AVG 8.5 Warning (Asus)

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Day's just gone pear shaped..

Customer with 2 x 1 month old Acer Veriton M464 PCs and AVG 8.5 Free (all updates for windows and AVG in place)
both had BSOD this morning (Pagefault in non-paged area) :evil:

It turns out removing AVG solves problem - and putting it back on brings the problem back :roll:
Not had this problem with any other machines out there with AVG on yet.

Just thought I'd let you know to save you some time if you come accross it :wink:

Re: AVG 8.5 Warning (Asus)

Thanks mate; were these machines on Vista, by any chance?

personal point of view time (no offence just my own experience) AVG is poo, catches f all viruses, can't deal with adware and a big cause of BSOD's now NOD32 on the other hand is a top piece of software well worth every penny :D

Vista x64 here, I use Avast as my main antivirus and have AVG and ClamWin installed just in case ;)
Also Windows Defender enabled, with Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster on.
All that securely hidden behind COMODO Personal Firewall. 8)

One thing I got to say about Vista - it doesn't BSOD anymore with multiple antivirus&firewall proggies... I tried, my hobby is getting the software on it's knees ;)

---=== EDITED ===---
Oh yeah, almost forgot... I did have some seriously annoying problems with AVG when the update DNS "feature" was selected - my router hanged the connection randomly after a few hours all the time...

Only ever one Real Anti Virus program for me. - Sophos -

No other Virus Checker even comes close, but paying for 3 Licences Minimum leaves a big hole in your Pocket. One of the big disadvantages with most Anti-Virul solutions is the front end they run on! Whoever thought Java was a suitable platform should consider another form of Employment! :roll:

The Vista "Thorn" tears so many holes, trying to have a stable rig is like trying to balance the whole computer on a Pin Head & cheese wire above a tank of Sulphuric Acid. What ever you try & do, it'll just crash & burn!
Windows Defender - aka - DCS - (Doesn't catch Sh*t), is about as much use as a chocolate Fire Guard! :LOL:

Caburys Mini Eggs anyone? :mrgreen:

Kin

Both PC's were XP Pro, I find AVG Free OK for general use but yes it has more than it's fair share of "issues"

Just a comment but only last week I had to deal with a badly infected PC with NOD32 - I think alot of this is down to users rather than which software they use.
I use Panda for more "At Risk" Users, it doesn't offer many choices it just says you had a virus rather than "this may be do you want to open it anyway" :wink:
Cant beat Malware Bytes for a bit of instant cleaning though :)

Hmm, some interesting comments there, chaps...

My machine runs XP Home SP3 with Eset Nod Antivirus 4, backed up by regular visits to the Trend Micro Housecall free scan site to check for malware and greyware.

My system is a solid as a rock and apart from fitting a Socket 370 CPU Fan on the GeForce 7300LE's heat sink to lower the temperature by 20 degrees, I have had no problems.

I totally agree, NOD with the heuristics turned on is brilliant, it doesn't take much out of line to trigger it; it's worth every penny.

Kin Hell said:
Whoever thought Java was a suitable platform should consider another form of Employment!

Yep, it's boghell slow. But your pain is their gain. When the customer just bitches on forums, and doesn't select another product. They save money on portability to other platforms. Java is semi portable you know.

Java is also a medium in which to be infected by Viruses, Spyware & malaware along with other wannabe abominations of OS destruction!

I wonder the real reason why Net Framework ended up @ Version 3 with a 350Mb Sevice pack after its inception! :roll:

Make's one almost glad to have an on-line Amiga tbh!

Kin

Meh. it makes you just want to run Linux in my opinion. At least you know what's installed then, because you installed it!

I've had similar issues with AVG in the past. With some PCs I've build, because the customers were using them for home use and they didn't want to spend more on commercial software I installed AVG on them. But it caused a BSOD after I had updated all the system drivers and the AVG database. After some investigation I discovered it was a conflict between ASUS motherboard drivers and AVG. Uninstalling the motherboard drivers allowed AVG to run perfectly, but reinstalling them caused the BSOD. I therefore removed AVG and installed a different free alternative. That was under XP SP2. Not sure if similar occurs with Vista.

These days I highly recommend Comodo Security suite as the best free Virus and Firewall solution. It has a small footprint, installs quickly, remains fairly quiet in the background, updates itself quietly and just informs you when an update has happened. It seems to catch malware, virus infections and firewall related breaches well. About the only annoying thing it does is with its heuristics virus scanning because it will often keep flagging the same file over and over again, every time you open its directory, even if you say to ignore it, until you designate the directory as safe and not to be scanned. It definitely hates cracks! ;) :LOL: But that is the only fault I've found to date.

However on my main PC I run Kaspersky 2009 and it is in my opinion the best commercial virus checker on the market at the moment. It's virus definitions and database get updates sometimes a few times in one hour. This keeps each update very small, but in turn completely up to date. It means that Kaspersky should always be up to date to within 1 hour of any new threats being discovered in the wild.

Specifically for firewalls I'm not as clear cut on what I would completely recommend. Generally for home use I use Comodo as it seems to work well, but for proper security that is robust I don't honestly think any of the current software solutions for firewalls do a perfect job. I used to really like Outpost Pro, but it got bloated and over complex in its last version release. It still did a great job, but was over complex. The best option is always a dedicated hardware firewall, but they can be very expensive and overkill for home users. You could of course always use an old PC as a firewall with the Linux based firewall software Smoothwall installed. http://www.smoothwall.org/

I used AVG once when it was not a total piece of useless software (read cr4p!). Today it is just this.

NOD32 and Avast are my choices now. :beer:

Shoonay said:
Vista x64 here, I use Avast as my main antivirus and have AVG and ClamWin installed just in case ;)
Also Windows Defender enabled, with Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster on.
All that securely hidden behind COMODO Personal Firewall. 8)...

Just what sort of virtual sewer do you regularly crawl through to need all that lot enabled? :wink:

Interesting Harrison, Kaspersky is a big no no to me, that is after any form of Symantec software :whistle:

I have a few customers using it (a local PC shop sell it who seem to insist you buy it even if you went in for a laptop bag) and I have seen the darker side to it. :shock:
It seems do deal with viruses OK and I cannot fault that but it has a few problems with workgroup networks -
It was on 4 PC's on a network and only three could ever see eachother by browsing and which three was random too :shock: you could use the dos promt to access files over the network but windows browser had no chance. I took this up with thier support and tried to rectify it with various googled ideas but all to no avail. I removed it and put something else on in the end.

Also.. when you disable the firewall for any reason it actually doesn't disable! as I found on another system. :banghead:

I might go and have a play with comodo for those customers who want a free one, it sounds OK :)

imnogeek said:
I might go and have a play with comodo for those customers who want a free one, it sounds OK :)

Yeah I think I'm going to look that one up too :thanks:

TC :mrgreen:

Yes, for a free soft COMODO INTERNET SECURITY has a great firewall and quite good antivirus.
But I'd advise to turn the Defence + Security modul as disabled unless you like to be annoyed with a requester at *EVERY SINGLE* file read/write ;)

imnogeek said:
Interesting Harrison, Kaspersky is a big no no to me, that is after any form of Symantec software :whistle:

You're telling me Gary! (y)

imnogeek said:

Is that for people who can't make it to the toilet? :blink:

Kin

Back
Top Bottom