PDA

View Full Version : Sold A1000 NTSC For TAJMASTER

quarkx
31st July 2011, 19:09
Ok, today, after all the incoming and outgoing Amiga Stuff, I plan to start to tackle my A1000 for sale for $210 USD including shipping. In another thread Tajmaster said he really wanted it, so here is the "Offical" thread for him to declare interest.
Be warned, again over the next week or 2 I will be posting a ton of photos.:wooha:

Tajmaster
31st July 2011, 19:13
Mine mine MINE!!!!!!!! :D I look forward to the pics Glen :thumbsup:

:bowdown:

quarkx
1st August 2011, 01:53
As, promised,
The first of the many pictures for Taj and all the Pr0n junkies.
First, I just want to mention this is no lie (not trying to over sell this etc) out of the dozen or so units, this happens to be almost a mint example of a A1K! Buy far, the best INTERNALS I have ever seen In a 1K unit I have seen some nice cases, but the insides are usually corroded. Its almost a shame to sell this baby, and I will have to be extra careful.

First, I am taking these pictures on my kitchen counter as that probably has the best light for my :censored:iPhone camera (3G people not even a 3GS!). The case it self is not yellowed, but a bit dirty, as one would expect that after 25 years on a shelf in the basement. I removed the front expansion bay cover expecting to find, what I always find, a corroded expansion (Not rust, but black corrosion all over the nice shiny surface), but wait! This one was nice and shiny.. interesting...., I flipped the unit over to remove the 5 bottom screws, and carefully popped the top shell off. If you are not careful here, you can break the tiny little plastic hooks on each side. not a big issue as the screws hold everything in place, but details.
You probably can't make it out in the photos, but all the signatures of the Amiga team is there, as you would expect. (one day, I have an extra top, and I am gonna cut the sides off and frame it).
But the biggest shock was the outer RF shell, top of the power supply and top of the floppy. Absolutely NO CORROSION, just a small thin layer of dust. It so shiny you can see yourself in it!
More next response..

quarkx
1st August 2011, 02:20
Like I said, to see the tops of the exposed units this free of the corrosion was indeed a good sign. Before I went any further, I wanted to snap pictures of the side of the unit and the back. You can see the expansion port cover is there (this always seems to get lost or missing in the units I have seen) and the back.
I removed the dozen or so shield screws and found what I thought would be there, a Spirit 1000 inboard. According to the boot up last week, the battery has long given up the ghost. I am going to see if I can track another Dallas Clock "TimeKeeper" Chip down, but chances are, I am going to just have to live without it or do a radical mod to open it up and stick a new battery inside (or outside as the mods show).
The CPU itself is just a plain old MC86000P8 Probably the original that came with this unit (some Early ones had the Ceramic). The original owner soldered the leads from the Spirit, so I had to carefully cut them with side cutters. I usually just would have swapped out daughter boards, But to be perfect honest and up front, I have NOT had any luck reseating Daughter board in a 1K properly! and I darn well am not going to hope for the best here.
All the cables are soft and flexible, not hard and brittle with age! it looks like I opened one back in 1989.

The insides are going to have to be lightly dusted with kid gloves, the RF shield and stuff will have to just be a dry wipe so I don't cause any corrosion.
Wow, this is going to be a challenge.

quarkx
1st August 2011, 03:33
Now this A1K is my "Virgin" unit. I got it last year from the orginal owner , with all the boxes and such. He said, it had never been opened and it was true, I could feel and here the crack of the screws being released for the first time from the factory, that and the fact, the RF shield has 2 little tabs that are very hard to reach without long needle nose plyers and nobody puts those dabs back in place.
As you can see, my unit has a A1300 Genlock on it. Most people have never seen a 1300, or how it was made to slide under the back of the unit. The sad thing, is that I have never really used it other than to put a second TV monitor :wooha: but it looks cool.

