PDA

View Full Version : Converting NTSC A1000 to UK A1000

SJBUK
11th March 2009, 12:48
I'm in the process of buying a US A1000 which I intend to use with a step-down transformer and TFT screen via some sort of scaler/scandoubler.

Over time, though, I'd like to convert it to a UK PAL machine just for the hell of it. I know I'll need a UK PSU and an 8371 Agnus and probably have to change the crystal. I've had a google about but not come across anyone trying it before. Anyone here got any opinions?

Steve

Harrison
11th March 2009, 17:46
I've not heard of anyone converting an Amiga from NTSC to PAL before. Is that the only requirement to convert it? I would have thought there was more to it than that. Obviously you know that if you do manage to convert it, the CPU will be slower?

Justin
11th March 2009, 17:52
50 Hz PAL and 60 Hz NTSC TV output by default versions available

* 50/60Hz mode switchable by software, although switching a PAL Amiga to NTSC mode produces a 60Hz PAL display, and vice versa (this would usually suffice for software relying on a particular format)

tbh i would have thought buying a uk A1000 would be easy and not too expensive, they don't seem to go for much money at the moment.

cheers, JuvUK

Zetr0
11th March 2009, 20:45
SJBUK

by far the easiest method would be to use a PAL A520 from the Video port :) job done no need to do anything else.

although you could replace

the Agnus to 8371 PAL,
the 3.58 colour ouput clock to 4.43

that would do it, I will hit up the specs later :)

rkauer
11th March 2009, 22:04
I think you also need to modify a pair of traces on Agnus (need swapping 8361 to 8367) and on the video encoder, IIRC.

I think Daphne (pre-Denise) don't need changing.

SJBUK
11th March 2009, 22:13
@Harrison
Aye, I know i may be tad slower but it shouldn't matter for my purposes.

@JuvUK
I've not seen a UK A1000 going for a long time, one of the reasons I had a hunt around the other day and, luckily, found this forum. I've seen a couple on eBay over the last year or so but they've gone for silly prices. I may just have been unlucky and misssed some bargains.

@rkauer Zetr0
Cheers guys, the more info I can get the better :-)

Might be nice, just for once, if I can do something few others have!