Q: Akasa thermal adhesive tape

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Hi, I just bought this product, to use as thermal conductor between 68k and/or ppc and heatsink/fan.

But on the product page it says
Akasa said:
Note: Provides semi-permanent bonding, not design for quick removal, not recommended for CPU / GPU usage.

Should I care? Or should I source another product?

Re: Q: Akasa thermal adhesive tape

Mate, I take the liberty to fix the link (a slight typo).

Yes, depending on what chip you to apply a heatsink, that one is perfect. I don't recommend this exact type, myself: too strong bond. Akasa have more efficient type (more thermal conduction and weak bond). Look for it.

Some other types/makes provide a good, if weaker bond, but are easier to remove while hot. i.e. when the system has been running for a while (or using a hair dryer). Which makes removal easier at a later date if needed.

I personally would use a thermal compound that is also able to form a bond as these can be removed much easier than a tape or pad based solution.

I have Artic Silver, but I don't think it will make a bond, and thus can't be used on my PPC card. As there is not fastening mechanisms for heatsink/fan.

arnljot said:
I have Artic Silver, but I don't think it will make a bond, and thus can't be used on my PPC card. As there is not fastening mechanisms for heatsink/fan.

I'm mistaken, there is on the PPC, but not on the 060

People used to use a small dot of epoxy resin or super glue at each corner to glue the heatsinks onto the chips. And putting the chip in the freezer will weaken the bond if you ever wish to remove it again.

Back
Top Bottom