My internals had a bit of corrosion on it and the floppy drive had a bit of rust, but there was no dust. I took out the floppy which can be a PITA, to remove the CPU as my Chip puller is not big enough to handle this chip. Me removing 68000's is not pretty, and has always resulted in a few bent pins, nothing ever drastic, but when those things "give" you are usually pulling and something gets bent. I won't show that here, better off not seeing the results before i fix it- LOL.

quarkx
1st August 2011, 04:36
So back to the Sale unit - I think I can safely call it Taj's. We will put my unit away for now, because, frankly for all intensive purposes we are done with it. I am not, but it gets put on the back burner for now.

I installed the CPU in Taj's unit with little carnage. I did bend a pin, but I straightened it and it looks like no visual issues.
I then begun dusting the motherboard. You know you cant use a cloth or paper towel, because it would get chewed up so quickly from the sharp edges. I like to use a nylon brush I picked up from the dollar store. It actually does a good job getting into and between components, it's just a little time consuming when you are as picky as me, I just kills me I wont go under the daugherboard though.
I took the lid off the Video chips and clean in there also.
Enough for tonight though, tomorrow I will get to the actual scrub down of the case.

tokyoracer
1st August 2011, 09:23
That's one lucky owner. I would kill for a well sorted A1000 like that, congrats Taj. :)

rkauer
1st August 2011, 20:11
@Glen: the Dallas chip can be purchased new and the replacement is very easy.

Simply replacing the internal battery for an external unit will not work, as the chip is programmed to not recognize a replacement battery.

Also the part is cheap! :)

quarkx
1st August 2011, 21:01
@Glen: the Dallas chip can be purchased new and the replacement is very easy.

Simply replacing the internal battery for an external unit will not work, as the chip is programmed to not recognize a replacement battery.

Also the part is cheap! :)

Cool, and thanks,
There was a mod on the.org I think where people had taken a dremal and actually exposed the battery contacts in it and ran 2 wires out to another battery, but if I can source one out, I would rather replace the whole unit (with a socket) than hack the old one.
do you know what the pat number is and where? trying to google but no luck yet

jvdbossc
1st August 2011, 21:52
Have a look if it is the same part number to start with. Rogerio - Rkauer gave this part number to me for a pc, it still works..
'

Again I have no idea for the A1000 what part number to start with so please check.

Google was not my friend on this topic..

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=14461

Tajmaster
1st August 2011, 22:01
That's one lucky owner. I would kill for a well sorted A1000 like that, congrats Taj. :)

Thanks Chris :) Im really happy with the A1000 and Glen seems to take a great deal of care and time in cleaning his stuff up and making sure all is well with his sales, so I know Im going to get good stuff from him :)

quarkx
1st August 2011, 22:17
Well first I did a search for MK48TO2B-25 which is the part number (I persumed it was Dallas, but it is indeed Mosteck.
Found the following information:

B) Battery Clocks - MK48TO2B-xx

Some VMEbus CPU boards contain a clock IC with an integral battery such as the MOSTEK MK48TO2B-25. The battery in this device is supposed to last for five years, then the entire chip must be replaced. It seems the manufacturers expected these boards to become obsolete when they became 5 years old.

The MK48TO2B-25 is being discontinued and has been replaced by the M48TO2-200PC1. Mauser Electronics <(800) 346-6873 or (817)483- 4422> nor Arrow have any MK48Ts and the M48Ts have a delivery time of 8 to 14 weeks. MOSTEK is apparently now owned by SGS-Thompson who will be replacing the MK48TO2B with a 2 piece part called the "SnapHat". The IC proper and the battery/crystal are replaced separately. This information is provided by Gerry Belanger and Dennis Johnson.

Dallas Semiconductor makes the Timekeeper series of clock chips. Their US phone number is (214) 450-0448 or (800) 336-6933.

