PDA

View Full Version : Name of Game - overhead tank battle

moijk
1st November 2011, 08:30
This is a longshot, but I'm also interested in similar games.

On the good old 8086 I used to play a game with my brother where we both had the choice of a tank (I think it was three models) and then we entered a world where we saw a overhead view with a limited viewport of the playfield, and we drove around trying to find the other player and blow his arse out of the game.

It was a more advanced version of the idea behind Tank Plus (atari 2600) and Battle City (nes).

SkydivinGirl
1st November 2011, 20:30
Sounds like Fire Power / Firepower to me. It was originally made for the Amiga but there were ports of it for the Apple IIgs, Atari ST, C64 and DOS.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fire-power/

One of my favorite multi-player Amiga games. Could even be played over the modem with a friend.

Heather

drwho
1st November 2011, 20:41
A freind of mine and I played Fire Power relentlessly for over a year via modem. One of my favorite games of all time on the Amiga. :lol:

SkydivinGirl
1st November 2011, 20:55
You'll have to pick up one of the Lantronix modem emulators and we can play a few games over the Internet. I really want to play against someone again!

Heather

drwho
1st November 2011, 21:20
You'll have to pick up one of the Lantronix modem emulators and we can play a few games over the Internet. I really want to play against someone again!

Heather

Never knew such a thing existed! Any suggestions as to a model to purchase? I am sure there are many more uses for a gadget like this! :cool:

Mike

moijk
1st November 2011, 21:32
Sounds like Fire Power / Firepower to me. It was originally made for the Amiga but there were ports of it for the Apple IIgs, Atari ST, C64 and DOS.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fire-power/

One of my favorite multi-player Amiga games. Could even be played over the modem with a friend.

Woah. It looks very much like that one :) looks like it by the year, the start position, the selection of tanks and presentation seems very much like it. Hard to recall since it's 15 years since the last round. Only need to try it with a full keyboard so I can try the two player mode (dosbox).

I'm impressed. I thought this was a longshot. Thanks!

SkydivinGirl
2nd November 2011, 12:54
Never knew such a thing existed! Any suggestions as to a model to purchase? I am sure there are many more uses for a gadget like this! :cool:
I have used a UDS-10, UDS-1100 and an MSS-100 and they all have a modem emulation mode. Once you configure it, you connect it to your retro system just like an external modem, through the serial port. Instead of dialing a phone number, the modem emulator dials an IP address. For example, you would type ATDT 192.168.0.1 and it would dial up that IP address. :) The MSS-100 models require a null modem cable to connect to a computer, but the others just use a standard serial cable.

LOL! It really is a great game. I thought it was only made for the Amiga until I saw your question then did some digging. It's amazing how good the C64 version (http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=926) looks. I'll have to give it a try on my C128 some time. :D

Heather

moijk
2nd November 2011, 20:31
LOL! It really is a great game. I thought it was only made for the Amiga until I saw your question then did some digging. It's amazing how good the C64 version (http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=926) looks. I'll have to give it a try on my C128 some time. :D

Heather[/QUOTE]

I have to dig up the amiga version so I can have a go at the original. I played it on a monocrom monitor using cga-emulation on the hercules-clone card. :P (which gave some nasty artifacts when things were moving).

Still we had tons of fun. had to ask my little brother if he remembered it, but he was 7-8 at the time so he was blank.

drwho
2nd November 2011, 21:03
Is this game legal "abandonware" now? Cant find any info about it's status.