PDA

View Full Version : Indivision AGA 4000/CD32 Installation

SkydivinGirl
7th April 2009, 18:47
Hey Everyone!

I received my Indivision 4000 in the mail yesterday from AmigaKit! I was, needless to say, extremely excited to get it installed in my A4000 Desktop. Id like to share my experience with all of you so you can get a better idea of the installation process and the product itself.

The box the Indivision 4000 comes in is the generic Individual Computers box that all the products I have purchased from them have come in. Included in the box are:

- Indivision 4000 Board with an attached grounding wire
- DB15 VGA Connector that connects through a ribbon cable to the Indivision 4000
- English Indivision AGA 4000/CD32 Short Manual
- German Indivision AGA 4000/CD32 Short Manual

[attachment=5:1bx3bu68]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.001 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:1bx3bu68]
My first gripe would have to be the fact that a VGA slot plate was not included for mounting the VGA port in an empty slot on the Amiga 4000. Im fairly certain buying a batch of these plates would have cost next to nothing and would have had a negligible impact on the weight of the product. I can understand why one was not included for the A1200 because there was not a pre-existing product that could have been used but there really is no excuse in this instance.

I ended up removing the plate from an old ATI Rage XL PCI card that I had stored away. When I can find an extra plate from a dead video card, Ill swap it around.

[attachment=4:1bx3bu68]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.002 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:1bx3bu68]
Heres the DB15 VGA Port after connecting it to the plate.

[attachment=3:1bx3bu68]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.003 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:1bx3bu68]
Here are a couple Before pictures. My Amiga 4000 is just about stock. I purchased this machine from tone007 here on AmiBay and it was in excellent shape and included all the drive slot plates. Since receiving the machine, I have installed a Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition IDE controller, an internal IDE terminator, a DVD drive and Iomega Zip Drive. The Buddha comes with a 2.5 IDE connector and a 3.5 IDE connector. As you can see in the image, I used a 2.5 to 3.5 converter because all my IDE devices require the larger cables.

[attachment=2:1bx3bu68]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.004 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:1bx3bu68]
A side view of my machine with the Lisa chip plainly visible just below the card slots. My Amiga has the HP Lisa.

[attachment=1:1bx3bu68]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.005 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:1bx3bu68]
Installation of the Indivision 4000 was, quite literally, a snap. I was a bit concerned about installing the Indivision because it connects the same way a PS2 solderless mod chip that I tried to install connects. On the PS2, the connector did not line up accurately and the result was some broken pins on the chip and a dead machine.

Fortunately, the Indivision 4000 is made of higher grade materials and the connector hugs the chip like a glove, making it virtually impossible to misalign. After putting a firm amount of pressure on the marked location, the Indivision 4000 snapped onto the chip with a satisfying click. I was surprised as well by the thought that went into making this device. There are holes in the Indivision 4000 that correspond to jumps that are located on the A4000 motherboard, giving you easy access to the jumpers without having to remove the Indivision 4000.

I next attached the Ground wire and installed the DB15 VGA connector and everything looked great!

[attachment=0:1bx3bu68]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.006 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:1bx3bu68]

SkydivinGirl
7th April 2009, 18:50
Heres a quick look at the back of the machine with the DB15 VGA Port installed.

[attachment=4:ix1cpkgh]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.007 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:ix1cpkgh]
After double checking my installation, I quickly put the machine back together and attached a Hyundai L91A 19 LCD monitor to test everything. The first screen that came up was the Kickstart screen. The hard drive I have installed doesnt spin up very fast so I always get this screen when I first turn on the system. A quick <Ctrl> + <Amiga> + <Amiga> and the system boots up from the HD.

[attachment=3:ix1cpkgh]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.008 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:ix1cpkgh]
The difference in the video quality is immediately apparent. The following screenshot is a 640x480 interlace screen mode. As you can see, the image is rock steady and there is absolutely no banding whatsoever. For some reason, the screen is not being stretched to fill the monitor and the automatic adjustment on the monitor moves the Workbench screen to the bottom left corner of the monitor. I manually adjusted the location but could not find the screen size adjustments on the monitor.

About the only other weird issue is when you move the pointer. The pointer flashes a little as if the Flicker Fixer is not keeping up with the movement of the mouse. I did not run an animation on the desktop yet, but I will do so to find out if it occurs there as well.

[attachment=2:ix1cpkgh]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.009 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:ix1cpkgh]
The only other test I had time to do last night was to run a demo. Since Im running ClassicWB 3.9, I ran the State of the Art demo that is included with ClassicWB. All I can say about the performance is Wow! The demo filled the screen and ran smooth as silk. Again, there was no banding and the quality was great.

[attachment=1:ix1cpkgh]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.010 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:ix1cpkgh]
[attachment=0:ix1cpkgh]Indivision Install 2009-04-06.011 [1280x768].JPG[/attachment:ix1cpkgh]
The next step is to install the HighGFX package and the Indivision 4000 tools. Ill update this thread to let everyone know how it goes.

Despite a few minor gripes, such as the software not being included in the package, Im extremely happy with the Indivision 4000 and would recommend it to anyone who wants to use a modern day monitor on their Amiga 4000.

Id love to hear from someone who has installed the Indivision 4000 in a CD32!

Thanks!

Heather

TheCorfiot
7th April 2009, 19:05
Heather

Superb Tutorial, Excellent Hardware pr0n & a great result. :D

Modes to have a play with are
640x512 PAL HighRes Laced
HighGFX 1024x768 Laced. This mode should fill the LCD screen :wink:

The VGA Output Bandwidth is pretty good too so the text is very clear even at 1024x768
I totally agree regarding the blanking plate :?:

Be-interested on your longterm findings especially when the system has been running for a few hours.
Alice in my A4000 seems to be temperamental unfortunately & is causing me issues no end, I've even added extra cooling, stability has improved but still not right. :(

Nice Article though, I really enjoyed reading it and about time we got to see the beasty :wink:

TC :mrgreen:

jimbob005
7th April 2009, 19:10
looks good heather i like naked pic's

i have one of them port plates if you want it

james

Shoonay
7th April 2009, 19:46
Where's Zetr0 when we need him to burst with joy here? ;)
/me loves hardware pr0n too!
... not to mention that SpaceBalls demo 8)

SkydivinGirl
7th April 2009, 20:04
@TC

I'll put it through its paces and take notes on the different resolutions. I'll also let it run for a while. I could stand playing Zak McKracken for a few hours! :wink: I'll post my findings here. I'll be very happy if it is anything like what I've already seen.

Too bad about your Alice chip. :(

@JimBob005

I really appreciate the offer but I'm sure I'll run into one here at some point. No need to ship a fairly common part halfway around the world. :D

@Shoonay
I also enjoy some good hardware pr0n and SpaceBalls is one of my favorite Amiga demos. I could not find the other lens for my camera so the images are not as clear as they could have been. They didn't turn out too bad though.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Heather

keropi
7th April 2009, 20:17
nice !!! I am jealous! :mrgreen:

PS. you can avoid passing the IDE cables _above_ the busboard metal holder by using the special cut the busboard has for that reason (so the cables go between the holder and the busboard)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp/a4000daughterrevb.jpg

also may ask why you use a Buddha? for the clockport? dead onboard IDE port? I have one and it offers no speed increase... don't get me wrong, I am just curious :)

PhilipMcD
7th April 2009, 20:46
Thanks for this guide.

I was going to do the same thing before I sold my A4000D but decided I wasn't as bothered for a stock A4KD.

Just wish we had a thread like this for CD32 owners! 8)

The dilemma is though if you don't have a stock (as opposed to massive upgrades: 060/RTG/AHI) A4000D then the Indy just isn't as appealing, as relying on Chip Ram for screenmodes wouldn't be quite as desirable as the RTG modes.

And CD32 owners have a different problem: the Indy would only really come into its own with some fast ram and a HDD controller. And the SX32 is out of the question for most of us.

Shame.

keropi
7th April 2009, 20:58
still, the IndivisionAGA 4000 makes a perfect companion for RTG cards like CV64, PiccoloSD64 or PCI busboard owners... whdload till yer fingers bleed!
just remember to adjust the Indivision to display 50fps for smooth scrolling (there is an option in the indivision config tool that needs to go from 1.20 to 1.00 for this)

SkydivinGirl
7th April 2009, 21:13
@keropi

I have never taken the metal bar off the top of the daughter board so I honestly did not realize there was a slot there! That will definitely be done when I get home! Thanks for the tip.

As for the Buddha, I knew I would not get an increase in speed but it did give me additional IDE ports and it came with a legal version of the Elaborate Bytes IDE software. It wasn't until after I got the Buddha that I found out the EB IDE software only works with devices attached to the Buddha. I was planning on running my DVD drive from the internal IDE connector.

If I were to do it again, I would probably spend the money on a SCSI card or fast IDE card.

@PhillipMcD

I really enjoyed putting this post together, so it was my pleasure! I also have a CD32 but, as you say, without something like an SX32, it would be a bit of a waste for me to put it in there. I guess I'll keep using my CD32 as a console. However, I would also like to see pictures of someone installing the Indivision in one!

Take care,

Heather

keropi
7th April 2009, 22:57
yes too bad about the buddha+idefix lock down... one other drawback is that if you do not have something connected to the onboard IDE (be it a drive or an IDEkiller) you just have to wait ~30secs extra to boot :evil:

PS. also another hint, behind the RCA audio outputs there is a header where you can connect the cdrom audio output (I did not knew it too, I saw it on one of the german A4000's I got over the years :mrgreen: )

TheCorfiot
8th April 2009, 00:00
@keropi

Well I'll be damned, I never noticed the slot in the daughterboard for the cables either :lol:
CD Connector at back is very useful, now that I did know :lol:

BTW Heather has an IDE Terminator for the onboard IDE to stop the delay.

@Heather

I thought the Buddha had both 44pin & 40pin Headers for IDE channel 0, If so use the 40 save you having to use an adapter...

@all

Still Farting about with my A4000 tonight & Indivision to try & get the best cooling / stable operation for the system.
It's a pain in the neck, the cooling easily solves the tearing & striping when using SuperHires or HighGFX 1024x768 laced in fact it's perfect in these modes now. :D
All Lo-Res Games modes are perfect too as are HAM modes. :D
It's just standard 640x512 PAL or 640x256 PAL that shows up random screen corruption on occasion when it's redrawing the screen (open / close windows). :?:

I'm going to leave it alone for a few days before I chuck it out the window :lol:

Where's Zetr0 when I need to bounce some ideas off him.......help

keropi
8th April 2009, 00:38
@TC: what about using hot-glue to fix a 40x40mm fan on top of the indivision so it sends air through the lisa holes on the pcb?

SkydivinGirl
8th April 2009, 02:39
@TC

You are correct, I have the IDE terminator installed. I am using both the 44 Pin and 40 Pin headers. The 44 Pin Header with the converter is running the hard drive and the 40 Pin header is running the DVD drive and Zip drive.

Ciao!

Heather

Adonay
8th April 2009, 03:20
:evil: Nice setup would be interesting to put it in a cd32

TheCorfiot
8th April 2009, 10:51
@TC: what about using hot-glue to fix a 40x40mm fan on top of the indivision so it sends air through the lisa holes on the pcb?

I thought it was LISA at first too so I sat a fan on top of the socket blowing air throughthe holes.

It turn's out that it's ALICE that need's more ventilation as there is not much air clearence between the Indi PCB and ALICE & the Indi get's particularly hot in that area.

I've currently got a PIII style fan stuck on top of the Indi on the left side with double sided foam pads, half of the fan is over lapping the top edge of the board so air is forced between the Indi & A4000 Mobo.
Look's sad but it's the best result I've had so far even though std Hi-res modes are displaying this corruption, It Seem's to get more upset when Multicolour Icons are being redrawn, ie higher RAM bandwidth being used.

I currently have an 8MB SIMM sat in the ChipRAM socket & have tried 2 different types, I wonder if it would be better with a real 2MB RAM SIMM ?? But I don't have one :(

Thanks for your suggestion though, keep em coming my friend :wink:

/goes off to continue banging head against the wall

keropi
8th April 2009, 11:25
hmmm.... post a pic TC!!!
There is no difference when using a 8MB SIMM for chipram, but if you like IIRC I have some 2MB sticks somewhere... perhaps I send a couple to you? :mrgreen:

TheCorfiot
29th April 2009, 16:09
Could this be the answer :woot:

Mod and tests to be carried out in the next day or two :wink:

Oh sorry, and for you technically minded nosey lot, :laugh:
It's a 1K resistor between +5V and the CCK line which raises the peak to peak amplitude of the clock signal to over 4 Volts, Without it the signal swing is 3.4V

TC 8)

SkydivinGirl
29th April 2009, 16:25
@TC

I knew I should have taken some electronics classes!

Please keep us updated! Very cool stuff! :P

Ciao!

Heather

TheCorfiot
29th April 2009, 16:29
Cheers Heather :thanks:

I should point out that the above is totally experimental, :run:
It is NOT a mandatory mod of any kind and is something that I am trying out, I can not advise anyone to mod their Indivision4000 in this manner.

Best Wishes
TC :D

PhilipMcD
1st May 2009, 19:51
You're a brave b*st*rd for trying to mod this thing so early, all things considered.

Still, didn't know about the heat issue - is it only after long continuous use that it becomes apparent?

Kin Hell
5th May 2009, 19:46
I was talking to TC about this some weeks ago & was going to try the Indi on a Cr Edition board to see if she had the same problems. I'm interested in the outcome of this so can't wait for SdG to get back with her results at those screen modes suggested by TC.

@ TC

RE the 1k mod, any indication upping the voltage helps yet?

Kin

SkydivinGirl
5th May 2009, 20:42
@Kin

I've been in the midst of re-painting every room in my house. As a result, my home office is packed so full I can't get to anything. I'm hoping to have it all cleaned up by the end of this weekend. Once I do, I'll hop right into checking out those screen modes and let you know what I find.

Ciao!

Heather

Kin Hell
5th May 2009, 20:46
@ SdG

Look forward to it. My A4KDCr board might be sold as of the 22nd of this month & then I won't be in a position to try it for TC! :|

Kin

TheCorfiot
10th May 2009, 17:30
Could this be the answer :woot:

Mod and tests to be carried out in the next day or two :wink:

Oh sorry, and for you technically minded nosey lot, :laugh:
It's a 1K resistor between +5V and the CCK line which raises the peak to peak amplitude of the clock signal to over 4 Volts, Without it the signal swing is 3.4V

TC 8)

OK ---- Great News :woot:

As you are aware some A1200 Motherboards had an issue where using 28Mhz Graphics modes (ie Super Hires,Productivity..etc) would produce tearing on the screen & flashing Vertical lines.
This is commonly cured by shorting out resistor E127R which alters the CCK (clock)signal sufficiently to eliminate the issue completely.

Now it appears that some A4000's (I have a Commodore Lisa) also suffer from this effect when the Indivision AGA is installed as the CCK line is loaded & the same fault condition occours.

By applying the fix below, adding a 1K resistor between +5V & CCK, then this fault condition is completely eliminated and normal service is resumed :thumbsup2:

I modified my Indivision AGA this morning, removed all added cooling to ALICE & refitted the lid, the system has now worked perfectly with a clean & stable display for 6 Hours, HighGFX 1024x768 & Superhires Mode is perfect. :pint:

A4000 / Indivision AGA owners should only consider this mod IF they have the issues I have described above. It is NOT Mandatory :readit:

Now as a big plea ---- does anyone have a genuine 2MB ChipRAM SIMM they would be willing to kindly donate as I currently have an 8MB SIMM fitted which I agree with you all poses no issues with a real LISA, but I have my suspicions regarding compatibility with IndivisionAGA's FPGA LISA. :whistle:

Thanks all in advance

TC :thumbsup2:

Kin Hell
12th May 2009, 17:24
LMAO!! :thumbsup2:

"Over-Clockers"...eat ur heart out! :thumbsup:

I'm really pleased it works Bas. Nice one Kiddo!

Charlie

jackleather
13th May 2009, 15:31
Hi all! :D

I was wondering...will the Indivision AGA 4000 physically fit with a mediator 4000Di fitted?

Kin Hell
13th May 2009, 15:50
@ jackleather

At worst, you might have to remove the Di in order to fit the Indi. The Di should then still fit into the Mainboards ZORRO Interface. This is very similar to fitting a DCE FF/SD. :wink:

Kin

jackleather
13th May 2009, 16:38
@ jackleather

At worst, you might have to remove the Di in order to fit the Indi. The Di should then still fit into the Mainboards ZORRO Interface. This is very similar to fitting a DCE FF/SD. :wink:

Kin

even with the bridge board in the bottom socket?

hmmm, question. does the bridge have to go in the bottom socket? cos i like it there.

jvdbossc
31st December 2009, 00:39
:mad:Did do the mod, it ads yellow and almost unreadible yellow screen for workbench,, can not believe that we missed a pin cound, the only possible explanation to me is that we misinterpreted the instructions.

Might have the instructions wrong - will post a pic for approval if done correctly :bowdown:

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

Sorry to say, but we did after doing this mod had a couple of drinks :D

Probably I did made a good contact over Lisa, since the ristor soldered was a little in the way ;)

I refitted the card, and did a copy in workbench, (almost certain to produce some strange artifacts)

opened a lot of windows, but was not able to reproduce the strange artifacts problem. (if it stays like this) i will update this post anyway.

So well, only tested for 5 minutes (knowing wat to do to have the strange problems) it looks like a fix:thumbsup:

Kin Hell
1st January 2010, 00:02
even with the bridge board in the bottom socket?

hmmm, question. does the bridge have to go in the bottom socket? cos i like it there.

Yes. :thumbsup:

Kin

TheCorfiot
1st January 2010, 13:57
@jvdbossc

I told you it would work...:p

Well Done !!!!

BTW since my original post, JENS has now endorsed this as an official fix..

TC :thumbsup:

master_eragon
16th January 2010, 16:16
@jvdbossc

I told you it would work...:p

Well Done !!!!

BTW since my original post, JENS has now endorsed this as an official fix..

TC :thumbsup:

good work friends!!!! superb !!!

TheCorfiot
17th January 2010, 00:36
Welcome to Amibay master_eragon

TC :)

jvdbossc
17th January 2010, 18:18
A couple of day's ago, I had problems with the colors, once more, refitted it once more, and yes, it works!

Strange that know there seems to be a bad contact problem.

Well the highfx mode is clearly fixed, no disturbance anymore, no complaints, exept the refitting is annoying.

Bought a mediator 4000 di, so.. that completely blox it of, so removing the daughter card is annoying.

I do not believe in heating issues, heat?? I don't feel a thing even after an hour.

Mine has holes in the indivision aga anyway.

TheCorfiot
17th January 2010, 18:52
@jvd

Does your motherboard contain a "HP" or "Commodore" LISA chip..

TC :)

jvdbossc
17th January 2010, 19:51
Well to be honest, have some stability problems, when It is working, I do not wan't to touch it.

Will have to open it soon, will inform then and get it once more off.

jvdbossc
1st March 2010, 12:57
I had a couple of questions about jens schoenfeld his products, so got some support & info from him.:thumbsup: (real quick)

He had a look at this thread and it appears first hand info coming from amikit, delivered by jens schoenfeld himself.

So it is not so unofficial.:readit:

What happend with my indivision aga? Well after the upgrade with 68060 and mediator pci, it needed extra airflow, since that extra airflow and the resistor fix no complaints.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

And yes Jens also comfirmed that mediator 4000di busboard generates heat.

I did not ask for a solution, since solved.

rkauer
1st March 2010, 18:08
A little blob of silicone glue (the neutral type! Don't use the common one as it have acetic acid which can attack metal in the vicinity) between the Lisa chip and the Indy can make wonders, you know? ;)

jvdbossc
1st March 2010, 21:23
rkauer thanks for helping, will keep that in mind if causes another prob - for now I adhere: never change a winning team the man who used these words made it so..:ninja: Hopefully it's not needed.

J.T.Kirk
1st March 2010, 21:53
How I could missed this super tutorial and thread. Thanks to SDG and to everyone involved. I'll keep this thread in mind, as I'm thinking of this scandoubler for my A4000D. :)

The bad thing, is that I don't want to put off PicassoIV for the likes of the CVisionPPC card. :(

TheCorfiot
1st March 2010, 23:47
Phantom

If you can get the P IV with built in FF & SD then that is certainly the first choice my friend.

I have to say though the Indi 4000 AGA produces great results especially using HighGFX modes.

Thread update *****************

@jvd

I was fortunate to have one of the first Indi's in the UK and therefore one of the first to experience any issues.
AmigaKit are a few miles from my house & I was able to report & carry out diagnostics regarding a possible solution.
Matthew & I communicated our findings to Jen's who after further tests and some consideration suggested the "resistor mod" as a possible solution.

At the time I posted within this thread it was only a potential solution & my A4K was used as a test for the mod...

It was endorsed officially at a later date due to the successfull results from the field.

Hope that clears things up.... I don't remember actually posting it was un-official, just not endorsed ie experimental at the time..

TC :roll:

J.T.Kirk
1st March 2010, 23:49
@ TC

Kinny provided me with a state-of-the-art PicassoIV card with SD/FF and Paloma, Pablo also. :thumbsup:

I know CyberVisionPPC is better in characteristics, but this automatic SD/FF of the PicassoIV card it's just fantastic and very convenient.

Alas, I really don't know what to do.:(

TheCorfiot
2nd March 2010, 00:03
Phantom

Tough one my friend, difficult for me to advise, If I had a Picasso IV I would be over the moon & very happy indeed, my Indivision would be up for sale straight away :nod:

I have a Picasso II with the Indivision on the loopthrough & I do agree the auto-switching is indeed very handy.

I don't know enough about the CybervisionPPC, Keropi or Kinny would be best to answer this one.

If you ever want to lose the Picasso IV however, you know where I am :lol:

Best Regards

J.T.Kirk
2nd March 2010, 00:09
Sure, it's better though to open a new thread regarding my final option about these two cards, as I don't want to ruin this great thread about the Indy (call me Indiana Jones :p) 4000 SD/FF. :)

If you ever want to lose the Picasso IV however, you know where I am :lol:

Best Regards

To tell the truth, it's very tough for me to draw apart my lovely PIV card, but if that happens in the future, you are first in line. :thumbsup:

jvdbossc
7th March 2010, 12:41
Another user poped in in a different thread with strange display line's:whistle: Pointed to this thread..

How many people have done the mod here?

Kin Hell
8th March 2010, 12:22
<snip>

To tell the truth, it's very tough for me to draw apart my lovely PIV card, but if that happens in the future, you are first in line. :thumbsup:

:wooha: *sniff*

Kin

J.T.Kirk
8th March 2010, 14:40
Oh... I forgot Charlie... :Doh:

How dare.... Ok... I'll cut the PIV in half and share the pieces to both of you. :p

Kin Hell
8th March 2010, 17:18
@ Antonis

If I ever need it that badly m8, I'm sure Bas would be ok about me having it back. :twisted:

Charlie

TheCorfiot
8th March 2010, 17:47
@ Antonis

If I ever need it that badly m8, I'm sure Bas would be ok about me having it back. :twisted:

Charlie

No :p

Of course mate ;)

TC :lol:

whiteb
28th April 2010, 01:15
It would be interesting to know if Jens/Amigakit supply Indivision with the fix applied now.

protek
12th June 2010, 20:53
Slightly sidetracking on this topic but here's a thought: we have the Indy AGA and i.e. Piccolo SD64. Instead of using a loop cable from the Indy to Piccolo, snip the VGA port off the indy ribbon cable and solder the cable to the inside of Piccolo RGB in. Or better yet, solder the same type of ribbon cable header as the Indy to the Piccolo to replace the RGB in port. The result: nicer and neater back plane.

PhilipMcD
19th June 2010, 12:28
It would be interesting to know if Jens/Amigakit supply Indivision with the fix applied now.

Well it was mentioned earlier on in the thread that the fix is official now.

Whether or not the fix is made on existing stock as standard, who knows...

Matt or Jens maybe?

protek
1st July 2010, 12:42
I think it's worth mentioning that you really have to have the Indivision pressed skin tight to the mobo. I re-inserted mine a couple of times and thought it was ok, when I heard a click but was still getting a pink or violet workbench screen. On the last time, the socket edges were really against the mobo and hey presto! Works like a charm.