The Dallas DS1642 may replace the Mostek MK48TO2B-25. The DS1642 is available in speeds of 120 or 150 nsec. It is available directly from Dallas Semiconductor for about US$17 plus shipping with a delivery time of 4 to 6 weeks. Dallas credit card orders for the USA - (800) 336-6933. Dallas suggests that Newark Electronics may have this item in stock. (800) 463-9275 CANADA number only.(?)

now there was only 3 listings on ebay for Dallas DS1642, but whats the speed?
Could not find a 24 pin "SnapHat" (found 28 pin)
Nothing came up under M48TO2-200PC1
It is so frustrating trying to google IC's, there has to be a better way

maybe we should move this to another thread

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Thanks Chris :) Im really happy with the A1000 and Glen seems to take a great deal of care and time in cleaning his stuff up and making sure all is well with his sales, so I know Im going to get good stuff from him :)

Hee Hee wait till I drop a bombshell after work tonight :lol:
Don't worry though, its not bad, it just works out that I put a bit more work into this than I really need to. I was up all night going over it, when I came to an Eureka moment.
:whistle:

Tajmaster
1st August 2011, 22:22

Hee Hee wait till I drop a bombshell after work tonight :lol:
Don't worry though, its not bad, it just works out that I put a bit more work into this than I really need to. I was up all night going over it, when I came to an Eureka moment.
:whistle:

:help: :lol:

rkauer
2nd August 2011, 03:27
Glen, the chip is a CMOS 2K x 8 TIMEKEEPER SRAM, and its name is not MK48TO2B-25, but MK48T02B-25 (zero instead of "O"), that's why you didn't found any information.

The original chip is rated @ 250ns, so any faster part will work.

quarkx
2nd August 2011, 05:18
Glen, the chip is a CMOS 2K x 8 TIMEKEEPER SRAM, and its name is not MK48TO2B-25, but MK48T02B-25 (zero instead of "O"), that's why you didn't found any information.

The original chip is rated @ 250ns, so any faster part will work.

Thanks rkauer, I will hunt around the 1 us seller of the chip wants $13 for the chip (100 ns)but $15 to ship it to Canada, For something that can be shipped in a bubble wrap envelope in a tube, thats just down right criminal!

I will be home in about an hour to update with pictures and such from today's work, stay tuned...:blink:

quarkx
2nd August 2011, 07:24
On with the Saga. I know I like to cause a bit of drama every once and a blue moon.
I really was not comfortable leaving a quarter inch of dust and debris under the daughter board, after all if you are going to do something do it right. I could just take the daughterboard off and hope for the best, but then it hit me, I will just swap my dust free "Virgin" motherboard and daughterboard for the other one. This way I will know exactly where the solder the leads back to and Taj doesn't have to worry about a thing. I should have thought about this in the first place and save a bunch of time and disconnecting the Spirit board, but oh, well, each machine is a learning experience.

So tonight at work, I did the nasty and got to my old Nemesis, the keyboard. At first it looked like this was going to be a breeze for the outer shell just looked a bit dirty, but once inside, that was a whole different story. OH MY GOD! THE HAIR! This must have been owned by someone with a pet or a cousin IT! I literally had to comb the hair out at first and then proceed to try to clean it. Hair was everywhere! and it stunk bad too! Good thing the cleaner I use has a bit of deodorizer in it.:o
2 Noteworthy things:
I the base plate (?) is black metal, not plastic like on the other Amiga Keyboards, this one was covered with surface rust. I did the best I could to scrub it off, but without stripping it right down, sandblasting all the paint off, then re-paining it with a rust proof paint, this is the most I can do.
2 the plastic slider under the "J" key did crack and break a bit. I was going to replace it, but when I put the keycap back on, it held it with no issue. I even turned the keyboard upside down and tried to shake the "J" key off, and it held on! I don't think it will need a replacement, but I don't even know if Taj is going to even keep this North American Keyboard, or replace the inside with a UK one.
I then finished by shrink wrapping it so no dirt can get to it before shipping.
One last thing. Under the Keyboard is 4 rubber feet. 2 were missing and the last 2 fell off during scrub down, I will include those and 4 self ahdheasive felt pads to replace the rubber feet in the little bag with the cords and such.

quarkx
2nd August 2011, 08:18
Opps, I actually managed to over tax my sempron processor and crash my machine! that will learn me not to open photoshop, handbreak, i tunes 20 tabs in chrome, IE 8 and explorer all at once.:p
Now back to the boring photos

Tajmaster
2nd August 2011, 08:18
WOW youre doing a sterling job Glen! :bowdown:

I dont actually have an A1000 keyboard so Ill definitely be using the one I get with it :)

quarkx
2nd August 2011, 08:21
Last 2 for tonight I swear:tumbleweed:

quarkx
2nd August 2011, 08:23
WOW youre doing a sterling job Glen! :bowdown:

I dont actually have an A1000 keyboard so Ill definitely be using the one I get with it :)

Thanks, I just hope you actually like it when you see it in person :p

Tajmaster
2nd August 2011, 09:32
Well it certainly looks like i will! :D

quarkx
3rd August 2011, 07:06
Here is today's update:
I do have this plan to be done and ready to ship on Saturday.
Today was a bit slow, as I took a nasty fall on the way to the post office this afternoon. luckily this time I just scraped my left knee and ripped open my left hand, but i think i sprained my left arm as it is sore. When I got to the post office, I looked a mess (I was in shorts) and blood was dripping down my leg. My hand was I bloodly as I handed the package with the bridge card in it to the gall behind the counter. She asked if I was ok, I told her I don't remember hitting my head, and that I really do put my blood, sweat and tears into my Amiga's. As she was looking a the bit of blood on the box :lol:
Now, today at work, I got after the mouse. even scrubbed down the cable and ball. I learned today that glass cleaner kills on open wounds.

quarkx
3rd August 2011, 07:10
last batch for tonight then off to bed!

Tajmaster
3rd August 2011, 08:26
Woa Glen go easy mate :lol: I dont want blood on the A1k ;) :lol:

There is no need to rush :) Im not in any hurry to get this in the next few weeks or anything like that so take your time and certainly don't injure yourself! :bowdown:

quarkx
3rd August 2011, 15:26
:lol:
No blood or tears yet, but some sweat!
Knee is swollen this morning, and arm is sore, but this 40 year old chassis seems to keep rolling on despite everything.

Tajmaster
3rd August 2011, 16:18
:lol:

quarkx
4th August 2011, 07:01
Today's episode.
Not too much was done today, I got called in to work for a double shift early this morning, so I grabbed the Back and Front to clean at work. Cleaned both backs and sealed them in plastic until they are needed, but not shrink wrapped.:whistle:

quarkx
4th August 2011, 07:04
last batch then off to bed

quarkx
5th August 2011, 07:04
Tonight's Saga will be postponed. I was working on ChrisUnionNJ's AE HD floppy for floppy pr0n see that thread.

quarkx
8th August 2011, 05:54
Ok guys, this is the second last bunch of photos for Taj's unit.
I did a lot of packaging and such today, as I have a bunch of shipping for tomorrow, but I wanted to get Taj's A1K done today. Hopefully I can get everything ready for it to be shipped this week, but I need to get another big haul of packing Peanuts from my head office at work, As I was really scrambling for packing material today I tell you. Sunday is just not the day to go and try to hunt down shipping material, but I digress.
Photos are pretty much self explanatory, and the shielding on the 1K is enough to withstand a nuclear bomb, but if you don't put the shield back in, the strength of the case is pretty much gone, as the plastic shell is basically just for show.
I have one last task tomorrow, and that is to fire up the beast and make sure everything is good to go. (last of the photos- I swear (on this beast HEE HEE!)

quarkx
8th August 2011, 05:59
more of the end:p

Kyle
8th August 2011, 06:29
Nice A1000 :)

I can't say the same thing about your camera :D

quarkx
8th August 2011, 06:34

yep, i know, Very crap iPhone 3G (not even 3 GS) its been through heck and back before I even Got it, but its much better than my Treo was for Photos. It was a second owner hand me down, I am third owner of it, but it was free, so I can't gripe all that much

ChrisUnionNJ
8th August 2011, 07:11

yep, i know, Very crap iPhone 3G (not even 3 GS) its been through heck and back before I even Got it, but its much better than my Treo was for Photos. It was a second owner hand me down, I am third owner of it, but it was free, so I can't gripe all that much

I use a Droid X I found at work no body claimed it in three month's it was
mine takes nice pic's.

