Not open for further replies.

lomayani

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Hi, I just need a simple no frills RAM upgrade for my a1200 to allow me to play most WHDload games.

I would love an accelerator with uber ram, but after this weekend at r3play I am now flat broke!

Cheers :D

J

Not really, I just need a cheap solution... do you have something?

I can't sell you one of mines due the outrageous postage costs, but I advice you to get a Blizzard or Apollo 1220 with 4Mb (or 8Mb) RAM.

Those old-school accelerators are fast enough to lease a new life to the A1200 and have enough RAM to run a good chunk of the WHDLoad available games.

And the best part is they are CHEAP, even compared to simple memory add-ons and very often they are cheaper!:blink:

All the blizzard ones I have seen on ebay go for around 4 times what I paid for the a1200!!!

Unless I am looking at the wrong thing??

Last edited by a moderator:
You're thiniking of Blizzard 1230's.

Rkuer mentioned the Blizzard 1220 which go for a massive amount less than that and make a massive improvement to your 1200.

I cannot say how much as it can be seen as price driving.

On a side note I just upgraded mine with a basic 4 meg upgrade and most games run sweet on WHDload but I really wanted to play Elite 2 : Frontier but it runs at something silly like 3-5 fps. I noticed there's a socket to put some kind of clock accelerator, does anyone know if that buying this would improve this game since it's calculating a lot of Geometry.

Thx

Treb.

The socket available on most (all?) RAM extensions & accelerators is for a FPU (floating point unit), which adds a huge speed up in floating point mathematical calculations. I don't know if Elite needs a FPU.

Elite needs no FPU as standard but does benefit from one being present IIRC. Better off with a faster CPU though IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom