PDA

View Full Version : Sold Usable Amiga 3000 disk drive eject button replacements

FastRobPlus
10th August 2011, 03:04
I've gotten tired of trying to locate good condition wedge-shaped Amiga 3000 disk drive eject buttons, so I've decided try making a reproduction of them:

http://www.thebitplanes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/a3keject.jpg
These are made using 3D printing by Shapeways and I have uploaded their mesh so that anyone can have shapeways run off any number of copies. To make them, go to: http://shpws.me/2UgJ (http://shpws.me/2UgJ)
and select the material you want them printed in. Shapeways will calculate the price and let you order them. I have them listed as "no markup to the creator" which means I don't profit from them and they cost only 3-4 dollars each for Shapeways to produce.

There are some issues however:
The material I've been printing them in is "White w/ strong and flexible" and this material is somewhat porous. The resulting button has a rough feel. It's also stark white. I'd appreciate any input on a paint to use to give them a stock look.
The minimum order cost for shapeways is US $25 (dunno the European cost) so you have to order a lot of buttons, or a single button and some other stuff. If there is interest, I'm thinking of doing a bulk buy.
The version in the picture above is the first draft. The one on shapeways now is slightly wider and has a flange on two sides to allow it to be glued to most disk drive mechanisms. It does not have the attachment pins of the normal button, as that would make it compatible with only one drive mech. The back of the button is flat.

Next steps:
Find a good enamel paint for the button.
Print the new version and test fit to as many drive mechanisms as I can (FB, FZ, and others)

rkauer
10th August 2011, 05:36
Interested in a pair if a bulk buy will occur. :nod:

salaxi54
10th August 2011, 08:08
That's a nice action you got there dude! If you decide in bulk buy, count me in for at least 4 pieces! Awesome stuff :thumbsup:

FastRobPlus
10th August 2011, 17:48
I made one more revision to the model last night. Hopefully, the model up on shapeways now is now final. It looks like they can do the model in their white strong/flexible polished nylon, which should turn out a good, white plastic part.

I'm expecting a $25 voucher from shapeways next week so I'll use that to print a run of buttons. It'll probably be about another week from there to receive them.

quarkx
10th August 2011, 19:22
Fantastic :thumbsup:
Might I suggest also the little drive bay cover for the A3000D next. I always seem to find units with a single drive, but the cover for the second drive had vanished years ago.
Just a thought, in the mean time, these look much better than the A2000 buttons sticking out of an A3000 case.

Bokassa
10th August 2011, 19:57
I want 4pcs also...

jvdbossc
10th August 2011, 21:15
I think this deserves a big :thumbsup: I do have a glued button so, no need..I might pick up a few for spares and future usage if group buy turns out good deal.

It would be stupid to let it go, and have wooden replacements in a few years...

palmix
30th August 2011, 11:48
I would buy some pieces too to sleep soundly for the rest of my life

SpeedGeek
30th August 2011, 14:34
Well, I managed to secure mine with a small threaded screw in the back but it would be nice to have a couple of spares on hand. Plastic does become brittle with age and is more likely to crack. Most types of glue just don't work on this kind of plastic either. So please keep us updated on this. Thanks! :thumbsup:

FastRobPlus
1st September 2011, 05:59
Thanks for reminding me. I'm placing an order now for several buttons. I expect I'll have them in about 10 days.

I'll test fit them when they arrive (I've made them about .5m thicker to fill the space better)

Kremlar
12th December 2011, 14:14
Hi -

Trying to restore an old Amiga 3000 and a drive eject button is one of the things I'm looking for. Found this thread and wondering how it all worked out. I see the buttons on safeway for sale.

How did these work out? Anyone have a couple for sale?

Thanks!

Mohican
12th December 2011, 14:22
I'm interested in 4 pieces too, of course if possible.

Kremlar
2nd January 2012, 11:32
I ordered a few to check out. Will report back.

Kremlar
25th January 2012, 13:42
Got a few in. They look and fit nice, used some super glue to get initial placement then a hot glue gun to hold in place. Seems sturdy and undetectable from the outside.

The texture is rough but no big deal to me. Spray painted it and I think it looks fine!

Thanks so much to the OP for doing this!

Justin
25th January 2012, 13:52
Got a few in. They look and fit nice, used some super glue to get initial placement then a hot glue gun to hold in place. Seems sturdy and undetectable from the outside.

The texture is rough but no big deal to me. Spray painted it and I think it looks fine!

Thanks so much to the OP for doing this!

any chance of some pics of the fitting, painting and finished results?

thanks, Justin

Kremlar
26th January 2012, 22:50
Hi -

Sorry for the delay. Note I did not have spray paint to match the 3000 front, but I had some that matched the power button. So, I figured "what the heck I'll give it a try - if I don't like it, I have 2 extra buttons I ordered from Safeway."

