PDA

View Full Version : Found Amstrad CPC 6128 Base Unit only

TheCorfiot
4th October 2011, 00:31
Working Amstrad CPC 6128 Base unit only with manuals, wanted for extreme hackery ;)

Anyone have one stashed upstairs in the loft please...

Regards
TC :cool:

Chinners
5th October 2011, 10:00
I don't have a CPC464 any more, but I do have a good condition spiral bound manual for it, if it helps your search.

TheCorfiot
5th October 2011, 10:32
I don't have a CPC464 any more, but I do have a good condition spiral bound manual for it, if it helps your search.

Hi Jasey

That indeed would be a great start my friend, please PM me the damage & I'll send some beer tokens on their way ;)

PS --- May I take this opportunity to extend my thanks for your excellent 3.5" floppy hack tutorial... I modified one of my drives accordingly & it works great with my +3....
Then I used the modified drive to help restore and repair a DD1 floppy controller for the CPC464 & it's working perfectly as well.
Will be doing a photobooth at some point...
Cheers again. :thumbsup:

Chinners
5th October 2011, 10:48

Hi Jasey

That indeed would be a great start my friend, please PM me the damage & I'll send some beer tokens on their way ;)

PS --- May I take this opportunity to extend my thanks for your excellent 3.5" floppy hack tutorial... I modified one of my drives accordingly & it works great with my +3....
Then I used the modified drive to help restore and repair a DD1 floppy controller for the CPC464 & it's working perfectly as well.
Will be doing a photobooth at some point...
Cheers again. :thumbsup:

I'll get the scales out when I get home. I can't see it being more than a pint. We're moving house shortly, so I need to downsize my collection of stuff :(

I'll take a few photies of it and put them on here, and PM some deets.

Thanks for the kind words about the 3.5" hack. One more tip I can recommend is, instead of shorting 33/34, use a push-to-break switch, so you can manually make the drive "not ready", which makes CP/M much happier on disk changes. (I'll add that to the tute later). As for the DD1 - did you power that from the floppy drive, or modify it to take it's volts from the CPC? Mind you, I could wait for the photobooth :)

TheCorfiot
5th October 2011, 10:55
Cheers Jasey

The DD1 is being powered from the expansion connector now by adding a soldered wire link...

For the moment I have removed the relevent contacts from the 34 way floppy connector to isolate the +5V being now sent by the DD1 & stop a short circuit to ground.

Ultimately I will replace the PCB mounted 34 way header on the DD1's PCB with a full male socket for easier connection but also to allow acces to the top PCB tracking to remove all of the +5V feeds to the floppy header.

I don't intend using this DD1 with a propper Amstrad drive as I don't have one :lol: so I suppose I'm converting it's floppy header to std 3.5" spec..

See the Pix soon....

And thanks for the manual ;)

TC :thumbsup:

Chinners
5th October 2011, 11:23
I don't intend using this DD1 with a propper Amstrad drive as I don't have one :lol: so I suppose I'm converting it's floppy header to std 3.5" spec...
If you're only using a 3.5" drive, it may be worthwhile replacing the socketed 40015 in the DDI with a Parados rom (Either burn your self or grab from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parados-ROM-Amstrad-CPC-464-664-6128-/230677930669?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item35b579e2ad#ht_500wt_898) for a small amount). This'll allow you to use the full capacity of the 3.5" drive, and gives you some nice built in disk tools to use.

TheCorfiot
5th October 2011, 12:48
That's a great idea mate, I'll program an eprom up & see what happens... I take it a 27128 will do the trick ;)

Wealth of ideas & tips you are mate :thumbsup:

Much appreciated

Zetr0
5th October 2011, 13:02
/Zetr0 subscribes to this thread

Interesting..... very VERY interesting.... I was just about to look into this ParaDOS =D

Chinners
5th October 2011, 13:20
That's a great idea mate, I'll program an eprom up & see what happens... I take it a 27128 will do the trick ;)

Wealth of ideas & tips you are mate :thumbsup:

Much appreciated

Unfortunately, that is where my knowledge of eprom ends :( I know it's a 16kb file (so I guess a 27128 holds 128kbit), so I would suggest yes.

If you bob to the Winape Download Page (http://www.winape.net/downloads.jsp), you can download the rom direct from the author. There is also source code available for extreme "wireframe WITH hidden line removal" style hackery. As this rom was designed to completely replace Amsdos, well... I'll leave the rest to you.

I have attached the pdf manual, but once installed, all you need to do is type "|Drive" to call up the configuration screen. (The | is shifted @, next to the P button).

@TC - Good luck, and I'll get the manual weighed etc. and let you know.
@Z - Good luck :)

TheCorfiot
5th October 2011, 15:57
Cheers for that :thumbsup:

I love the line, "There is only one bug in Parados" :lol:

Regards

Chinners
5th October 2011, 19:47
Hi TC,

Images attached of the manual, I'll PM you with more deets.

Cheers,

J

PinkStabbyOne
5th October 2011, 19:52
We have a CPC 464 spare, the tape deck doesnt work tho. Would only want the cost of postage if you want it. Im not sure how easy/hard the fix is?
Also a Green screen too, Me and the other half will be at Replay as staff if you are interested and want to save on postage

Chinners
5th October 2011, 19:58
We have a CPC 464 spare, the tape deck doesnt work tho. Would only want the cost of postage if you want it. Im not sure how easy/hard the fix is?

It Depends what is wrong with it - usually its just the belts that have stretched, sometimes it is the relay that has packed in. Worryingly often I have found them all rusty because the previous owner has spilled a can of coke into the unit :o

But it is easy to wire up an external tape drive to these beasties :)

PinkStabbyOne
5th October 2011, 20:01

It Depends what is wrong with it - usually its just the belts that have stretched, sometimes it is the relay that has packed in. Worryingly often I have found them all rusty because the previous owner has spilled a can of coke into the unit :o

But it is easy to wire up an external tape drive to these beasties :)
I think we couldnt be arsed to wire one up :D Hence its been sat in attic for past few months :D

TheCorfiot
5th October 2011, 21:15
Also a Green screen too, Me and the other half will be at Replay as staff if you are interested and want to save on postage

Hi There & many thanks for your kind offer..

If you would be willing to part with just the Base unit it would be most appreciated. Don't worry about the tape deck as long as the rest of it is working OK....

If that's OK with you then hit me up on PM regarding P&P costs to south wales as sadly I won't be able to make replay this year either, miss meeting all you guys..

Many Thanks again

TC :bowdown:

TheCorfiot
5th October 2011, 21:16
Hi TC,

Images attached of the manual, I'll PM you with more deets.

Cheers,

J

Cheers J, Looks perfect my friend...
Got your PM, replied & sent payment for you...

Thank you all for your help & kind efforts.

TC ;)

PinkStabbyOne
5th October 2011, 21:29

Hi There & many thanks for your kind offer..

If you would be willing to part with just the Base unit it would be most appreciated. Don't worry about the tape deck as long as the rest of it is working OK....

If that's OK with you then hit me up on PM regarding P&P costs to south wales as sadly I won't be able to make replay this year either, miss meeting all you guys..

Many Thanks again

TC :bowdown:
PM'ed you :D

TheCorfiot
5th October 2011, 22:20
@PSO

PM replied, Many thanks, looking forward to hearing from you..
TC ;)

TheCorfiot
7th October 2011, 16:40
Payment sent to PSO for Amstrad P&P, many thanks again ;)

Manual recieved from Jasey in fantastic condition, much appreciated my friend, going to start reading with a large coffee soon :lol:
I've left some feedback for you..

Chinners
7th October 2011, 16:52
Manual recieved from Jasey in fantastic condition, much appreciated my friend
Excellent :)

Going to start reading with a large coffee soon :lol:
I would recommend a nice mug of "Rocket Fuel (http://www.rocketfuel.uk.com/)", it's not the most exciting read there is!:coffee:...:wooha:...:blink:

Leaving feedback too!

TheCorfiot
11th October 2011, 19:09
CPC arrived today, superb packing :thumbsup:

The cassette fault turned out to be a split rubber on the take up idler, repaired with a touch of superglue and after a full strip down and refurb / clean up she is like new and 100% functional, works great with my modded DD1 floppy interface.

@PSO, many thanks indeed for your kindness and help ;)
Have left feedback for you :thumbsup:

Now would any of you nice people have an old 6128 they would like to get rid of.

PinkStabbyOne
11th October 2011, 20:39
Glad to be of assistance :D
I now have to get pics of the radio and rf adapter thing that stacks underneath the screen for offloaderings :D

John58
15th October 2011, 12:36
Hi TC

I don't have a complete 6128 but I do have a mother board from a 6128.

If you want it you can have it for postage cost about 4.50 I think.

John

Chinners
15th October 2011, 14:09
It should be easy to get it up and running - same connectors as the 464. You may need an additional 12v if you plan on using an internal 3" floppy drive, otherwise 12v isn't needed.

The only issue will be getting a keyboard for it to test. Checking my 6128, there are 2 ribbons to connect, one with 8 connectors, the other with 10 - not really a nice matrix to try rebuild :)

TheCorfiot
16th October 2011, 17:25
Hi TC

I don't have a complete 6128 but I do have a mother board from a 6128.

If you want it you can have it for postage cost about 4.50 I think.

John

That would be most kind indeed John :thumbsup:
Please hit me up on PM with your paypal deets & how much you would like me to transfer my friend...

The 6128 & 464 use the same keyboard matrix, which helps matters :lol:

My Thanks again
TC ;)

TheCorfiot
18th October 2011, 19:23
Recieved the Mobo from Jomor58 :thumbsup:

Many Thanks indeed my friend for your kindness (& the extra reading material ;))

Please see my thread in the photobooth to see the board being tested...:lol:

Feedback left :cool:

TC :)