CPU Upgrade Options for A3000T

drwho

Country
USA
Region
Massachusetts
I recently purchased an A3000T from quarkx here on Amibay which has not arrived yet, but, I am already thinking about upgrading it. :roll:

I'm having trouble finding information though on what options are available. I would at least like an 060, if possible, but, if there were a PPC option I would consider that as well.

It *seems* like I could use CPU boards made for the A4000, but, I am not sure if that is correct or not.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the options that are available out there, if any?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

For the A3000T, you're pretty much free to use any A4000 board. There are a few boards that aren't A3000D compatible purely because of size and restricted space in the A3000, but electrically, the connections are the same.

The A3000D and T models need something called an INT_2 mod done if you want to use a card with SCSI on it. If you bought Quarkx's A3000T, it's likely he's done that to it already.

Certainly, you should have no problems running a Cyberstorm PPC on the brute!

Yes you can use any 4000 board, so Cyberstorm MK I / II / III / PPC or Warpengine 4040.
For using the onboard SCSI you'll need to check if the INT2 mod has been done, else it won't work, well it will work, but you can finish a cup of coffee in the time it takes to boot, 10 min or more.

For using the onboard SCSI you'll need to check if the INT2 mod has been done, else it won't work, well it will work, but you can finish a cup of coffee in the time it takes to boot, 10 min or more.

...and perhaps check if you have this chip!

I never got around to changing the battery, so I never removed the motherboard to check if the mod was done. I suspect that because of the condition and the fact that it still had the original ROM's, the mod was never done. The unit is in very nice shape and is a close to virgin or factory as one could get. The only Mod I can see done (and I am not sure if this was/is factory) is the video card slot was cut longer in the case to fit in a VT2000 card.
I wanted to ship it this morning, but we have a small blizzard going right now and a few other bumps, so hopefully I can get it out tomorrow.

...and perhaps check if you have this chip!

When you refer to "on board" SCSI, I assume that you mean the interface on the 3000's motherboard. Is there a compelling reason why I would not want to use the SCSI interface that lives on a CPU upgrade that I purchase, if there is SCSI on it that is?

For information: The A3000D has a larger cutout for the video slot as well, for the same reason, so you can use A2000 video cards.

Regarding SCSI. The A3000 on-board SCSI isn't bad, but you'll get far better performance from the SCSI on a CPU accelerator, especially if it's a CSIII/CSPPC since they have UW SCSI. At that point, there's little point worrying about the A3000's on-board SCSI.

If you want to use SCSI on an accelerator with the A3000, you'll need the INT_2 mod. The instructions for said mod are here:
http://amiga.serveftp.net/A3000_INT2_mod.html (This describes the mod on an A3000D, you'll need to modify it slightly to work with an A3000T, but the principle is the same.)
http://amiga.serveftp.net/A3000_INT2_mod.html

@AndyLandy

Ok, that's what I thought, but, needed some clarification.

I will keep a lookout for a Blizzard card. I assume that if a card has both 060 and PPC, I could only use the 060 on pre-AmigaOS 4, is that correct?

@AndyLandy

Ok, that's what I thought, but, needed some clarification.

I will keep a lookout for a Blizzard card. I assume that if a card has both 060 and PPC, I could only use the 060 on pre-AmigaOS 4, is that correct?

Strictly speaking, Blizzard cards are for A1200s. The Phase 5/DCE accelerators for the A3000/A4000 are called Cyberstorm.

If you're running AmigaOS 3.9, most of the grunt-work will be done by the '060, but there is some PPC support in there.

You sure want to use the SCSI port on the CPU card you are buying.
Way faster then the one mounted on the motherboard.

The 74F08F is not needed by all cards, i have tried to use google and found only one card that demanded it.
I have none in my 3000T but i had one in my 3000D, both worked great with my Cyberstorm PPC card.

And the PPC CPU will be used in 3.9 in some application and games.

But check with the seller if the Int2 mod is done to the motherboard first :)

You sure want to use the SCSI port on the CPU card you are buying.
Way faster then the one mounted on the motherboard.

The 74F08F is not needed by all cards, i have tried to use google and found only one card that demanded it.
I have none in my 3000T but i had one in my 3000D, both worked great with my Cyberstorm PPC card.

And the PPC CPU will be used in 3.9 in some application and games.

But check with the seller if the Int2 mod is done to the motherboard first :)

The mod has not been done, as far as he knows, and that's ok with me. I would agree with you that using the SCSI on the accellerator would be the best way to go.

Plus, if I don't have to muck around with the motherboard, why would I even want to? :blink:

You will have to "muck around with the motherboard" if you want to use an accelerator's SCSI. You'll probably have to do the INT_2 even if you have no intentions of using the SCSI on an accelerator. The mere presence of an accelerator's SCSI interface will probably necessitate the INT_2 mod. Sorry!

The motherboard needs to be removed and you will need to solder a wire between 2 points.

int2_1.jpg

This is the 3000D version so it does not look the same.

Did not find a pic on the 3000T int2 mod and i cant remember where i did place it :p
I bet some one else here can tell you exactly where you need to solder.

Here is a guide on the 3000D if you like to read some.
http://powerup.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=29

The mod is basically the same, you just need to jumper-wire pin 21 of the U350 CIA to pin 82 of CN606, the CPU Fast slot.

Ok, so it looks like I wont have much choice in the matter then. :dry:

That's ok though, I think it will be a while before I can afford to buy something like that anyway. In the meantime, I will do some research on the mod. I'm something of an electronics hobbyist as well, and this looks like a pretty simple thing to do.

Thanks for all of the great information guys! :)

Back
Top Bottom