I do like how it looks, but it doesn't matter because one of my cats stole the bag containing the other 2 Safeway buttons. Who the heck knows where they put it. I hate my cats. :)

Here is a pic inside the case:

http://www.techav.com/misc/amiga3000/drive_button.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished product:

http://www.techav.com/misc/amiga3000/finished.jpg

rkauer
20th August 2012, 23:37
Still interested in a couple!

FastRobPlus
21st August 2012, 00:09
I have 4 pairs of 2 buttons printed and collecting dust. I could sell them at $7/pair shipped to anywhere ($7 if paypal is sent as a gift, or $8 if regular paypal)

This is basicly just what I paid to make them. But I'll make you guys a deal - if I sell all 4 pairs, I'll mail them out cheaply as possible and use any profit to try and get some more printed. I never really finalized on a printed material or a paint, and this might give me the kick in the pants to try doing that.

Also - one word of warning - those of you who have dealt with me in the past know that I try to mail within 1 day, but my wife's car was hit last week and we're down to one car while her's gets fixed, meaning I might not be able to mail anything until the weekend.

*edit*
I also want to let everyone know - the button is still available for printing directly from Shapeways. The source file is freeware (or whatever the equivalent for 3D printing is) You can print it on your own in any meterial you'd like to try. I know a few users have done this already.

rkauer
21st August 2012, 00:52
I'll byte! Paypal address, good sir?

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Payment sent.

FastRobPlus
21st August 2012, 05:28
Confirmed payment received from Rkauer. My elaborate trap to find out where he lives and steal his stuff has been sprung.

*edit*
Crap. He lives in Brazil - I guess I could have glanced over to where says "region". Ah well.

I'll be shipping this out over the weekend.

There are still 3 sets left.

TjLaZer
21st August 2012, 05:46
Got pics of them?

qq1975b
21st August 2012, 06:16
Hi,
Is any left? If yes, I am interested in 2.

Thank you.

FastRobPlus
21st August 2012, 23:06
Payment received from qq1975b.

And recounting - I only have 2 buttons (one set) left. I thought I had 4 buttons, but I just realized I gave some away with an A3k earlier this month.

Hjm123
23rd August 2012, 04:50
Interested in 2 of them

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

palmix
26th August 2012, 01:06
Interested in 2 pieces if available
Thank you

FastRobPlus
27th August 2012, 23:01
Update:

Shipped out to Hjm123
Shipped out to rkauer
Shipped out to qq1975b

Sorry - tried to send out on Saturday, but they had new folks working at the post office who tried to get me to mail in an odd way and fill out a bunch of extra customs forms.
I just waited until this morning so I could deal with the veteran post office crew.

- All of the buttons are now sold.

Anybody who still wanted one or reads this thread in the future and wants one please be aware - these were rough beta buttons. Based on feedback from those who have these, I'll try to revise them and make them better. The latest version will always be available for printing from Shapeways.com (just search Amiga) and you can print yourself as many as you want, in many different materials.

If I make a significant upgrade to them, I'll print out a new batch and update the thread.

qq1975b
3rd September 2012, 21:05
Items received. Feedback on the way.

TjLaZer
5th September 2012, 20:30
Got close pics of the buttons? Curious to see them!

FastRobPlus
5th September 2012, 21:05
They are nearly identical to the ones at the top of thie thread. The flange on the back has been widened a bit to be stable against the drive when glued on.
You can see the 3D model here (http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=amiga)
Now that I fell into an original intact 3000 button (the one I had originally was snapped off where it connected to the drive) I'd like to make an exact copy of the 3000 button, complete with the actual mounting tab/pin. This seems to be beyond the abilities of my freeware copy of SketchUp.
I looked at Blender, but it's a bit of overkill. And I no longer have Lightwave for the Amiga or PC.
Are there any recommendations for a cheap and easy CAD/3D program that could be used to design a simple part like this?

Got close pics of the buttons? Curious to see them!

Akiko80
12th September 2012, 00:00
I'm interested in 2 if still available. Thanks

rkauer
12th September 2012, 00:05
As far as I know, all buttons in this thread are spoken for.

The seller might do another batch, but then I think he must create a second thread for those.

rkauer
19th September 2012, 06:55
Am I the last buyer to receive the buttons?

My units came today, so it's feedback time. :)

Time to close the thread?

FastRobPlus
21st September 2012, 18:04
Am I the last buyer to receive the buttons?

My units came today, so it's feedback time. :)

Time to close the thread?

I've left feedback for everybody now. It can be closed.