merlinkv

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
Hi to all :)

As title said, I'm looking for one DKB-3128, fully populated with 128MB, and in perfect working order.

Thanks

Hi

Well my intention is to use it as real memory under OS 4.1 Classic. As I know ZorRAM run only as "paged" memory.

The DKB behaves the same as the ZorRAM on OS4.1 Classic...
So both DKB and ZorRAM is only available as paged memory.

As drbrain says, all Zorro Ram is used as Page Ram under OS4.1 Classic :(

And Fastlane Z3 does not work at all!

These are bad news... :( So, I think the only one good for 4.1 Classic is one A1200 BPPC populated with 256MB......

In anyway I want to take one..... I love classic HW :)

Thanks for the info guys (y)

These are bad news... :( So, I think the only one good for 4.1 Classic is one A1200 BPPC populated with 256MB......

In anyway I want to take one..... I love classic HW :)

Thanks for the info guys (y)

Yep it sux my friend that you cannot use it as Ram. Shame because CSPPC is a much faster setup with UW SCSI and 64bit Ram.

OS4.1 Classic works well on Mediator setup (tested and working with the Mediator board I sent you) (y)

Good luck with your search - if I can ever bring myself to sell one of my three DKB's I'll PM you :ninja:

Steve.

DKB drain much more power so your Amiga will become very hot. I have a ZorRAM and my A4000 is quite cold.

Did anyone ever bother to notice how warm the Resistor packs are on an A3000 or A4000 daughter/riser board? (the A3000's are a bit warmer than the A4000's). Did anyone bother to calculate how much current was being wasted? (at least enough to run a ZorRam or older low powered memory board).

Oh, did I forget to mention I replaced those nasty power wasting dual-term R-packs with pull-ups several years ago!

I apologize for the "but in and here's my 2 cents worth" comment but maybe this one will save this Wanted thread from more of the same.

Last edited:
DKB vs ZorRAM..... I need to wait for offers & compare prices... Then I will take the less expensive option....

Really, I can wait for long time without probs..... :)

I can vouch for ZorRAM for sure though :)
I got the 256MB version some time ago and it works awesomely well. It get a bit hot but not so much and it's such a cute little board with so much powa lol.
True... DKB is more manly and huge board. It's all up to price and interest tbh :)

The reason we heavily invested in bringing ZorRAM to the marketplace is because the old DKB3128 were going for exceptionally high prices on EBay. We wanted to sell a modern much lower cost board that we can offer a warranty with and it would be readily available. ZorRAM features modern SDRAM, whereas the old DKB3128 uses old SIMMs.

@merlinkv
Dont forget, if you have ordered from us in the past regularly, then your Customer Loyalty Discount will be applied to any ZorRAM purchase during Checkout.

Probably most already know this, but just to clarify - even if the ZIII RAM did work as regular system RAM, it would be next to useless in a situation where you have a CSPPC (which you will have if running OS4) because of the speed.

The difference in memory access speed between the two is around ten-fold; even the SCSI controller manages much better speeds than a ZorRAM or DKB3128.

@ajk

This is because the CSPPC uses a 64bit interleved memory controller, which is amazingly fast compared to non-interleaved memory controller - the ZorRAM and DKB3128 are non interleaved memory controllers.

It would be nice to see a Zorro based product that uses a similar 64bit interlerved controller over two sticks of PC133, however the ZorroIII bus isn't fast enough =(

@Amigakit

Arguably, the 72pin SIMM's that we use on the miggy are SDRAM technology, (since its sycronized to the bus) some have extra features like EDO (Extended Data Out) or FPM (Fast Page Mode) or other extended writing / reading features. I would expect that the ZorRAM uses some of the fetures of the onboard (faster clocked) SDRAM, the DKB3128 does not have this capability.

However what really is the Selling point of the ZorRAM (for me) is the lower power consumption, warrenty, support and the fact it NEW hardware.

All hardware only has a finite life with them, the fact we are using machines that were not to be seen to last 5 years - 25 years later, is a testment to as much our passion for them as thier initial design ;)

@Alexh

Irrespective of the niceities of new hardware, along with a top-notch support and warrenty packege, I would say what the ZorRAM brings to the table first is arguably a much lesser power drain...

If we argue that each memory chip on a SIMM uses 15ma, which is a very conservative value as I have memory modules here that can use over twice that!

Taking this further, a standard 16 chip 32mb simm would draw 240ma - thus for four sticks it would requite 960ma to run, not including logic and latching on the adapter itself... thus I could say the DKB3128 at its lowest power consumption would use a good amp =) (yeah....i know its only 5 wats... but they could be very special ones ;) but I suspect that its probalby twice that with older SIMM's)

The ZorRAM, I would estimate to use less than half of this amount, infact I would say it would struggle to see a third of that kinda of power consumption. Also the ZorRAMs physical dimensions are much smaller, this aids in improving airflow by not holding back heat on cramped systems (like the A3000D or a heavily populated A4000D)

All in all, the ZorRAM is a better product, backed up with some top-notch support, you just dont get that with nearly 19 year old equipment like the DKB3128 - unless you know the person you bought it from really well and they liked you.... a lot... lol....

besides getting a DKB3128 is only half the cost... it would seem there is an international crisis on 32MB simms lately!

Last edited:
@merlinkv

Well, I tried but it looks like your thread became a DKB vs. ZorRAM thread... :nuts:

I hope you won't let the power consumption argument influence your decision on this matter. There really isn't that much difference and the bus specification allows 2 amps per PIC.

Zorro3 isn't fast enough to take advantage of the speed potential of SDRAM so I hope that won't influence your decision either. Obviously, a new board has advantages of warranty and support but likely commands a higher price as well.

One issue that has not been addressed the requirement of SuperBuster rev 11 for ZorRAM vs. DKB's ability to work with any rev SuperBuster. If you already have a rev 11 this is a non-issue for you but an extra expense for others. It seems to me that if ZorRAM had been designed to follow the Z3 bus specification rather than specifically for rev 11 then it would be a non-issue for everyone! :blink:

Last edited:
I've heard reports of people successfully using ZorRAM in an A3000 with Super Buster-07, so a Buster upgrade may not be necessary. As ever in Amiga-land, YMMV, but worth bearing in mind!

(y)

@AndyLandy

I've heard the same thing. But what happens when you have a problem and request technical or warranty support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom