Wolfy

Away with the fairies...
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Devizes, Wiltshire
Hiya guys and gals.

This evening whilst showing off my a1200 to a friend I told him I had a real nice accel card and we should sit and watch some demos....
Well if only life was that simple.

I unpacks my Apollo 1240 card from it`s original box that it was placed in 10 years ago and installed it in my A1200 which has an old a500 psu (heavy type 60w)
Switch on and all I get is the LED at half brightness and a black screen
The machine responds to the CTRL+A+A reset, but resets back to a black screen.

I have tried a number of power supplies and tried the card in 2 different a1200`s and I get exactly the same symptom.

Distraught!!

Could it be the cap? it only has the one that is central above the CPU.?

Has the battery leaked whilst in storage? :(

The battery has swollen quite badly, but no corrosion, I shall remove the battery in a bit...

The battery has swollen quite badly, but no corrosion, I shall remove the battery in a bit...

Can you post a hi-rez pic for us?

My dead Apollo 1240 is the same, only black screen. Battery leaked and destroyed tracks on the PCB (n)

So here is a pic

IMG20110924_006.jpg

can see bad corrosive damage around the philips 74f74d chip

<cries>

So here is a pic

View attachment 17433

can see bad corrosive damage around the philips 74f74d chip

<cries>

I'd say for sure that's the cause of your blank screen. Hopefully it can be saved, my friend Peter sent his card away with Blank screen and it looked worse than yours and it was saved.

You need that chip and the jumper pins to be re-worked and any damaged tracks/pads jumped.

There are a few experts on these boards, maybe someone will take on the job for you.

Good luck,

Steve.

That is awsome news about your friends card.

Well I would of course be willing to pay for any work that needs doing to the card.

If the is someone in the UK who would be willing to do the work please get in touch!

Regards

@Wolfy

I've tweaked your thread title a little - hopefully someone will offer their help (y)

Dave G :cool:

First, add a JMP on "RAM"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Small update, I have the board now and it is badly corroded. Everything is falling apart: tracks, pads, vias ...:(

Attachments

• CIMG0837.jpg
    CIMG0837.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 8
  • CIMG0838.jpg
    CIMG0838.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 32
@Bebek mine is the same, Zetr0 was thinking to make a small PCB to do the job of that latching chip. Do you think that is possible?

Mine only has a blank screen and Stachu has tried to rework the chip without success so Zetr0 has it now in his Amiga Graveyard! :(

@Bebek mine is the same, Zetr0 was thinking to make a small PCB to do the job of that latching chip. Do you think that is possible?

Mine only has a blank screen and Stachu has tried to rework the chip without success so Zetr0 has it now in his Amiga Graveyard! :(

This small board is a good idea, it is doable. I will think about it. Thanks.

This small board is a good idea, it is doable. I will think about it. Thanks.

If you have success please let me know as I have CPU and upgrade kit here bought from ParGunnar for mine and it also has Mach131 so ready to rock and roll if we can fix it! :D

Oh dear :eek:veractor:

On the bright side, it has a mach131 that could be transfered to a working board, and even if bebek repairs this board I would keep it as is and hunt out a mach130 appolo in better condition for upgrading...

All possibilities for the new year to come.

Thanks for having a go though and I shall stay optimistic

i need an a1240 broken for repair it and for repair my a1260

To be precise:
Once I saw how big damage is I decided to do nothing as acid stays in many places eating cooper. So such card could work for week or two and break after. Sometimes it's better to do nothing and say “R.I.P.”. I know that from my own experience.

Oh ? And with a big cleaning with acetone ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Repaired

Repaired

Decided to do it freestyle as PCB repair kit is quite expensive :) and would take long time. Two tracks repaired under IC, the rest on top of PCB (as you can see). Replaced F74 and crystal with 75MHz. The board works fine. When upgraded to 060 I do not think F74 circuit is needed at all, can be skipped.

Attachments

• CIMG0844.jpg
    CIMG0844.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CIMG0841.jpg
    CIMG0841.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 9
Bebek nice work mate

wolfy nice to see it could be fixed

these batteries are killers why did they use them

Back
Top Bottom