:coffee:

quarkx
8th August 2011, 10:02

I use a Droid X I found at work no body claimed it in three month's it was
mine takes nice pic's.

:coffee:
Those Droid X' s sure looked nice, I remember drooling over them at Engadget! I would never actually buy an apple product, but a buddy of mine is trying oh so hard to convert me. Out of sheer spite, my next phone will be a Window phone7 or 8. Probably a new Nokia.

quarkx
9th August 2011, 06:59
Some Weird news to report tonight, After an injury free trip to the post office today (I had the other A3000D to ship) I got to hooking up the A1K to check if everything was OK. It got to the kickstart screen and thats it. I tried half a dozen Kick Start disks Including the ones I used 2 weeks ago and the drive is spinning, the lights are coming on and the screen goes white for a moment, but then back to the kick Start screen. Tomorrow, I will tear it apart again. Hopefully its just a loose cable (or not seated properly) I did try cleaning the drive heads, but no go. Luckily I have a few more a1k floppies kicking around, so we should get it licked.

quarkx
9th August 2011, 19:35
Finally, she's ready for Taj!
I swapped out the floppy drive, and she booted right away! The pictures tell the story, but I did play Bubble Bobble and ran my system diagnostic tester on it to be sure. I don't want any issues when Taj gets it, other than shipping issues that could arise out of my control.

So Taj, When You are ready, Paypal Payment, but please DO NOT send as gift, as I can't immediately pay for shipping right from Paypal and print off shipping label. Canada Post actually gives a bit of a shipping break through Paypal (evens out though with PayPal fees though)

chiark
12th August 2011, 10:18
excellent! I'm hoping to take taj's old case off him with a view to fixing it up, so this is a win/win/win all around :D

quarkx
12th August 2011, 17:01
excellent! I'm hoping to take taj's old case off him with a view to fixing it up, so this is a win/win/win all around :D

Wow that is great news, in a round about way, everything kind of works out (Just took a few months more)!:thumbsup:

chiark
12th August 2011, 17:04
indeed!

Just a thouht - you haven't got another case you can put in with the package have you :D :D :D

quarkx
12th August 2011, 17:24
:dry:Honestly, the case I was going to sell you is still boxed up and ready to be shipped and Taj's is already boxed up and ready to go, but I don't honestly think I could fit 2 cases into one box, because the box sizes are just not big enough (that and adequate packing material) :lol:
In a perfect world, I could get everything ready to ship beforehand, that way when a sale comes, its just a mater of printing off the postage label and off it goes.
I just have a b**ch of a time finding the right size boxes for the Zorro cards. Usually, they are way to big, and adds to postage cost. If I was rich and had my own shop, I would get a box manufacture to custom make at least 1000 for me.

chiark
15th August 2011, 11:27
:D Ah well... One day we'll find a way of making it work :D

Tajmaster
18th August 2011, 20:08
Payment sent today as agreed :thumbsup:

quarkx
18th August 2011, 20:42
Payment recieved, will ship first thing in the morning :lol:

quarkx
19th August 2011, 17:30
Yo!
Mix Master Taj,
Your Amiga has been Shipeed out just now:bounceBoingBall:

Tajmaster
19th August 2011, 17:41
:bowdown:

quarkx
19th August 2011, 17:51
Yep, the old gal at the Post Office almost fell over when she saw where it was going and how much you paid for shipping.:lol:

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Mod's can change this thread to "sold" please. I still have not figured out how to do that.:roll:

Tajmaster
19th August 2011, 19:47
Marked as "sold" :thumbsup:

Tajmaster
8th September 2011, 13:54
Got this on Monday, havent had a chance to even open the box yet but feedback has been left.

Glen, I thank you SO MUCH for your effort, its very much appreciated :thumbsup: