SCSI Speed part:2

Kawazu

Country
Sweden
Region
Åmål
Part:1
https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=16780

I have been cursing over this for a while now.
Cant get this bloddy thing to give me the correct speed that i wanted.

I am using a 68pin 10k SCSI drive and a CSPPC
Term-->CSPPC-->68pin SCSI HDD [ Term PWR]-->Term

There is just that HDD on that chain and these are the resoult im getting :(

dsc072961277x855.jpg

And here is a pic where you can see my SCSI settings and another benchmark.

dsc072971277x855.jpg

I have tried a different SCSI HDD and a different cable and i get the same speed from both :Doh:

Is there somthing on the software side i can fiddle around with?

By changing the files system to either PFS3 (ensure you get the right one that optimized for your CPU) or SFS, you should see about a 20% increase

you can add some more buffers to the devices - this will also add upto 10% more speed

You could also ensure that the SCSI is set for Syncronus Transfer as opposed to Asyncronus - this again will see a 20% speed increase (if the device can handle it)

Ensure you are using quality cables, with good quaility termination packs, I would also suggest to try using shorter lengths of Cable (under 20cm)

I would like to point out that your RAW READ in the first SysInfo test scores a very handsome 24.58MB a second!!

I am sure if you play with the above a bit more you should see some VERY fast results- as a matter of interest on my CSMk2 (Fast SCSI 2 DMA) the best I see is about 6.38MB on Async Transfer with a FAST SCSI drive, Short Cables and Active Termination

This is also using SFS and an 060@50MHz with 128MB RAM behind it.

The cable is 50cm long and as you can see on pic nr 2 i am using sync mode

The file system is FFS.

Tried to add PFS3 to my spare HDD, followed the guide and all. Now my system is refusing to boot. The hdd led is just blinking 10 times and restart. If i unplugg it and just use my "normal" drive it boots just fine. Almost like i destroyed it or somthing :D

I think i will just let it be, I dont have the propper knowledge to do this.

Last edited:
Got the HDD working again.
Had to insert the 68pin cable while the amiga was running and rescan the scsi.

Did everything one more time exactly like the guide told me to and the same problem apears once again!!! :censored::Doh::censored::Doh:

Edit: And trying to formate the hdd in that hellspawn program that comes with the PFS3 packade is like taking over the world with just the help of a spoon! Whaterver settings you enter you get slaped in the face by "Could not format driver" or somthing like that, same shit with normal and quick format.

Back
Top Bottom