64's is more than enough :D

quarkx
5th March 2009, 23:58
You two bring up an interesting point- Rarity of systems in areas. It has been mentioned a bit before on Amiga.org, but systems like the A600, 128D ETC are very scarce here in north America, but more common than dirt over in the UK. , Here, C64's, PETS, A1000's are all too common and are given away daily. If some enterprising people got together here and in Europe, and bought up a bunch of these machines, and exported them, There would be a wack of money too be made on both sides of the world.

SkydivinGirl
6th March 2009, 14:57
@shem

Unfortunately, it is still difficult to use PAL based hardware here in the USA so I am kind of stuck trying to find an NTSC 128D. I recently bought an A1200 from someone here in the states that is PAL but it can be put into NTSC mode easy enough. I'm pretty sure all the new display technologies are worldwide standards, aren't they?

@quarkx

I'm sure people would love for someone to import a ton of equipment between the two countries but I can see a few problems with that scenario. First, the video problems I mentioned above. Second, the shipping would be expensive unless you were doing some huge shipment on a boat. Third, the people most likely to follow through on shipping all this equipment would probably do it to cash in on the rarity of the hardware in the other country. I'm sure there are people who would do this to help out the collecting community but they are few and far between.

*sigh*

Heather

Harrison
6th March 2009, 16:36
I'm pretty sure all the new display technologies are worldwide standards, aren't they?

Actually they are not! As usual the US has a slightly different standard for HDTV compared to the rest of the world. They just don't like to accept they are not the centre of the world.

The 720p and 1080p resolutions are the same, but the framerates are different. European HDTVs can display both, but I'm not sure if US HDTVs can.

SkydivinGirl
6th March 2009, 18:53
They just don't like to accept they are not the centre of the world.

We're NOT?!?!? :shock: (J/K)

Why can't our video just get along? :wink:

Heather

shem
6th May 2009, 21:37
Well I have finally completed the vic 20 and the c64's
here are some pics
Yes it took me sometime but it's done at last

The vic 20 had a reset button fitted so I decided to fit one into the c64 also
Also someone has fitted some heatsinks onto the vic20's roms cpu and 6522's

The reset buttons are both fitted onto the side plates near the joy ports
Also I have changed the rather old and dimm LED's to some brighter ones
Just finished upgrading a c16 to 64K internally I know that ram upgrades are available which will plug into the cart port but I want my cart port free as eventually I will be making a sid card for the c16 but first I will do one for the vic20

Iwill take some picsof the c16 when I clean the case and put it back together again :D

SkydivinGirl
6th May 2009, 22:22
Nicely done!

:thumbsup2:

Heather

shem
6th May 2009, 22:33
@SkydivinGirl
well it took me long enough :D

I might have to put my collection on a diet and sell some stuff soon

Shoonay
6th May 2009, 23:10