PDA

View Full Version : Sold Unusual - "ProjectXG" external MIDI soundcard

robinsonb5
17th August 2011, 23:45
For sale I have my old DB50XG WaveBlaster card, in an external box with Amiga cables.

This was a DIY project with CU Amiga magazine some years back, but mine doesn't quite follow their pattern.

Standard features for the project were:
* Takes power from the disk-drive and serial ports
* Has audio-in for Amiga audio and a potentiometer for adjusting the mix level between Amiga and MIDI audio.
* Line level out. (Don't try and run headphones from it directly!)
* Reset button, which has to be pushed after power-on before the card will make any sound.

Customisations I added:
* DB9 RS232 serial passthrough for connecting a modem, with a switch on the serial plug to select between the two functions.
* MIDI in socket, so that I could use a MIDI keyboard to enter notes in sequencing software. (This isn't MIDI-compliant, and doesn't opto-isolate the external keyboard the way it should. It worked OK on the two keyboards I tried with it, though.)
* The original project specified a project box that was slightly too small. Their fix for this was to suggest snapping the corners off the board! I found instead that it quite happily sits diagonally across the box.

Labelled image attached showing the various parts of this hydra-headed monstrosity.

A few demos of the kind of sounds this thing can make can be found here:
http://npandd.co.uk/XGDemos/

Asking 40 + carriage, but open to offers.

VidChick
18th August 2011, 01:13
So funny I saw the mag with this project!

I may be interested in it, what is the practical usage/benifit? Does it amplify the amiga sound? Why do you call it a sound card? thanks

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Ok PM sent Officially interested awaiting response :thumbsup:

quarkx
18th August 2011, 01:30
I think one of those came in my haul in January, but I have no clue on what it was or did

FastRobPlus
18th August 2011, 01:41
So funny I saw the mag with this project!

I may be interested in it, what is the practical usage/benifit? Does it amplify the amiga sound? Why do you call it a sound card? thanks

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Ok PM sent Officially interested awaiting response :thumbsup:

If I had to guess, I'd say this is a poor-man's Roland Sound Canvas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_SC-55) and gives General MIDI audio for games and music apps that support MIDI out. The Sierra games likely support this sort of MIDI event output.

I remember back in 1985-86 trying to describe a device like this to American Music and Musicland, hoping it existed so I could get good sound out of my Atari ST. They looked at me like I was crazy.

robinsonb5
18th August 2011, 09:50
@FastRobPlus: Yes, that's exactly what this is. In fact, Roland sold a very similar Waveblaster board which could be used instead of the DB50XG (the SC-55 I think).

Basically these boards were add-ons for PC sound cards which replaced the truly awful built-in MIDI synth chips with something that sounded much more respectable. Sadly, the waveblaster headers these boards attached to went out of fashion round about the time sound cards went PCI, so it's hard to use them even with PCs now.

@Quarkx - you've got a little gem there - don't let it gather dust! Go to Aminet and hunt out my old B5MIDI archive. In there, you'll find a DeliPlayer that can play MIDI files through the ProjectXG. (Don't forget to push the reset button - if there is one! If not, the previous owner might have rigged up a suitable RC circuit to provide the timed reset pulse.)

@VidChick: Interest noted, thanks :) I know somewhere I've got a demo module produced with Octamed Soundstudio - I'll see if I can dig it up. Bars and Pipes and SuperJam can both be legally downloaded for free, though, and they're much more geared up towards MIDI work.

robinsonb5
18th August 2011, 14:32
I found the old OctaMED SoundStudio file I was thinking of, and recorded it to an MP3:
http://npandd.co.uk/XGDemos/OSS_MIDITest.mp3
OctaMED is simply sending note-on / note-off messages over the serial port, and the DB50XG card is producing the actual sound.

VidChick
26th August 2011, 02:42
Hi. Payment made. Please see PM for details. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your patience had a family emergency. Please let me know you got it OK and please send the DHL tracking. Thanks :bowdown:

robinsonb5
7th September 2011, 00:26
Having made a few improvements as discussed, collected by DHL today - should be with you soon :)

VidChick
9th September 2011, 09:39
Hey
Got it and it works great. Awesome mods too. You are the best! :bowdown:

robinsonb5
9th September 2011, 12:43
Hey
Got it and it works great. Awesome mods too. You are the best! :bowdown:

Good to know DHL didn't trash it! :)

As for the mods - it's been too long since I've played with stripboard - so it was great fun!

Feedback left.