A1200 with Blizzard 1230 & HD

sarek2k

Country
Morecambe, UK
Region
Lancashire
I have a an A1200 with Blizzard 1230mk1 (030) with a HD and a Scandoubler i noticed
when i plug in the Expansion the screen seems to flicker a bit more maybe cause of the increased power load?

Is the Light type Brick psu not strong enough for all the Addon's ? I have been using said Amiga for a few years and it's
always been fine!

Re: A1200 with Blizzard 1230 & HD

@sarek2k

Hello my friend, good to hear you, :D

When you say Light brick do you mean A1200/600 type or A500 type.

If it's an A500 type have a look underneath & check the rating for the +5V if it's 4.5A then it should be fine provided you don't have extra floppy drives..etc

It could be the PSU is showing it's age & starting to ripple badly, esp if the effect gets worse when inserting the 030 expansion.

OR

Do you notice the effect mainly during HD or Floppy access. If so there is a well known mod regarding a 1 Microfarad cap being soldered onto the main board which alleviates this very common issue, It is very well documented over at EAB

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=4 ... 00+Flicker

If the mod looks too involved for you, Feel free to send me your Mobo & I'll carry it out for you.

So check your Mobo revision & if possible try another A500 PSU first (+5v , 4.5Amp)

Let me know if I can help

TC (y)

Another good advice is replace the original with an ATX power supply. Ian Stedman's page show how to do, and he sells ATX-to-Amiga converters.

MY personal advice? Locate an old Compaq Presario 135W ATX PSU. It is incredible small and silent and easy to hack into an A500 brick.

Goodbye underpowered brick. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice guys! It says output 5v.

the only reason i posted about this was because i am putting all this gear up for sale soon when i decide on a price.

I just didn't want it being a problem for a new owner.

I did once have a goliath psu but i gave it to someone on E.A.B as i wasn't using it.

the A1200 also has a scandoubler, and 2 external drives but they wherent plugged in at the time.

@sarek2k

What is the PSU's current capacity supplied by the +5V my friend ?, this is the most important factor. :wink:

Underneath the powerbrick alongside the Voltages a current rating should also be displayed for example,

+5V - 4.5A (but you may have 3.0A if it is an A1200/A600 PSU)

This will identify If the PSU is up to the job and ensure troublefree operation when you pass the system on.

TC 8)

Back
Top Bottom